Are There People Who Rely too Heavily on Being in a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How can we ignore the fact though that the statistics of URM for the cut off of "good enough" are obviously lower then a Caucasian or Asian applicant. I don't understand how we continue to look the other way in terms of knowingly setting the standard for URM lower then let say a average white american applicant. Why is race even considered on the application? An ADCOM should have no idea what the race of the applicant is. Being a certain race does not always mean you had more or less hardship then some other race.

Source:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/2012factstable19.pdf
But..it kinda does. This just reality. Racial differences and social upbringing based on race doesn't go away when one applies for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Funny, bc Dr. Carson in a recent interview said that what makes people who they are, are their brains, not their skin color. You might want to research his actual positions on things. Guess what: EVERYONE feels like they've had it tougher than everyone else.
You're definitely right, Dr. Carson does not feel special consideration should be given based on race. However, he does feel special consideration should be given based on "circumstances in one's life."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/18/carson-beyond-affirmative-action/?page=all

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you read his article again with the example he noted, genius. Circumstances in one's life doesn't = skin color.
No, I just agreed with you GENIUS. I never said circumstances = skin color. I'm explaining what he feels should be considered for other posters who don't know.

Reactions: 1 users
No one is entitled to practice medicine based on their MCAT and GPA. URMs often bring new opinions to the table. We need a decent number of each race at the negotiating table to make sure no race feel un-included in medicine. Therefore we employ this type of admission's process. Also, you really don't need a 30+ MCAT to succeed in medical school. I'd say most with even a 25 could succeed so long as they worked hard. Being a URM is not the only thing we use as a selection factor. Gender is also a significant factor. Most schools work to maintain a near 50-50 ratio of men to women even though the number of applicant is not in a 50-50 ratio, yet I don't see anyone complaining about that. I'd imagine this is done to not make medicine a one-sex dominated field since that would be an inconvenience to the minority. So long as races have different cultures (change goes slowly), we're probably going to continue to employ race-based admissions. In addition, from the URM interviews I've heard of, many questions are asked to determine a URM's true underserved status and in addition, questions are asked about it in your AMCAS. It would be difficult to fake the URM mold medical schools target. All this said, I am fundamentally against race-based consideration in medical school. I am just trying to rationalize the decision.

No one is entitled to practice medicine based on their MCAT and GPA. URMs often bring new opinions to the table. We need a decent number of each race at the negotiating table to make sure no race feel un-included in medicine. Therefore we employ this type of admission's process. Also, you really don't need a 30+ MCAT to succeed in medical school. I'd say most with even a 25 could succeed so long as they worked hard. Being a URM is not the only thing we use as a selection factor. Gender is also a significant factor. Most schools work to maintain a near 50-50 ratio of men to women even though the number of applicant is not in a 50-50 ratio, yet I don't see anyone complaining about that. I'd imagine this is done to not make medicine a one-sex dominated field since that would be an inconvenience to the minority. So long as races have different cultures (change goes slowly), we're probably going to continue to employ race-based admissions. In addition, from the URM interviews I've heard of, many questions are asked to determine a URM's true underserved status and in addition, questions are asked about it in your AMCAS. It would be difficult to fake the URM mold medical schools target. All this said, I am fundamentally against race-based consideration in medical school. I am just trying to rationalize the decision.
And you're doing a bad job so far in rationalizing with statements like, "We need a decent number of each race at the negotiating table to make sure no race feel un-included."

Reactions: 1 user
First two seasons were alright when I was a kid. Looking back as an adult though, it was a pretty awful show.

Are you looking back at the American dubbed or at the original? The reason the American one is so slow moving (lots of nature scenes/music/standing around) is because they cut out all the sex and very gory violence :D

...I used to set my alarm for 5am so that I could watch my VHS recordings on volume 1 so my parents didn't realize I was breaking their ban on non-appropriate for a 10-year-old girl TV....Good thing my mom never knew how to tell whether the machine was set to auto record :cool:

Edit: to keep the thread on topic...again, I get that applicants care whether or not THEY get into their school of choice, but we all have to remember that non applicants don't actually care who does or does not get in as long as the M1s are all good enough. Medical school is a buyer's market - no one ever said that all good candidates are entitled to a seat at a good school.

Reactions: 1 users