Are 'Waitlisted' applicants part of 'Accepted' stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnk12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being annoying, but I couldn't find a concrete answer to this question.

When schools publish accepted/matriculated stats, say for example 500 accepted/250 matriculated, are people that COME OFF the waitlist and are accepted count under the "Accepted" stats?

I was thinking that the answer is an obvious yes, but it's just I read a thread a while back saying that waitlisted applicants who come off the waitlist DON'T count as accepted (even though they were accepted). That's why some schools have stats like 8 accepted, 10 enrolled (for internationals) where the sample size is small.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm almost positive they do count. Or at least it would very much seem not to make sense to do it any other way...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost positive they do count. Or at least it would very much seem not to make sense to do it any other way...

Yes. Accept means accept. Sorry to get your hopes up, but my sense on MD schools is that not many people come off the wait list.

Ok fair enough, but then why do some schools have stats like "8 accepted, 10 matriculated"? (I saw that stat somewhere, but not sure if it was an error).

Ok fair enough, but then why do some schools have stats like "8 accepted, 10 matriculated"? (I saw that stat somewhere, but not sure if it was an error).

Was it just this one school? If yes, it could be an error or maybe two people deferred their acceptance from the year before and matriculated a year later

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Accept means accept. Sorry to get your hopes up, but my sense on MD schools is that not many people come off the wait list.

If you search the school specific threads many have 10+ reports of getting acepted off waitlists (e.g. NYU 2014). If you assume that
A) The reports are mostly accurate (I would assume they are but who knows)
B) The proportion of "SDNers" to "Non-SDNers" is about 1/10 (For some reason very confident of that stat despite just pulling it out of my...)

That would mean close to 100...

#statsstraightfromtheass

Sorry for being annoying, but I couldn't find a concrete answer to this question.

When schools publish accepted/matriculated stats, say for example 500 accepted/250 matriculated, are people that COME OFF the waitlist and are accepted count under the "Accepted" stats?
Thanks.
Yes.

Some schools are well known for having lots of waitlist movement. It can vary a lot, even year to year at the same school.

For MD schools it depends, every school is different. For instance, Hopkins is notorious for having a large and actively moving waitlist. Jefferson takes about 1/3 of its class from its high priority waitlist. At other schools, however, it's probably the kiss of death.

Tulane and Brown historically have very little to no waitlist movement. Buffalo goes through almost all of its waitlist.