Arggh!! Chemistry!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ya, so i have started studying for the DAT, and i have looked at the chemistry in the kaplan book... Its only been a year since i took Gchemistry and made a B in it, but damn! This just brings back memories on how much i HATE Gchemistry... for some reason alot of it just doesnt "click" for me... :scared: i know this is going to be my worse enemy when i take the DAT! Any study tips for chemistry folks?? Im assuming just practice practice practice at it

Members don't see this ad.

golfmontpoker said:
Ya, so i have started studying for the DAT, and i have looked at the chemistry in the kaplan book... Its only been a year since i took Gchemistry and made a B in it, but damn! This just brings back memories on how much i HATE Gchemistry... for some reason alot of it just doesnt "click" for me... :scared: i know this is going to be my worse enemy when i take the DAT! Any study tips for chemistry folks?? Im assuming just practice practice practice at it

try posting this in the DAT section of the forum.. you might get more replies.

to answer your question though, i didn't like chem as well.. i was a B student as for as gen chem, but i scored the highest in that section on the DAT....i think it's just because when you practice, the same types of problems come up over and over again.....just PRACTICE :)

I'm a natural at g-chem. I just love it. I makes me turn on. CENSORED STUFF GO HERE. this is all very well justified by a 25 in gc in DAT.
Practice is the key i suppose. But when i look back, i can't remember a single moment where i was doing all those stoichiometry problems for fun or for practice. Heck i barely did my homework in G-chem.
But yeah... keep on practicing. It'll definitely make you better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplans G-chem reading portion is a little extreme as are their practice problems, their full length tests on the other hand are pretty representative of the actual test. I teach for them and always have students complaining about how difficult the G-chem section is, I tell them as I will tell you, it’s to over prepare you. If you had a choice, over or under prepared, over is the way to go. I got one wrong on the G-chem section, and can’t really say that any of the Kaplan problems are easy. Just do them over and over until you get them down.

Are you taking the prep course? We teach a lot of speed tricks in the classes, and that’s a big plus on the DAT. I finished my sciences the first time through in just over 20 minutes, which gave me just under 70 minutes to go back and see which ones I messed up on. If you’re struggling to get done in time, that leaves you no time to go back and check your answers.

OPNYDR said:
Kaplans G-chem reading portion is a little extreme as are their practice problems, their full length tests on the other hand are pretty representative of the actual test. I teach for them and always have students complaining about how difficult the G-chem section is, I tell them as I will tell you, it’s to over prepare you. If you had a choice, over or under prepared, over is the way to go. I got one wrong on the G-chem section, and can’t really say that any of the Kaplan problems are easy. Just do them over and over until you get them down.

Are you taking the prep course? We teach a lot of speed tricks in the classes, and that’s a big plus on the DAT. I finished my sciences the first time through in just over 20 minutes, which gave me just under 70 minutes to go back and see which ones I messed up on. If you’re struggling to get done in time, that leaves you no time to go back and check your answers.
I would take the prep course if i had the money! 1.2k is to much for me! Impressive though on the 20 minutes, wow! I guess i will just have to do them over and over again... its going to suck, but you gotta do what you gotta do

golfmontpoker said:
I would take the prep course if i had the money! 1.2k is to much for me! Impressive though on the 20 minutes, wow! I guess i will just have to do them over and over again... its going to suck, but you gotta do what you gotta do

golfmontpoker, although it's nice to be able to use the classroom setting of the kaplan course to ask any questions, i kinda found it a waste of money...b/c most of my help and practice came from all the online workshops and practice material. And i'm pretty sure that they offer JUST an online course, that gives you access to all that, as well as the books and flash cards...for a much cheaper price. I realize it's still pretty expensive, but it was very worth it for me. So it would probably be to your benefit to find out about the online kaplan course. good luck :)

If you really want to take it, and money is an issue, ask the manager at the center in your area for a scholarship. They give out LOTS of these every year to people that are truly devoted to their future and are a little short on cash.

OPNYDR said:
If you really want to take it, and money is an issue, ask the manager at the center in your area for a scholarship. They give out LOTS of these every year to people that are truly devoted to their future and are a little short on cash.

that is really cool...i had no idea...

OPNYDR said:
hmmmm... interesting, How would i go about doing this?? I looked at the nearest course offered in my area is almost an hour-hour and a half drive... Dont know if i would like to do this twice a week. Think it would be possible to get a scholarship for the online courses???

Online class is not as good as the real thing, nothing replaces the personal interaction. The online course won't teach you the speed tricks either. Remember what rides on the outcome of this test, and then decide if the hour drive is worth it. I have a guy driving 5hrs each way to my class, he drives down for the tue class, stays with a friend tue and wed night, goes to the class on thur and then goes home. That’s what I call determination! And, there are several Kaplan centers on the way, though his friend took the class with me and got a 23 AA 23 SCI 21 PAT, so he wanted the same teacher. Not that those scores, or mine are off the charts, they are well above average.

OPNYDR said:
Online class is not as good as the real thing, nothing replaces the personal interaction. The online course won't teach you the speed tricks either. Remember what rides on the outcome of this test, and then decide if the hour drive is worth it. I have a guy driving 5hrs each way to my class, he drives down for the tue class, stays with a friend tue and wed night, goes to the class on thur and then goes home. That’s what I call determination! And, there are several Kaplan centers on the way, though his friend took the class with me and got a 23 AA 23 SCI 21 PAT, so he wanted the same teacher. Not that those scores, or mine are off the charts, they are well above average.

What teacher is this? Whats so great about him?

Where are you taking the course at? Im in so cal to and I might take the kaplan course.

OPNYDR said:
I would like to learn the speed tricks... that would be GREAT... I guess 4 hours a week for the drive isnt to bad if when I think about it. I wonder if the teacher in Greeneville NC or Knoxville TN is any good... Can you go a little more indepth though about getting a scholarship for it?

the classroom course is great if you have a good "teacher"....however i had a horrible teacher, and therefore it was not worth the money. students did more answering of other students questions then the teacher was able to. I'm not sure what tricks were taught that weren't online or in the book. But if you have the money and can do both...then go for it. Another cool thing about the online portion is that you can replay and rewind/ff the lectures as many times as you want if you can't make it to a class. Either way you look at it, you really have to be willing to put the time into it.

gsrthomas,

I'm the teacher, what's great about me? That’s a good question, DAT wise, I have yet to have a student score below 22, and you can get verified info from Kaplan (if they are allowed to release it). My personal scores, 99.9th percentile for science, 99.7th overall, that’s well above your average applicant.
I teach the tricks that I was taught at Kaplan as well as my own methods to get you through the test in less than half the time allotted. That gives you all the time in the world to go through the entire test a second time. This test is not difficult; the main difference between people’s scores is the amount of prep, who had plenty of time to go back.

As for the tuition assistance, your center manager deals with that. I don't get involved with that.

OPNYDR said:
gsrthomas,

I'm the teacher, what's great about me? That’s a good question, DAT wise, I have yet to have a student score below 22, and you can get verified info from Kaplan (if they are allowed to release it). My personal scores, 99.9th percentile for science, 99.7th overall, that’s well above your average applicant.
I teach the tricks that I was taught at Kaplan as well as my own methods to get you through the test in less than half the time allotted. That gives you all the time in the world to go through the entire test a second time. This test is not difficult; the main difference between people’s scores is the amount of prep, who had plenty of time to go back.

As for the tuition assistance, your center manager deals with that. I don't get involved with that.

So what if I want to take the course with you teaching it? How would I be able to find this out?

Are you still teaching it?

I start a class this Thur., its a Tue. Thur. class. You would just have to go to the center and sign up, or call them. I'm teaching this class at the Encino center, check them out on their website for directions. The next DAT class I teach is in June, thats too late if you want to get your app out early.

Hope to see you there

OPNYDR said:
I start a class this Thur., its a Tue. Thur. class. You would just have to go to the center and sign up, or call them. I'm teaching this class at the Encino center, check them out on their website for directions. The next DAT class I teach is in June, thats too late if you want to get your app out early.

Hope to see you there

Thanks for the info.

I want to get my application out early but I need at least 2 months to study for the DAT. My plan is studying for the dat this summer and taking the dat in august/sept.

I am going to school now and dont have the time to study for the dat.

I dont really want to wait next year to apply also to get my application out early.

I hope aug/sept isnt to late to take the dat.

I will be teaching the course in the summer, though that is when I took it when I was studying. I took the DAT Aug. 28 th, and then got everything together and applied, ITS TOO LATE. I've got a decent GPA (3.9 since I came back to school but overall is a killer), good DAT scores, and I'm playing the waiting game because I applied too late. I think its time to start getting the app ready for the next cycle, I'd hate to see others get in the same mess.

Not to mention that this is the exact same thing that happened to the guy that was teaching my class when I took it. But did I listen to him, NO, and look where it got me. Just my 2 cents

OPNYDR said:
I will be teaching the course in the summer, though that is when I took it when I was studying. I took the DAT Aug. 28 th, and then got everything together and applied, ITS TOO LATE. I've got a decent GPA (3.9 since I came back to school but overall is a killer), good DAT scores, and I'm playing the waiting game because I applied too late. I think its time to start getting the app ready for the next cycle, I'd hate to see others get in the same mess.

Not to mention that this is the exact same thing that happened to the guy that was teaching my class when I took it. But did I listen to him, NO, and look where it got me. Just my 2 cents

Listen to OPNYDR...he's RIGHT!

taking the DAT in august isnt late, just as long as you submitted your application in early july. thats what i did-applied in july and took the dat in late august. my DAT scores beat my application to the schools too! you can submit your app w/o the DAT scores, the schools look at the official DAT report, not what you report on AADSAS.

as for studying chem, get an AP chem review book (advanced placement-high school students taking the course for college credit). i took ap chem and chem in college, but i was having a hard time reviewing it as well. the AP review broke it down into much simpler terms and really highlighted the basics.