Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This wait is killing me. I've interviewed at a few schools but am STILL waiting to hear back and am losing patience.

My stats are in predents which is linked on the left. Here is the list of my interviews:

Midwestern - 11/24/09 - Rejected :mad:
Western - 1/9/10 - No decision yet
UNLV - 1/14/10 - No decision yet
Pittsburgh - 1/25/10 - No decision yet
Boston - 3/5/10 - Upcoming interview

My app was completely mailed end of August due to a lagging LOR.

I don't know what to do, I guess all I can do is wait and focus on the Boston interview thats coming up soon. But, should I start looking at back up options now in case I dont get in this cycle? I've been putting it off because the thought of reapplying scares me. I thought ehh with 5 interviews, I'm bound to get into 1 at least. What do you guys think of my chances with the current schools? I know I still havent even interviewed at Boston but I'm starting to lose hope day by day since some people who interviewed with me at Western and UNLV have already heard back and I haven't. I still have high hopes for Pitt but who knows. Am I just worrying too much? Do I still have a good chance for this cycle? Let me know what you guys think.

And I have no idea what I would do next year if I don't get in this cycle.. I guess it'd be a post-bac or a masters. Any advice on that would be great as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I FEEL YOU MAN!

All my interviews were pre-dec and I still haven't heard back yet at all. For the last 2 months i've been checking my email and phone like a maniac,hoping that I can finally get into just 1 school. I don't now how much longer I can do this!

Hope is slowly slippping away, I've already began thinking about the next cycle and how to improve my application and my interview skills. I'd be worried applying next cycle as I know the national average stats will only go up, but I think I'd an even more competitive applicant.

Oh well, I guess on the brightside, I am living in SD, so another year down here won't be too bad(i love it here). But I'd MUCH RATHER be going to Dental school.

This wait is killing me. I've interviewed at a few schools but am STILL waiting to hear back and am losing patience.

My stats are in predents which is linked on the left. Here is the list of my interviews:

Midwestern - 11/24/09 - Rejected :mad:
Western - 1/9/10 - No decision yet
UNLV - 1/14/10 - No decision yet
Pittsburgh - 1/25/10 - No decision yet
Boston - 3/5/10 - Upcoming interview

My app was completely mailed end of August due to a lagging LOR.

I don't know what to do, I guess all I can do is wait and focus on the Boston interview thats coming up soon. But, should I start looking at back up options now in case I dont get in this cycle? I've been putting it off because the thought of reapplying scares me. I thought ehh with 5 interviews, I'm bound to get into 1 at least. What do you guys think of my chances with the current schools? I know I still havent even interviewed at Boston but I'm starting to lose hope day by day since some people who interviewed with me at Western and UNLV have already heard back and I haven't. I still have high hopes for Pitt but who knows. Am I just worrying too much? Do I still have a good chance for this cycle? Let me know what you guys think.

And I have no idea what I would do next year if I don't get in this cycle.. I guess it'd be a post-bac or a masters. Any advice on that would be great as well.

Relax, man. I'm guessing this is your first time applying and you're a little over anxious. If you're stats are good enough and you interviewed well, then the school will accept you. I know you've been waiting for what seems like ages to hear back from these schools but we've all been down that road. I interviewed at Pitt on Jan 11th and I still haven't heard anything from them either so i know what you're going through. But keep in mind that this isn't like applying to an undergraduate school. There aren't over a thousand spots that need to be filled up by the fall. This is a hyper competitive profession to get into and with all the people applying, and interviewing, it takes time for the adcoms to look at the files and make appropriate decisions. So sit tight, keep your head up, and be patient. There are going to be a lot of times in your life where you're not going to have any more say in the matter and all you can do is just wait it out.

As for reapplying, that's never a thing to be scared of. Heaven forbid something bad happens and you don't get in this year, you'll have the knowledge what to do and what not to do for next year's cycle and it'll put you one step ahead of everyone. The important thing to do is to use that time wisely and do something either for yourself, like a vacation if you need it, or do something that will help boost your application. A master's program is always good. Schools that have Master's programs for Biomedical Sciences tend to be great to show D-schools how competitive and qualified you are since they usually offer the same courses being offered during the first year of professional school. So if I were you, I would look into that. These programs really help out.

So you have some options. If I were you, I would hope for the best but also learn from this experience. Life's going to be filled with situations like this where you're waiting on the edge of your seat so you should get some practice now with it. You'll her back from these schools soon. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
20 and 21 on DAT is really good.
You guys will get in. Just wait a little more:cool:

I'm with you, this waiting is horrible

Relax, man. I'm guessing this is your first time applying and you're a little over anxious. If you're stats are good enough and you interviewed well, then the school will accept you. I know you've been waiting for what seems like ages to hear back from these schools but we've all been down that road. I interviewed at Pitt on Jan 11th and I still haven't heard anything from them either so i know what you're going through. But keep in mind that this isn't like applying to an undergraduate school. There aren't over a thousand spots that need to be filled up by the fall. This is a hyper competitive profession to get into and with all the people applying, and interviewing, it takes time for the adcoms to look at the files and make appropriate decisions. So sit tight, keep your head up, and be patient. There are going to be a lot of times in your life where you're not going to have any more say in the matter and all you can do is just wait it out.

As for reapplying, that's never a thing to be scared of. Heaven forbid something bad happens and you don't get in this year, you'll have the knowledge what to do and what not to do for next year's cycle and it'll put you one step ahead of everyone. The important thing to do is to use that time wisely and do something either for yourself, like a vacation if you need it, or do something that will help boost your application. A master's program is always good. Schools that have Master's programs for Biomedical Sciences tend to be great to show D-schools how competitive and qualified you are since they usually offer the same courses being offered during the first year of professional school. So if I were you, I would look into that. These programs really help out.

So you have some options. If I were you, I would hope for the best but also learn from this experience. Life's going to be filled with situations like this where you're waiting on the edge of your seat so you should get some practice now with it. You'll her back from these schools soon. Good luck to you.

Great Advice! I know for awhile it seemed like the end of the world, and I thought I wouldn't apply again. But honestly this is just a bump in the road, life will be FILLED with worst disappointments. We need to sit tight,hope for the best. If we end up not getting in then, we got another year to improve our apps(and even maybe do some traveling/have some fun), and comeback stronger the next cycle.

Regardless don't feel too bad, I,as well as many others are in the same shoes as you.

1. Due to inclement weather, the PITT ADCOM was supposed to meet today or maybe tomorrow. Your package more then likely will be reviewed.

2. Western sent out their second round offers last week of Jan. The 9 Jan dates were in the group reviewed for second round offers. (I was also a 9 Jan interviewee at Western.) I am pretty sure they are sending out round three on 25 Feb.

3. I have no idea on the others where you interviewed.

4. You haven't been rejected by PITT or Western yet and that is god news.

5. You have an interview remaining at BU. Also good news.

I would focus on two things:
-Firstly, prep like CRAZY for your BU interview. Know as much about the school and program as you would going into a final for a test. Find alumni magazines to see what is going on at the school. Talk to counselors to get the lastest scoop. Research their stats and programs. Find out about their outreach. Nothing says interested candidates like, "I really fell in love with BU when I was reading in your alumni magazine about how former BU students have started X. It warms me to know if chosen to come here I would be following in the footsteps of such civic-minded individuals." etc, etc, etc...You get the idea. The more you prep and the more you talk about their programs (to your cat, your mom, yourself in the mirror, or on a walk, or in the car) the more relaxed and confident you will appear. Ask yourself common interview questions, and ANSWER IT DIFFERENTLY EVERY TIME!!!! I am serious on this one...people who practice the SAME answers every time sound canned and insecere. Also, focus on eye contact, positive body language and above all...SMILE!

-Secondly, find some faculty you interviewed with at schools where you still have a chance. Email them and emphasize WHY you want to go to their school HOW you would be a great fit for their program. None of this "my dream is to be a dentist nonsense..." Keep it factual and specific..."I want to go to Western because I want to be part of something new and groundbreaking. Every faculty member came here to start a school from the ground up and be innovators. I see myself as an innovator and I want to have the very best and modern equipment in my practice just like Western," Or talk to Rose at Pitt about how you feel in love with the camaraderie of the students during the student forum. How you felt you really saw yourself fitting in and am prepared to do whatever it takes to make it at Pitt!

There is no perfect formula for sucess. Stay on your schools where hope is still left. If it deosn't work out, at least you went down swinging.

Best of luck. I am cheering for you!:)

!

-Secondly, find some faculty you interviewed with at schools where you still have a chance. Email them and emphasize WHY you want to go to their school HOW you would be a great fit for their program. None of this "my dream is to be a dentist nonsense..." Keep it factual and specific..."I want to go to Western because I want to be part of something new and groundbreaking. Every faculty member came here to start a school from the ground up and be innovators. I see myself as an innovator and I want to have the very best and modern equipment in my practice just like Western," Or talk to Rose at Pitt about how you feel in love with the camaraderie of the students during the student forum. How you felt you really saw yourself fitting in and am prepared to do whatever it takes to make it at Pitt!

Do you usually include this with your thank you letters or like a status update...? I'm just curious cause it seems like a good way to keep your name relevant when waiting but I'm not sure what the "purpose" of the letter should be for the faculty.

Do you usually include this with your thank you letters or like a status update...? I'm just curious cause it seems like a good way to keep your name relevant when waiting but I'm not sure what the "purpose" of the letter should be for the faculty.

Yes, I include things like this in my thank you cards and thank you emails. I discuss relevant take-aways from my interview experience/tour/discussion which go beyond the research and public information. I also bring up tid-bits and reminders vis-a-vis updates and such. This definitely keeps you relevant. Sometimes a candidate can be lost in the shuffle, AND it demonstrates continued interest in their program.

The "purpose" is to show them you are interested and you WANT to be a part of their program. If your have no purpose other than to shoot the breeze and make sure the faculty didn't forget you, save it for the students. NEVER email/call faculty without clear-cut goals for the contact. If you want it badly enough, you will find ways to be relevant in your communications. Polite. Professional. Simple.

Subdoc and aabdoulin, thanks for you guys' advice.

Subdoc, I'll start working on something that shows my interest to these schools. I think I'll definitely send one to Western and UNLV and hold off on Pitt since they have not made decisions for my interview date yet.

Thanks for the support guys, it really does help!

Justwu, just hang in there buddy, hopefully we'll hear good news soon!