Are there PA and MD that work with flight transport?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDr.T

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just curious if there are Doctors or PA's that work in flight transport? I am just curious because I recently heard there was flight nurses.

Members don't see this ad.

I have only ever seen RNs utilized for this, but it may be different in other areas of the country. I'm not sure what other's have seen.

Are you referring to emergency transport specifically? Usually emergency transport aircraft are covered by a nurse and a paramedic (depending on the state, the two licenses complement each other well with each one capable of doing things the other cannot), but some medical transport services use a doctor. See this one: Air Ambulance Services | Medical Capabilities - AirMed International

I don't know about PA/NP. My sense is that these services are generally premium and therefore are less likely to go for midlevel providers, but I don't know enough about the topic to say for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to emergency transport specifically? Usually emergency transport aircraft are covered by a nurse and a paramedic (depending on the state, the two licenses complement each other well with each one capable of doing things the other cannot), but some medical transport services use a doctor. See this one: Air Ambulance Services | Medical Capabilities - AirMed International

I don't know about PA/NP. My sense is that these services are generally premium and therefore are less likely to go for midlevel providers, but I don't know enough about the topic to say for sure.
Great! Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Working in EMS, I can tell you that the RN + paramedic combination is standard. Specialty services (e.g. neonatal, high risk OB, critical care) frequently have a respiratory therapist. Higher quality agencies will put a physician on flights with extremely critical patients. Physicians are standard on HEMS (helicopter EMS) agencies in many European and Australian services.

The only time I've seen a mid-level provider on a flight was an NNP (neonatal NP) working with an RN on a neonatal transport service.