Are there RNs with disabilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What kind of physical/medical requirements have to be met to become a registered nurse?

Are good eyesight, hearing, and motor skills necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of physical/medical requirements have to be met to become a registered nurse?

Are good eyesight, hearing, and motor skills necessary?

I would say you need decent eye sight, hearing, and motor skills - more importantly you need a keen eye for changing patient conditions, great time management, a certain level of intelligence, and the ability to walk 5-15 miles a day.

Are there physically disabled nurses? Yes - but they don't work in the busy areas of the hospital and are probably in the clinics, management, informatics, or teaching.

So keeping up with patient care and being able to complete your evaluated skills up would be necessary. I would imagine that any facility would have to meet some kindness of Americans with disability act accommodations, but I’m. It sure what accommodations they would have to make. If you can’t carry on in the role, you can’t carry on in the role. Nursing in most environments is largely a one player game where you have your group of patients to manage, and not a lot of help. When I was working the medical units, i had to be able to hear at an appropriate level, have my vision be able to be corrected to an appropriate level, and have my motor skills to the level of competence to do a list of skills that included placing Ivs, as well as other things that demanded fine motor skills. But there are literally hundreds of roles for folks with an RN. Now, getting through nursing school without being able to perform well is another question, but you could consult a title nine office and they can help you with accommodation, and they will. I know folks who contacted the title 9 office about their h with issues and got all sorts of accommodation.

It might be easier for you to tell us what disability you are concerned with...