are there many Christians in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is out of curiousity. Many Christians I know pursue medicine b/c the field is known to require "big self-scarifice" in order to serve and heal the health of others. Wherease, from what I've observed so far, most students "generally" go into Dental schools, hoping to acheive a good life style, security, and money once they become dentists in the future.

So, are there many Christian students attending Dental school? Maybe current Dental students can comment on their observation. Are there many Christian dentists outta there?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

are you kidding me? everyone in my class is christian, but two guys. I'm jewish, and there's a mormon.

Smooth Operater said:
This is out of curiousity. Many Christians I know pursue medicine b/c the field is known to require "big self-scarifice" in order to serve and heal the health of others. Wherease, from what I've observed so far, most students "generally" go into Dental schools, hoping to acheive a good life style, security, and money once they become dentists in the future.

So, are there many Christian students attending Dental school? Maybe current Dental students can comment on their observation. Are there many Christian dentists outta there?

I haven't heard anything of the sort of christians going into medicine to pursure the "big self-sacrafice" as you speak of. I think that most people go into medicine or dentistry to make a good lifestyle for themselves and/or for their family. A lot of dental grads are medicine rejects however!!!!! But again most that I know just do it for the lifestyle for themselves or for their family the latter usually being the case..... Now with that said, I know MANY christians in my class. matter of fact, I think most of my class are christians. SOme are from IRAQ or places like that and are not, but for the majority most are!!!! Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is interesting that Mormons get their own catagory since we do worship Jesus Christ too :) :) :)

It sounds like a rare thing indeed for only one Mormon to be in that dental school, we have a number more than that.

grtuck

yeah. well i live in the south where there are hardly any jews or mormons. that's why i'm going to ny after i graduate. screw this. i'm so culture deprived. lol

ItsGavinC said:
Little to none.
NOW guys, don't let pride get in the way!!!!!! I would say that 25-35% of my class admitted that they couldn't get into med school, so they chose the dental path. I see nothing wrong with it, but it does exist and you guys know it!!!!!!!!

c132 said:
NOW guys, don't let pride get in the way!!!!!! I would say that 25-35% of my class admitted that they couldn't get into med school, so they chose the dental path. I see nothing wrong with it, but it does exist and you guys know it!!!!!!!!
I don't know of anyone in my class who took that route. [shrug]

A lot of people hide it and think that if they admit it then they will be thought of as dumb!!! :eek:

Smooth Operater said:

Who cares how many Christians there are? Or for that matter Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhits, etc. Why does that matter. And you speak as though if you are Christian, you are automatically devoted to self-sacrifice. There are plenty of selfish Christians (and Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc). More importantly, how are dentists less self-sacrificing. We do 4 years and work hard afterwards as well.

Not sure how it plays out, but I know less than five (out of about 100 people) that went dental, and changed or wished they had gone MD. I know about the same number of medical that wished they had done dentistry. I think you will find that no matter what career you look at, someone thinks the grass is greener on the other side.

IMHO and from my experience, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with dentistry, and it's not because I couldn't do Medical.

grtuck

Members don't see this ad :)
c132 said:
A lot of people hide it and think that if they admit it then they will be thought of as dumb!!! :eek:

I met the first mormon up here in dental school! There are actually 2 mormons in class and both are married (some of them get married young!).

As far as the medical school comment by this dumb troll is concerned, I asked around and only 1 out of 115 students took the MCAT and tried both paths. This kid actually got accepted in med school, but refused it for dentistry.

who are you calling a dumb troll? I know a lot more dentistry than you, so if I am dumb what are you, just plain stupid?

Better watch the name calling bud!

EHA DDS said:
Who cares how many Christians there are? Or for that matter Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhits, etc. Why does that matter. And you speak as though if you are Christian, you are automatically devoted to self-sacrifice. There are plenty of selfish Christians (and Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc). More importantly, how are dentists less self-sacrificing. We do 4 years and work hard afterwards as well.

Exactly. Who cares.

Right on!!!!

c132 said:

I don't see anything wrong with it either, and it certainly does happen, but your statement is a general blanket statement based on your class alone. That hardly constitutes evidence that engages a statement such as "a lot," which is the qualifier you used in your original post.

That only constitutes "some," and only at your school.

Fully 1/3 of my class have a parent or parents who are dentists, including me. I daresay most dental students in this category did not give much thought to going into medicine.

I can't say for the other 2/3 though... As far as those who wanted to go to medical school but "had to settle for dental school instead" and end up being bitter dentists with a grudge, I'm glad I haven't seen anyone like that in my class in the four years I've known those guys. :oops:

As far as religion goes, yep there are plenty of Christians in my class... But there are also Jews as well (hey, it's Noo Yawk, LOL), and also a good contingent of Hindu Buddhists, and two Muslims. Plus a few who believe in "others" (like Taoism, which is popular with people with Far East heritage).

I didn't mean to dig a hole here!!!! SORRY GUYS!!!! NE ways I was going to say I don't think we have any mormons in our school at all!!!!!

There are several of us who are Jewish in my class (unusual for the South, but cool :D ). There are two Mormons and the rest are Christian - I think. If I had to describe the major religious persuasion in my class though I'd probably check the box that said "Apathetic." For the most part Christian and Jewish seem to be more about cultural heritage than about spirituality; the only ones who truly define their lives by their faith are an ex-pastor and the Mormons. Two years doing nothing but missionary work??! ...talk about devotion. :eek:

C132, where do you go to school? I could see a few med rejects at a "safety" school. But for the most part if you have the stats to get into dental school you can get into med school somewhere. I mean, I know kids who were out and out STUPID (we're talking ~2.0 GPA here) who got into Caribbean MD programs. (No offense to caribbean med students; I know there are still a lot of smart people in those programs.) Your statement just makes no sense to me. Either you're fibbing or your classmates are just plain fools who didn't bother to even look at the options available to them.