Are there six year programs anywhere for students with an AS degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamnitrox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in community college right now getting some of the prerequisites done like chemistry and biology etc. So I looked online and there are 6 and 7 year programs for kids right out of high school, but are there any six year programs for students who have an associate's degree? I would much rather find a bs/md program somewhere that accepts people with associate's degrees than having to go to my local college (no med school) and keep transferring schools. I think it waould also keep me really focused to do a six year program. I hear that some of them dont require you to take the MCAT as well. (I do understand that you need to take it though for some residencies) I have looked and looked online all day and cant seem to find any answers. Any help would be really hot! Thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

I am in community college right now getting some of the prerequisites done like chemistry and biology etc. So I looked online and there are 6 and 7 year programs for kids right out of high school, but are there any six year programs for students who have an associate's degree? I would much rather find a bs/md program somewhere that accepts people with associate's degrees than having to go to my local college (no med school) and keep transferring schools. I think it waould also keep me really focused to do a six year program. I hear that some of them dont require you to take the MCAT as well. (I do understand that you need to take it though for some residencies) I have looked and looked online all day and cant seem to find any answers. Any help would be really hot! Thanks alot

I have never heard of an associates to MD program.

As you said, your best bet would be to transfer to a university that accepts your credits and has a BS to MD articulated program.

Or, you can slow down and enjoy life while getting your education. This would be my choice.

No, there aren't any. BS/MD programs are an attempt to get some of the most promising high school students into a guarantee to a medical school. Early acceptance programs are an attempt to get at the most promising undergrads before the application season starts. There's a reason med schools don't have six year programs for associates-- med schools aren't scouring community colleges for the best students because not the most promising students are found there.

The best bet for an "easier" way into medical school for you is to go to a four-year university and apply to an early acceptance program. Or just apply the regular way, just like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, there aren't any. BS/MD programs are an attempt to get some of the most promising high school students into a guarantee to a medical school. Early acceptance programs are an attempt to get at the most promising undergrads before the application season starts. There's a reason med schools don't have six year programs for associates-- med schools aren't scouring community colleges for the best students because not the most promising students are found there.

The best bet for an "easier" way into medical school for you is to go to a four-year university and apply to an early acceptance program. Or just apply the regular way, just like everyone else.

I highgly doubt that promising students ONLY go to state universities. Some of us dont have our dad's pocketbook to help foot the bill.

The only six year program in the US that I know of is at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, however it only enrolls students right out of high school. There are also a few programs in Eastern Europe aimed at North American students, but much like UMKC, they are meant for students who have just graduated from high school. Your best bet sounds like transferring to a 4 year college and completing your degree there--good luck!

I highgly doubt that promising students ONLY go to state universities. Some of us dont have our dad's pocketbook to help foot the bill.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about state universities. BS/MD programs are offered at both private and state universities.