Army Behavioral Health Locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was accepted to the HPSP for the Army this fiscal year and was wondering if anyone has an idea about duty stations after licensure? I'm aware of the five internship sites, and sites for post-doc/fellowships, but can't seem to find information on where folks go next in the behavioral health care field. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I was accepted to the HPSP for the Army this fiscal year and was wondering if anyone has an idea about duty stations after licensure? I'm aware of the five internship sites, and sites for post-doc/fellowships, but can't seem to find information on where folks go next in the behavioral health care field. Any input is appreciated!

You go wherever they tell you to after completing internship and postdoc at one of the five Army sites (well, Walter Reed dropped out this year so there's actually only 4 sites this year). Duty stations can be anywhere in the world, including warzones like Iraq. Although you'll be on base only and not in the battlefield. You've probably been told you can request to be placed in clinical settings in the US but reality is they have the right to place you anywhere and you can't say no.

You go wherever they tell you to after completing internship and postdoc at one of the five Army sites (well, Walter Reed dropped out this year so there's actually only 4 sites this year). Duty stations can be anywhere in the world, including warzones like Iraq. Although you'll be on base only and not in the battlefield. You've probably been told you can request to be placed in clinical settings in the US but reality is they have the right to place you anywhere and you can't say no.

Thanks. I am aware that I will be placed wherever the mission sees fit; I would not have accepted my commission if I wasn't aware of the near certainty of deployment and uncertainty of duty location. However, I was interested if anyone had a listing of Army Post locations which are big enough to accommodate behavioral health that you may PCS to after you are licensed.

Also, Walter Reed did not drop off. The site was relocated to Womack Army Medical Center at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I am aware that I will be placed wherever the mission sees fit; I would not have accepted my commission if I wasn't aware of the near certainty of deployment and uncertainty of duty location. However, I was interested if anyone had a listing of Army Post locations which are big enough to accommodate behavioral health that you may PCS to after you are licensed.

Also, Walter Reed did not drop off. The site was relocated to Womack Army Medical Center at Fort Bragg, N.C.

This is what my recruiter said:

"The link bellow list all of the Army's locations, Once you have been accepted and are about to complete your internship your branch manager will be able to tell you exactly what installations have open positions available for psychologist, then you will be able to choose a location from what is available at the time." So I guess it's safe to assume that any one of these sites could have room for a psychologist if need be.

http://www.goarmy.com/about/post-locations.html

Also, neither Walter Reed nor Womack is offering internship for the 2016-2017 (to which I am applying) on the APPIC site. And if Womack is, then they havent updated it on APPIC yet.

Last edited:
This is what my recruiter said:

"The link bellow list all of the Army's locations, Once you have been accepted and are about to complete your internship your branch manager will be able to tell you exactly what installations have open positions available for psychologist, then you will be able to choose a location from what is available at the time." So I guess it's safe to assume that any one of these sites could have room for a psychologist if need be.

http://www.goarmy.com/about/post-locations.html

Also, neither Walter Reed nor Womack is offering internship for the 2016-2017 (to which I am applying) on the APPIC site. And if Womack is, then they havent updated it on APPIC yet.

The CPIP at relocation at Womack is new as of last application cycle. I'm almost positive that they will be selecting interns for the 17-18 cycle as well.

Here is the link to their brochure: http://www.wamc.amedd.army.mil/EducationAndResearch/SitePages/Army Clinical Psychology Internship Program.aspx

Last edited: