Are you limited by the WREB when choosing a state to practice in as an OMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sal18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me whether or not you're still limited by the WREB when choosing a state to practice after completing speciality training? My dental school had us take the WREB, and I'm wondering if states where the WREB isn't covered would let me practice there as an OMS even though I didn't take the dental licensure exam they wanted.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is you will need to re-take a different licensure exam if you move to a non-WREB state as you are still practicing under a 'dental' license.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is you will need to re-take a different licensure exam if you move to a non-WREB state as you are still practicing under a 'dental' license.
Thanks, that's helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the state. Depends on 4 vs 6. Many of the continuing licensures are allowed after 5 years of active practice.

Reactions: 1 user
To add to the discussion some states will even let you count residency towards those 5 years. I think it may be possible to even practice under your medical license as well if the state you choose doesnt let you practice having only done WREB, although it would be pretty much impossible as you cant bill for dental procedures but theoretically it could be done.

Reactions: 1 users