Are we supposed to proof read our MSPE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its school dependent but are we allowed to proof our MSPE? Or is no student supposed to see the MSPE? Sort of like the LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

we can proofread it at our school

No, you can see it. Supposedly its part of your academic record, so they're supposed to show it to you.

I'm glad they let me proofread mine because I found some errors, like they had written the wrong undergrad degree!

We proofread for factual errors. Otherwise, the content (e.g., which evaluation comments are used) is non-negotiable.

We proofread for factual errors. Otherwise, the content (e.g., which evaluation comments are used) is non-negotiable.

doesn't that mean negative evals can be included? i was under the impression that the dean's letter was for the most part 100% positive

doesn't that mean negative evals can be included? i was under the impression that the dean's letter was for the most part 100% positive

Obviously, negative comments are not factual. ;)

Obviously, negative comments are not factual. ;)

So apparently I was told by my school that we can't edit the content. Therefore the line "Ceez does not know his ass from his head. Average med student" will stand.

So apparently I was told by my school that we can't edit the content. Therefore the line "Ceez does not know his ass from his head. Average med student" will stand.

At my school (LECOM) we are not allowed to even seen them...talk about total BS! If you demand to see them (like a LOR) they will write in your Dean's letter that you viewed it and they also said the letter will not be "as glowing" if you do read it.

At my school (LECOM) we are not allowed to even seen them...talk about total BS! If you demand to see them (like a LOR) they will write in your Dean's letter that you viewed it and they also said the letter will not be "as glowing" if you do read it.

tell your dean i think he/she is a douchebag. talk about lame. best of luck though.

You should definitely proofread your MSPE. I found several errors in mine, including the wrong GPA and class rank.

A classmate of mine found her undergrad GPA to be wildly off, like greater than half a point. Like, how did you get into med school GPA.

When she inquired, the registrar's office was initially rude, acted like it didn't matter. She pressed on, and later they revealed that soemone else's transcript was in her file. Pretty lame.

I know, "it doesn't matter what your undergrad GPA is". Then why is it included in my school's MSPE? And why was I asked this question today during my RESIDENCY interview?

A classmate of mine found her undergrad GPA to be wildly off, like greater than half a point. Like, how did you get into med school GPA.

When she inquired, the registrar's office was initially rude, acted like it didn't matter. She pressed on, and later they revealed that soemone else's transcript was in her file. Pretty lame.

I know, "it doesn't matter what your undergrad GPA is". Then why is it included in my school's MSPE? And why was I asked this question today during my RESIDENCY interview?

I read my dean's letter after it got uploaded to ersa and downloaded by programs. It had my step 1 score 9 points lower then what it actually was on it. I don't wanna sound like a whinner, but dude why couldn't they have made the mistake and said I was AOA or something? Why do these dean letter mistakes always gotta hurt you and never help? If it had said I was AOA and I wasn't, I'm sure they would of corrected that real quick. :rolleyes:

At Pitt, we have one chance to review our Dean's letter. These are dictated letters so people find lots of typos. Even the specialties can be listed wrong, ie. applying to Peds but letter says Emed :eek:

i think that's complete crap if you guys can't see your dean's letters :mad: . at my school, not only are we allowed to review our dean's letters as many times as we want, the deans' who write our letters only keep comments that are consistent from rotation to rotation, but if there is an obvious outlier, like "the student is a douchebag" (even though that might not be an outlier for some :rolleyes: ), they will keep that out :thumbup: . we can also challenge comments that are included and they actually take those under consideration (!). they also allow us to add M4 elective grades/comments to it (i know some of my buddies at other schools told me it only included their M3 comments, which i think is bull especially considering if you're doing something where you don't get exposure till M4 year, those comments won't be included).

the student programs people at my school rock, and they really do their best to make the MSPE as nice, but honest, as possible. they want their students to do well, and they know that the MSPE can influence some programs :) . i'm sorry for those of you who get screwed over by your schools, because that is complete and utter bs :smuggrin: .

why would your school want to do anything to hurt you??? :confused: doesn't make any sense to me.

good luck to all of you though regardless.

Where are you people going who have undergrad GPA's and the specialty you are applying to in the MSPE? Ours just has whatever rotation evals are in at the time it is written, along with the adjective that is based on weeks of honors and near honors in our required rotation (we are pass-fail for everything else including 1st and 2nd year). Weird.

Where are you people going who have undergrad GPA's and the specialty you are applying to in the MSPE? Ours just has whatever rotation evals are in at the time it is written, along with the adjective that is based on weeks of honors and near honors in our required rotation (we are pass-fail for everything else including 1st and 2nd year). Weird.

Agreed. My school does not put undergrad grades/GPAs, nor does it put USMLE scores since transcripts are sent anyway for those. The only thing they put was where I went to undergrad and my undergrad major. It also does not include 1st or 2nd year grades since those are sent in your school's transcripts. All mine included was my undergrad and medical school, a paragraph that my dean put in about my background and the things i've brought to the school, comments from my rotations/grades, and finally, where i fell in regards to my peers.

i guess every school does it differently which seems kinda silly cuz how are you supposed to compare one school to another then? :confused:

weird indeed.