Army Baylor PT Student Life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilMissHazard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college sophomore (female) looking at the Army-Baylor D.P.T. program for grad school. I wanted to know what every day life is like while in the program.

How much time do you spend on PT (physical training)?
What kind of physical condition are you in?
What's your overall daily schedule like?
How many hours a week do you spend studying?
How many hours a week are you "in class"?

I want to know anything and everything about the program!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the program right now so I'll try and answer your questions...

1) I spend practically no time in official "Army PT". You are expected to train on your own and you have to pass the APFT biannually. Occasionally, we do brigade "fun runs"... last one we had was 4,000 Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Marines/Coasties assigned to the brigade running a 5k at 0-dark-hundred. It was actually pretty fun.

2) I'm in pretty good shape... I make it a point to work out (and I enjoy it). However, there are certainly weeks that go by where my workouts suffer due to the volume of studying / homework.

3) Daily Schedule: It really does vary, but in a "typical" day classes start at 0800 and end around 1700 with an hour break for lunch. We have an exam almost every Friday, so they give us Thursday afternoon off to study. There are blocks of time allocated for research projects and studying within the duty day, but those times are highly variable.

4) I usually spend 2-3 hours a night during the weekday and about 5 hours a day on the weekend (give or take). I make a point to take a break from studying on Fridays since I am exhausted by the weeks end and need to recharge.

5) I believe the 35hrs/week referenced in an earlier post is pretty accurate... depending on how much research/studying time is scheduled into the day. Occasionally you'll have meetings with the faculty, etc. before or after but not on a consistent basis.

Hope this was helpful!
- bearDPT

maxblink,

I am really glad I'm in the Army-Baylor program... for a multitude of reasons. My classmates are awesome and there is most certainly a camaraderie amongst us. There is no competition because no matter where you finish in the class, we all:
a) have a job waiting for us
b) want to make sure we are prepared to treat our military members with the best care possible.
Teamwork is a vital part of the program... and that extends to the faculty, too.

Basic training was not intense... it is very different for the medical corps folks than, say, the infantry folks.

By stipend, do you mean salary? I'm in a different situation since I'm prior service and came in at a higher pay grade. I believe my classmates who are non-prior appreciate having a salary... and have no problems financially making ends meet. Plus, by time they graduate the program, they will see multiple pay raises (from promotions and time in service).

I absolutely do not regret choosing this program. I feel blessed...
Regards,
bearDPT