Are you going to work after getting into Pharmacy schoo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raining

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boss asked me the fall schedule, see if I have to time to work in the pharmacy during the first year pharmacy school. I am struggling it now... heard that it would pretty bulky to take the 18 credit hours per semester.

So since you are accepted by pharm school, are you going to work? How many hours per week then?

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't work up until the first tests just to make sure you can handle it. maybe a day once a month or something up until you get a feel for it.

bbmuffin said:
i wouldn't work up until the first tests just to make sure you can handle it. maybe a day once a month or something up until you get a feel for it.

Seriously?! I'm planning on working once a week..maybe 10-12 hours. I need $!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to work, but until I can figure out how much I can handle, I'm only going to work on Saturdays. If I can handle more I might pick up a night or two during the week, but I just don't know yet.

Pharmacy Intern pay is a joke. (Pregrad).

I might do it for a day a week just for the sake of experience.

For spending money though, Kaplan Test Prep all the way! :thumbup:

I heard from my friends in pharm school that you will go crazy if you don't work. I plan on working 1-2 days a week before classes 4-8 hours a week and one saturday a month at my hospital.

I am going to have to work, and I was thinking about 15-20 hours a week (2 days)...but I will have to first see how my classes are going, then determine what I can handle. During undergrad I worked 40 hours a week and volunteered 10 hrs per week at a hospital and I was fine. During my interview I spoke to a student who was working 40 hours a week and he was a second year, so that gives me confidence that I should be able to pull off 15-20 hrs per week.

I don't know what to do... See, as of now, I'm only working only 5 hours a week (my last undergrad semester just ended; so that's why I have been working only 5 hours a week to study for exams and etc). I suspect soon the pharmacist I work with might ask me if I want to work more... and I don't know what to say. Is it best to just say that I want to quit altogether for the first year and focus solely on my studies and see how things go, or should I maintain the few hours per week that I work? My problem is saying "no" to the pharmacist when I need to; feel as if I'm being rude or something. Do you guys have the same feeling, or do you readily say no?

I'm a current PS1 (almost second year :) ). I've worked 14 hours a week this entire year; between Saturday and Sunday. Some weeks, if needed I work more if I can. I also worked full time during breaks.

My pharmacy manager is very understanding and if I can't come in "extra" that's fine. Also, as long as I give notice if I need a weekend off (I may have taken 3 off all year), I have no problem getting the time. She knows first hand how stressful school is and that I need a break every once in a while.

Because of our schedule this coming quarter, I'm hoping to add another shift during the week and get up to 20 hours or so. I've also heard of people workign even more than that. It depends on the individual. But, don't feel bad about saying "No;" only you know how much you can handle and school needs to be your primary focus.