Argosy Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No comment..... It's also a violation of my program's current prac supervision rules and my state licensing rules for postdoc supervision.
Only 1 hour per week of group supervision? That's woefully insufficient, especially early in training.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. They are performing services independently. Obviously they are supervised, but only for an hour per week in group supervision (speaking only about the aforementioned situation).
Is there a mechanism for billing Medicaid for non-licensed practicum students who are providing independent clinical services in a CMHC? Do these students already have a mid-level license? ( there may very well be- I don’t know). If they do and are billing under that with only an hour per week group supervision that’s a pretty questionable doctoral level training experience. At my agency, we are in the room and directly monitoring all direct clinical activities (test administration) of the practicum students.

I have wondered that myself. I know in my state you can bill Medicaid and Medicare if you have a master's degree (without being licensed) but that same CMHC site takes first year therapy prac students who don't have a master's degree.

I also know some states allow interns to bill Medicaid.

Is there a mechanism for billing Medicaid for non-licensed practicum students who are providing independent clinical services in a CMHC? Do these students already have a mid-level license? ( there may very well be- I don’t know). If they do and are billing under that with only an hour per week group supervision that’s a pretty questionable doctoral level training experience. At my agency, we are in the room and directly monitoring all direct clinical activities (test administration) of the practicum students.

Members don't see this ad :)
My state I believe allows to bill under Medicaid for students in a masters program or higher but the CMHC I work at provides individual and group supervision to interns. Not sure if the reimbursement rate is lower than a provider holding at least a masters degree ( we do not have any doctoral psychologists at my agency, but I know of other agencies that do).

That sucks for the clients, agencies and students. But if you are not enrolled in a training program then you should not be allowed to see clients. This is one of the reasons I asked earlier if any programs have closed mid semester like Argosy has. That’s some ****ty timing for everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been asking around and keep hearing bad stuff.
  • Apparently, students still haven't received their funds. No one knows where the money is and no sign of getting the money.
  • Mass exodus of faculty
  • Concerns that teach-outs will not be possible
  • Serious stress for students, food drives being put together
I remember when the Forest Institute in Springfield, MO closed down. There was no word of any such problems.

It look like the bad stuff you have been hearing has come to fruition - Argosy is closing because the federal money was finally (and belatedly) cut off. If anyone is relying on the APA or state licensing boards to police scams like Argosy to keep them from getting started in the first place, this situation is the evidence that they won't, at least not in a timely fashion. Argosy, like many online "schools", was an embarrassment from the start, and never should have been accredited as it was for the most part nothing but a scam in which the people who owned the school got rich while those who attended the school got worthless degrees and mountains of debt. Surely there is something illegal about all of this ? Psychology is a discipline that does NOT lend itself to "online learning" (not referring to Argosy but to many other "schools) any more than medicine does. It should not be permitted for a myriad of reasons.

Reactions: 3 users
It look like the bad stuff you have been hearing has come to fruition - Argosy is closing because the federal money was finally (and belatedly) cut off. If anyone is relying on the APA or state licensing boards to police scams like Argosy to keep them from getting started in the first place, this situation is the evidence that they won't, at least not in a timely fashion. Argosy, like many online "schools", was an embarrassment from the start, and never should have been accredited as it was for the most part nothing but a scam in which the people who owned the school got rich while those who attended the school got worthless degrees and mountains of debt. Surely there is something illegal about all of this ? Psychology is a discipline that does NOT lend itself to "online learning" (not referring to Argosy but to many other "schools) any more than medicine does. It should not be permitted for a myriad of reasons.

Which Argosy campus was training clinical psychologists via online learning? You won't catch me defending Argosy, even as a former student, but if you're going to rant about the place at least get your facts straight. The clinical psych programs at Argosy were not online, as they were all APA accredited (I know but they were) and the APA does not accredit online programs. Argosy's online stuff was entirely separate and none of it was licensure eligible.

Which Argosy campus was training clinical psychologists via online learning? You won't catch me defending Argosy, even as a former student, but if you're going to rant about the place at least get your facts straight. The clinical psych programs at Argosy were not online, as they were all APA accredited (I know but they were) and the APA does not accredit online programs. Argosy's online stuff was entirely separate and none of it was licensure eligible.

I was about to ask this. Thanks for clarifying.

From the perspective of the affected students, I'm glad that they can walk away from training at this point and have their prior federal student loan balances (for Argosy, at least) canceled. It would be terrible for those students to be left with no degree AND have to pay off those federal student loans. I think it's been clear for a long time that Argosy was not a sound choice, but I have no desire to see those students punished for that choice on such a staggering financial scale.

And/but: from a broader government/systems perspective, I think it's appalling that the federal government has now effectively subsidized the existence of a massive for-profit institution for the past several years. That enormous infusion of federal dollars is now a total loss, with nothing to show for it. Students won't be repaying those dollars (and again, I don't begrudge them that) and have wasted several years of their lives. Faculty members and staff will have to figure out how to grapple with the career setback. And that enormous loss of federal money took place during a time when federal grant funding has been harder and harder to come by, tenured slots at public and actual nonprofit institutions have become increasingly scarce, and federal research dollars have dried up.

Almost everybody loses - the students, the faculty, the taxpayer - but the institution itself will just shutter like it never existed. The only people who come out ahead are the ones who profited from Argosy's (government-subsidized) existence while it was still making money.

Reactions: 2 users
that the federal government has now effectively subsidized the existence of a massive for-profit institution for the past several years.
To be fair, the federally subsidized student loans subsidize the vast majority of universities. We just feel better when we subsidize less predatory institutions that provide higher quality education.

To be fair, the federally subsidized student loans subsidize the vast majority of universities. We just feel better when we subsidize less predatory institutions that provide higher quality education.

Agreed, but in most cases of non-predatory universities, there's generally some return on that investment. I don't think it's an apt comparison to this case.

Federal student loans are difficult to discharge and so there's a general expectation that students will eventually pay back their loans. The students who graduate from those programs can use those degrees to become mental health professionals who provide services to people who need them. Or they go on to do research that might benefit others and/or advance the field. Not all students finish their programs, and not all students go on to use their degrees. But there is at least a good possibility that most of that money will benefit the public in some way.

With Argosy, there is zero possibility of any return on that massive investment of federal dollars over the past several years. Those loans will be canceled and students (understandably) will not need to repay them. Those dollars did not produce mental health professionals or researchers. It's a complete financial loss than cannot be recouped, and that did not benefit the public. If anything, federal dollars subsidized a for-profit institution and harmed most of the individuals involved, in the form of lost years.

Agreed, but in most cases of non-predatory universities, there's generally some return on that investment. I don't think it's an apt comparison to this case.

Federal student loans are difficult to discharge and so there's a general expectation that students will eventually pay back their loans. The students who graduate from those programs can use those degrees to become mental health professionals who provide services to people who need them. Or they go on to do research that might benefit others and/or advance the field. Not all students finish their programs, and not all students go on to use their degrees. But there is at least a good possibility that most of that money will benefit the public in some way.

With Argosy, there is zero possibility of any return on that massive investment of federal dollars over the past several years. Those loans will be canceled and students (understandably) will not need to repay them. Those dollars did not produce mental health professionals or researchers. It's a complete financial loss than cannot be recouped, and that did not benefit the public. If anything, federal dollars subsidized a for-profit institution and harmed most of the individuals involved, in the form of lost years.
There's also a huge difference in motivation.

Yes, even students in funded programs take out loans at times, but their programs go out of their ways to avoid this. It's not their goal to financially profit off of students. This is why they take so few students, they don't want to admit more students than they can financially support or effectively mentor.

Institutions like Argosy, whether they are nominally for-profit or non-profit, want to admit and pass through as many students as possible. They want to maximize the money coming in through tuition and fees, so they admit absurd numbers of students, including those who have no business being psychologists. They would not be able to do this without federal aid and student loan programs. They are leeches on the system and the public, but I don't know what the answer is to this problem without potentially causing other problems.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did a practicum at a CMHC and they billed the heck out of our sessions. We were allowed to see clients asap w/o much hand-holding. We were also requried to run groups in pairs so they could double bill (since there were two providers). We had 1.5 hours of GROUP sup every week. My school tried to make up for it by assigning us someone for individual supervision but that was kinda weird since that person had nothing to do with the site. We also had a supervision class that meets for 2.5 hours every week to allow people to discuss their cases & conceptualize. But yea practicum is scary if u have no idea what you’re doing. We had to audio-record our sessions and bring them to class, and there were quite a few students that had no idea what they were doing.

I'll also add that I've seen CMHC services 'billed' under block grants awarded by the state in which hours of clinical intervention are reported to demonstrate that the state identified MH need is being met to justify the award, but service quality not audited in the same way as it may be through insurance. The end result is similar in that the agency receives monetary award associated with provided hours of services. There are some differences in terms of the hourly v block billing, but I'm not sure that either model produces a drive towards better training/supervision unless it is an intrinsic value/component of the site.

I did a practicum at a CMHC and they billed the heck out of our sessions. We were allowed to see clients asap w/o much hand-holding. We were also requried to run groups in pairs so they could double bill (since there were two providers). We had 1.5 hours of GROUP sup every week.
And we wonder why rates for our services, and thus salaries for psychologists doing primarily outpatient Tx, can be so low. We think so much of our work that we would allow people less than half way through their training to basically do our jobs independently (go ahead and argue that someone with a handful or more of clients who is getting 90 minutes group supervision per week isn't, for all intents and purposes, working as and independent clinician).

What happens if a potential client refuses to sign the "consent for treatment by a practica student" form? Are they put on an interminable waitlist?

I am really horrified by the idea that prac students are practicing with such a tiny amount of oversight.

I did a practicum at a CMHC and they billed the heck out of our sessions. We were allowed to see clients asap w/o much hand-holding. We were also requried to run groups in pairs so they could double bill (since there were two providers). We had 1.5 hours of GROUP sup every week. My school tried to make up for it by assigning us someone for individual supervision but that was kinda weird since that person had nothing to do with the site. We also had a supervision class that meets for 2.5 hours every week to allow people to discuss their cases & conceptualize. But yea practicum is scary if u have no idea what you’re doing. We had to audio-record our sessions and bring them to class, and there were quite a few students that had no idea what they were doing.
Didn't the APA determine that audio recordings were insufficient and direct supervision needed to be video, in the room, or glass or one-way mirror?

Didn't the APA determine that audio recordings were insufficient and direct supervision needed to be video, in the room, or glass or one-way mirror?

Yes but it doesn’t have to be every session. Just at a minimum once per evaluation period which is good enough in my opinion.

I've heard very similar things about CMHCs that aren't also university training clinics (the one I trained in was both, so we got a lot of supervision).

Oh man, this piece has greatly expanded my cringing horizons. Ex-Argosy students are screwed.

[cringable quote block follows]

Psychology educators across the nation lamented the loss of Argosy's program after learning the university would close.

“Argosy had large clinical training programs and [had] interns all over the country engaging in [American Psychological Association]-accredited internships,” Lisa Adams Somerlot, director of counseling and accountability at the University of West Georgia and a past president of the American College Counseling Association, said in an email. “This definitely affects college counseling centers.”

Those centers will have to consider how to continue an internship for a student who isn't enrolled in a clinical training program, or they'll have to end the internship, Adams Somerlot said.

“When we heard about Argosy’s challenges, our first concern was for their students,” [Chicago School] president Michele Nealon said. “The world of doctoral-level clinical psychology programs is quite small, so we’ve been very connected for a long time in the clinical psychology community. We’ve known the Argosy programs as being good colleagues and having good faculty and administrators over the years....We are part of the solution but not the whole solution....I’m really optimistic that other colleges and universities will step up to support the thousands of students that have been impacted.”

Graduate and professional students at now-closed Argosy University campuses struggle to find new education options

The number of students in the PsyD track at the 10 Argosy Campus must approach 3000 or more students. The programs offering to let Argosy Students transfer in are actually similar to Argosy with similar predatory tactics in their marketing strategies and many have similar advertisements in the APA monitor. When Forest Institute and the prior Argosy campuses had their teach out often standards were overlooked allowing for students to finish and many had trouble finding acceptable predoctoral and postdoctoral training. Some just took the terminal MS degree and moved to states with MS level Psychologist licensure or applied for LPC licensure. .

There just seems to be limited solutions for these students. Many of the Forest students finished up at Regents University or the Wright Institute and the numbers were more likely 100 to 200 students rather than 2000 to 3000 students. Should ASPPB and APA implement standards requiring cohorts in the 10-20 or lower student range for APA accredited doctoral level psychology program? The for profit model used by these programs makes it easy to exploit and manipulate the whole system of psychology training. Does there need to be some regulations in place where all doctoral level psychology training is only provided where students are fully funded similar to having scholarships so the Student Loan system is not the major funder, but only used as a last resort for extended funding for housing and extras. I have heard of students getting a 50,000 student loan for a year and buying a brand new BMW rather than using it for their education.

Having Argosy University on your transcript already was stigmatizing, but now with the bankruptcy and closing and transferring for many of these students it will basically be an albatross on your whole career. There almost needs to be a plan developed where these students could transfer to APA accredited programs where 2-5 students could be placed in each of the APA accredited programs and some of their basic foundation courses transferred with each students clinical psychology curriculum evaluated and some courses may need to be repeated or supervised practicum repeated where they would get a degree from the other APA accredited program rather than have their first two-years of credits from Argosy than piecemeal the rest of the credits from the accepting institution. I have know of students who have to take a terminal master's due to failure on their PhD comps and then transfer to a lesser institution to complete their doctoral degree. Their program did not close, but it is often asked why for example they did not continue at the higher valued institution to finish up at a less reputable institution.

I think APA needs to reconsider the for profit PsyD or PhD programs and make regulations to restrict this event from ever happening again. There seems to be some information that other PsyD for profit programs could soon have similar restrictions on their Federal Loan allowances making it more difficult to recruit large cohorts of marginally qualified students in the future with more expected closing of programs.

It seems that for physicians trained in Foreign Med School a similar transcript review of their curriculum and training is implemented. Although they have MD degrees from India, China, or Syria ect... they typically have to go through additional training to become licensed in the US and they actually in some cases get an MD degree at an American University via a combination of courses, residencies, and fellowships.

Last edited:
Should ASPPB and APA implement standards requiring cohorts in the 10-20 or lower student range for APA accredited doctoral level psychology program?
My gut/emotional instinct/bias is to say "yes." Having gone through a small cohort training model (my mentor had ~4 students in her lab each year I was there), I can't imagine how students would get even close to the same level of training in non-mentor model programs with dozens of students in each cohort. On the other hand, because I was well trained in a small-cohort, scientist-practitioner model program, I would say that APA should base any decisions regarding mandated cohort maximums on empirical data pertaining to training outcomes (I don't know what that data says- or even if it exists).

The for profit model used by these programs makes it easy to exploit and manipulate the whole system of psychology training.
Argosy wasn't involved with just psychology training- they equally exploited customers in other disciplines. That why I think this is bigger than APA. As you hint at later in your post, there are overriding issues with overall student loan eligibility, availability, and use that make such exploitation possible.

Does there need to be some regulations in place where all doctoral level psychology training is only provided where students are fully funded similar to having scholarships so the Student Loan system is not the major funder, but only used as a last resort for extended funding for housing and extras.
IMHO, only if such a model is able to meet the demand for well trained psychologists. If not, some hybrid model may be necessary. With the current model and a relatively large amount of doctoral program in the region (Southern New England/New York), we cannot find appropriately trained psychologist. It's a relatively easy job (but you need to know what you're doing and can't take short cuts), with good pay and benefits. It just seems that there are not enough psychologists appropriately/adequately trained.

I have heard of students getting a 50,000 student loan for a year and buying a brand new BMW rather than using it for their education.
Issues of morality/appropriateness aside, they will end up paying 80-90K for that car, assuming 20 year repayment at ~6%. They may thing they are pulling one over on the system, but they will be obligated to $300-$400 worth of loan payments for probably 10 year after they have gotten rid of that car. If there is one lesson that has been learned- for good and for bad- over the past decades it's that the actuarial tables don't lie- if the grid says you can't afford the loan, then taking it out (or giving it to you) will end poorly for both the borrower and the lender (or at least the end holder of the note).

There almost needs to be a plan developed where these students could transfer to APA accredited programs where 2-5 students could be placed in each of the APA accredited programs...
I don't know how to say this without coming across as "snobby," but this suggestion ignores the fact that many (most?) of these students are just not capable of meeting the academic demands of low-cohort APA accredited programs. I have read writing samples from upper level students at the "local" FSPS. Had these been submitted for even the first assignment in my grad-program, there would have been a meeting called amongst the faculty to determine the best course of action for dealing with a student who was clearly not prepared for that type of training. I am not saying that this is the way it should be, just the way it is. I think that many of these Argosy customers (not all) received pretty clear feedback (in the form of lack of not just acceptance to, but even consideration for, more intensive programs) that they were not prepared for doctoral level training in psychology. Many ignored that and, rather than making themselves more prepare, opted for a program with not admission standards other than loan qualification.

I think APA needs to reconsider the for profit PsyD or PhD programs and make regulations to restrict this event from ever happening again.

I just don't think that APA should be responsible for evaluating or judging financial matters. I feel that if they really focused on evaluating clinical training and outcomes in the context of more than the minimum criteria for effective outcomes, then the problems with the Argosy's would be taken care of without the need to add accountants and MBAs to the accreditation team.

There seems to be some information that other PsyD for profit programs could soon have similar restrictions on their Federal Loan allowances making it more difficult to recruit large cohorts of marginally qualified students in the future with more expected closing of programs.

This is where, IMHO, the change needs to occur.

I don't know how to say this without coming across as "snobby," but this suggestion ignores the fact that many (most?) of these students are just not capable of meeting the academic demands of low-cohort APA accredited programs. I have read writing samples from upper level students at the "local" FSPS. Had these been submitted for even the first assignment in my grad-program, there would have been a meeting called amongst the faculty to determine the best course of action for dealing with a student who was clearly not prepared for that type of training.

I agree wholeheartedly. My program is committed to fully funding all of its graduate students, and had a very low acceptance rate in part because they only take the students who are a good fit for each mentor and for the program as a whole. The reason that programs do a thorough application and interview process, which is incredibly draining and time-consuming, every year is to ensure that they select students who are likely to be successful in their particular program. Periodically they've hired a new faculty member who brought their existing grad students with them, but those grad students had already undergone an equally rigorous selection process for admission to their initial program. From the program's standpoint, it makes zero sense to allow Argosy students to circumvent the selection process that's required for every other student.

I really do have a lot of compassion for the students affected by the Argosy closing. And I don't think that other APA-accredited programs should be required to, for lack of a better term, clean up the mess that Argosy made.

All the schools willing to take Argosy students

And this school:

“Any Argosy student who transfers their credits to Liberty will receive their first course — online — free of charge,” it continued. “After the first free course, Argosy students who are enrolled part time in at least 6 credit hours over the summer term will not only have their $199 technical fee waived, they can also take advantage of lower full-time tuition rates. Argosy students may transfer in up to 75% of an undergraduate degree and a maximum of two-thirds of an approved graduate or doctoral degree.”

“Any Argosy student who transfers their credits to Liberty will receive their first course — online — free of charge,” it continued. “After the first free course, Argosy students who are enrolled part time in at least 6 credit hours over the summer term will not only have their $199 technical fee waived, they can also take advantage of lower full-time tuition rates. Argosy students may transfer in up to 75% of an undergraduate degree and a maximum of two-thirds of an approved graduate or doctoral degree.”

I totally called this earlier. Good to see Jerry Falwell taking advantage of innocent people. You know the problem has hit peak desperation when the evangelicals come knocking.

Last edited:
I thought Robertson was of Regent University. Liberty U is Fallwell - oh, I see this is edited now :)

I thought Robertson was of Regent University. Liberty U is Fallwell - oh, I see this is edited now :)

Yeah, I mix up my Virginia Evangelical con-artists at times. So hard to keep track.

Haha it took me way too long to include the correct links. I shouldn't post from my phone, but I do anyway. Then, I just edit the post about 5 times. Not the most effective strategy. But hey, if you need help editing your dissertation....

I know its been a while but I was wondering if anyone had more info about what happened. Here is what I have learned:

1. The Chicago School hired most of the faculty at the LA and DC campuses. Most of those students transferred and are doing fine but needed to pay more money to take some additional classes.
2. Many students near completion moved across the country to either Chicago campus.
3. Chaminade University is completing a teach out of the Argosy Hawaii campus. Not sure about the details.
4. Some students quit, wish I knew how many. I think it is estimated that there were nearly 1000 clinical PsyD students in all the Argosy campuses. It does not seem that all of those students were able to continue at Chaminade or Chicago.

I know its been a while but I was wondering if anyone had more info about what happened. Here is what I have learned:

1. The Chicago School hired most of the faculty at the LA and DC campuses. Most of those students transferred and are doing fine but needed to pay more money to take some additional classes.
2. Many students near completion moved across the country to either Chicago campus.
3. Chaminade University is completing a teach out of the Argosy Hawaii campus. Not sure about the details.
4. Some students quit, wish I knew how many. I think it is estimated that there were nearly 1000 clinical PsyD students in all the Argosy campuses. It does not seem that all of those students were able to continue at Chaminade or Chicago.
1000 students (gulp).

I think we had like 6-7 people in my grad school cohort (in the same class coming through) and like 20-something in the entire psychology grad program (which I think even included the experimental psych students...or maybe we had thirty-something clinical+experimental) at one time at a major university.

Thanks for the update. CSPP is clearly looking to become Argosy 2.0.

Argosy In Minnesota moved to Augsburg University in Minneapolis.

While googling for Psy.D programs that give 3 year advanced standing status to people with non-clinical master degree (which I didn’t find any, so that’s another story for another day), I came across this website:
Minnesota OHE Argosy updates

While googling for Psy.D programs that give 3 year advanced standing status to people with non-clinical master degree (which I didn’t find any, so that’s another story for another day), I came across this website:
Minnesota OHE Argosy updates
Some highlights from the report:
On June 27, 2019, Augsburg University announced its plans to introduce a Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (PsyD). This program hired many of the Argosy University-Twin Cities faculty and began teaching out 22, first and second year Argosy University-Twin Cities PsyD students.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota enrolled three students in their a Doctorate in Psychology program,
That is a rather small number of students. I assume the program had more than 25 total PsyD students.