areas of strength for anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am considering an anesthesiology residency once i graduate medical school. which classes in the basic sciences are especially important from an anesthesiolgy point of view?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read in Iserson "Getting into a residency" pharmacology and physiology are important.

For clinical rotations I have heard ICU/CC, surgery, radiology and bioethics(First Aid for the Match recommended this?). If anyone else out there knows please add a post.

This is kind of what I have heard it will be interesting to see what others think that have gone further in the process!

Take care,

Nichole Taylor MS3
AZCOM :cool:

For basic sciences, I think that pharmacology and physiology are the most important, definitely. Learn how to read EKGs as well or do it during clinics (I personally think you should do it during basic sciences though).

For clinics, anesthesia (duh!), critical care (preferably a closed unit), also maybe cardiology and pulmonary. Now radiology... I read that also, but I really cannot see where it will possibly be helpful in anesthesia, except in critical care...

I took a cardiovascular anesthesia rotation and learned just a ton of cardiopulmonary physiology, so I would highly recommend that as well.