Army Docs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsolana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I haven't heard too much from the Army Docs. I'm going to do the HSPS thing and wanted to know the opinions of the Army people. I've been in the Army for almost 7 years, so I know what to expect for the training, but everyone keeps saying not to take the scholarship, bc you don't get to choose your residency and a few other gripes...

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Im a 4th yr HPSP student and I got to choose my specialty (GS) without any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strictly speaking, the DoD cannot make you practice a specialty you don't want to.

The question is not so much of what but of when. You get to do your specialty 1) immediately out of med school, 2) after reapplying as an intern, 3) after doing at least one GMO tour, or 4) after serving your ADO and going the civilian route.

The Army has the greatest likelihood of pleasing the greatest percentage of its students, based on size and number of applicants, but there are no guarantees.

Many people are unwilling to delay their GME, effectively "forcing" them to choose a (less competitive) specialty that may not necessarily be their first choice.

cavaor...where are you going? I'm headed to beaumont for GS.:cool:

I got my chosen specialty no problem, but I woke up this morning and pissed excellence. In my limited time on active duty I think that what everyone complains about in the AF and Navy applies just as well to the Army.

Hey everyone... I haven't heard too much from the Army Docs. I'm going to do the HSPS thing and wanted to know the opinions of the Army people. I've been in the Army for almost 7 years, so I know what to expect for the training, but everyone keeps saying not to take the scholarship, bc you don't get to choose your residency and a few other gripes...

Any opinions?

I can only attest to what I have actually seen, but of the 24 HPSP students in our 4th year class here at VCOM, only 2 (or 3?) didn't get their first choice spot for either residency or internship (for those Navy or AF folks headed to GMO land). The other two still ended up matching into their chosen specialty, I believe.

I can only attest to what I have actually seen, but of the 24 HPSP students in our 4th year class here at VCOM, only 2 (or 3?) didn't get their first choice spot for either residency or internship (for those Navy or AF folks headed to GMO land). The other two still ended up matching into their chosen specialty, I believe.

that's good news... I actually just found out this morning that I got accepted to VCOM, so I'll most likely be going there.

Thanks for the info. I feel a little more confident about taking the scholarship...

that's good news... I actually just found out this morning that I got accepted to VCOM, so I'll most likely be going there.

Thanks for the info. I feel a little more confident about taking the scholarship...
Why? Military residency match isn't attributed to the med school you attended.

Why what? Why VCOM? Why military?

I want to go to VCOM- nothing to do with military.

Why military? b/c I've been in for a while and they've been nothing but good to me.

Why what? Why VCOM? Why military?

I want to go to VCOM- nothing to do with military.

Why military? b/c I've been in for a while and they've been nothing but good to me.

Uh, have you read the rest of this forum? Being good to you as a soldier and being good to you as a military doctor appear to be mutually exclusive...

Yes, I have read most of this forum. I've been a soldier and an officer- seen a lot of it.

I've been hearing good and bad, but haven't heard too much from the ARMY docs. Most of the people who are complaining are the AF/Navy Docs.

Yes, I have read most of this forum. I've been a soldier and an officer- seen a lot of it.

I've been hearing good and bad, but haven't heard too much from the ARMY docs. Most of the people who are complaining are the AF/Navy Docs.

Just keep in mind that medicine is a very long training process. B/c of this, losing control over that process can be very stressful. Also, losing control over where you live might be much bigger deal when you're 10 years older. Although, since you have 7 years in, that will make the hpsp scholarship more attractive.

I am doing my specialty of choice in my program of choice. I feel that my education in pediatrics is better than that given to the residents in a "top 10" program down the street. I love my program. That being said, I was not selected for fellowship, despite being a very strong applicant. This will likely delay my obtaining my desired sub-specialty for several years. Further, they recently told us that the Army will start stop-lossing physicians through their next deployment cycle. What this mean is that if I'm profis'd to a unit that is deploying in six months, I have to stay in until that deployment is complete. This could result in my service being increased by up to two years. Factor in missing an application cycle for fellowship and I could end up delaying fellowship for 6 years.

In any event, I'm not crying. I signed up. The army has its priorities and that's fine. I just think everyone should know what they are getting into prior to applying.

Ed

I am doing my specialty of choice in my program of choice. I feel that my education in pediatrics is better than that given to the residents in a "top 10" program down the street. I love my program. That being said, I was not selected for fellowship, despite being a very strong applicant. This will likely delay my obtaining my desired sub-specialty for several years. Further, they recently told us that the Army will start stop-lossing physicians through their next deployment cycle. What this mean is that if I'm profis'd to a unit that is deploying in six months, I have to stay in until that deployment is complete. This could result in my service being increased by up to two years. Factor in missing an application cycle for fellowship and I could end up delaying fellowship for 6 years.

In any event, I'm not crying. I signed up. The army has its priorities and that's fine. I just think everyone should know what they are getting into prior to applying.

Ed

Great to hear.

I not only piss excellence but my stools stand up and salute me when I'm done laying them.:luck:

Nice- I haven't heard that one yet... I'm going to use that in the future:laugh:

It is important to realize that many of those people realized during their ADTS that they would not be able to get a deferral in their field and service and so their first choice represents their first MILITARY choice. Had they truly had the option to apply anywhere, their first choice would not likely have been a military program, certainly not for all of them.

[Snip]

Keep in mind also that a number of those VCOM students are headed to GMO land. Surely you don't believe that was their first choice of residency/internship?

Yeah, I realize that. I doubt anyone is delusional enough to think that they can get a deferral at this point in time, so are just ranking military programs in their top choices.

As for GMO land, all the Navy and AF 4th years that I spoke to knew the practice of near-mandatory GMO/FS tours by that point, and had resigned themselves to their fate, but were at least glad that they got their internship of choice (that's pretty much what I intended to say with my previous remark about internships for those GMO-bound). Sorry if I made it sound like everyone was jumping for joy over their medical futures. I meant for it to more come out as, "Everyone got the specialty and military program that they wanted, except for those where it was impossible (due to the doctrine of their service), anyway."

I would be curious, since you have so many HPSP MSIVs at your school, as to what percentage of them actually got what they REALLY wanted (specialty and residency program)? If it were 50% I'd be impressed. I suspect it would be closer to 1/4-1/3.

Are you counting wanting, but not getting a civilian deferral? Because if so, I'd be surprised with 50%, too. Everyone I talked to said they got the program and specialty that they asked for; and admin's statement (and the statement from the other MSIVs I asked) was that only 2 or 3 of the 24 didn't get their first choice. Whether that was their true, deep down in their hearts, first choice, and not just their "well, I probably can't get X, so I'll just put down Y" first choice, I don't know. I guess they could have been trying to deceive me (and themselves) that they got what they wanted. As I said, I can only report what I see/am told.

With 7 years of service as an officer - I think HPSP is a no brainer.

The obligation is no likely not more than 4-5 years depending on your residency and you are nondeployable during the residency. You end up at about 14-15 years of service at the end of your service committment, and you can probably gut out the additional 5 for retirement. If conditions are bad and you want out, you only really are exposed to 4 years of deployability as you cannot be deployed as a resident, and which probably equates to one, at most 2 deployments given current rotation rates and it is doubtful that Iraq will be an issue in the 8 years of training you still have to go through (medical school + residency). As far as choosing your specialty, you will probably get what you want, especially if you are bright, hard working and collegial.

Don't sweat the negative posts from the former/current USAF/USN posters, as both systems in my opinion and experience are vastly inferior to the Army's medical department.

The Army has many of the same flaws as the USN/USAF but is much larger and in general more robust with more training opportunies and assignment opportunities.