Army HPSP Notification Date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fewmasses

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've submitted my application for the Army HPSP this year and was able to get everything in on time for this past week's board. I was wondering if anyone who had received the HPSP in past years, or anyone who is knowledgeable to the timeline for this year, could shed some light onto when the board's decision will be given to recruiters? I've asked my recruiter for an approximate date and he stated "We'll let you know as soon as we know."

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I've submitted my application for the Army HPSP this year and was able to get everything in on time for this past week's board. I was wondering if anyone who had received the HPSP in past years, or anyone who is knowledgeable to the timeline for this year, could shed some light onto when the board's decision will be given to recruiters? I've asked my recruiter for an approximate date and he stated "We'll let you know as soon as we know."

They adjourned yesterday. The results should be posted and the recruiters notified within five working days of the decision (by the 23rd). However this can run over, plus MLK day. Send me a PM and you can ask me detailed questions.

They adjourned yesterday. The results should be posted and the recruiters notified within five working days of the decision (by the 23rd). However this can run over, plus MLK day. Send me a PM and you can ask me detailed questions.
Thanks for the details, I really appreciate it! I was told the dates were the 13th-15th, It's so difficult to get a straight answer out of anyoneabout dates, etc!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the details, I really appreciate it! I was told the dates were the 13th-15th, It's so difficult to get a straight answer out of anyoneabout dates, etc!

Yeah, its because they vary year to year. This year they started on the 13th, but didn't adjourn until yesterday. I got a text from my recruiter saying he had spoke with them and that they were interested in my file specifically, but would provide results to all applicants within 5 working days of adjourning. I have a lot of respect for the recruiting station I am at. They have given me information and answered all of my questions every step of the way. Do you have any other questions? Believe me, its eating a me too!

Yeah, its because they vary year to year. This year they started on the 13th, but didn't adjourn until yesterday. I got a text from my recruiter saying he had spoke with them and that they were interested in my file specifically, but would provide results to all applicants within 5 working days of adjourning. I have a lot of respect for the recruiting station I am at. They have given me information and answered all of my questions every step of the way. Do you have any other questions? Believe me, its eating a me too!

I'm interested in hearing more about HPSP and sent you a PM with some specific questions earlier this week. I think that's great they showed interest in your file. Does that mean you got the scholarship? What were they looking for specifically?

Appreciate all the info!

Awesome, thank you for the information. I'm pretty knowledgable about the whole process except for what happens next! The recruiter ive been working with (my fifth one is 9 months) is new and as such is trying to figure everything out along the way. I was told I was rated as highly qualified to be an officer/psychologist by my interviewers and just hoping the board felt the same!

ps. if you have any other info you should share it publicly! We psych people are too secretive and I'm sure there are many people who are in the same naive boat that we were in whem we started.

I'm interested in hearing more about HPSP and sent you a PM with some specific questions earlier this week. I think that's great they showed interest in your file. Does that mean you got the scholarship? What were they looking for specifically?

Appreciate all the info!

I sent a PM answering all of your questions (sorry I missed it). I'm not quite sure what it means, and I'm just hoping for the best! :)

Awesome, thank you for the information. I'm pretty knowledgable about the whole process except for what happens next! The recruiter ive been working with (my fifth one is 9 months) is new and as such is trying to figure everything out along the way. I was told I was rated as highly qualified to be an officer/psychologist by my interviewers and just hoping the board felt the same!

ps. if you have any other info you should share it publicly! We psych people are too secretive and I'm sure there are many people who are in the same naive boat that we were in whem we started.

I had that problem with the Navy, they handed me off to other recruiters and it was a mess. The Army has been on top of their game the entire time, like I said, nothing but respect. Definitely, if anyone has any questions (that aren't too private) please ask and I'll answer the best that I can. Also, let us know what happens and what you hear this week (I will too!) Best of luck to everyone involved in the process!

Has anyone been notified yet?

Has anyone been notified yet?

No. I spoke with my recruiter and he said they are projecting for next Friday now. I have no idea what happens between the board making their decision and notification.

No. I spoke with my recruiter and he said they are projecting for next Friday now. I have no idea what happens between the board making their decision and notification.
Good to know, thanks for the reply! I was told I would be updated by next Wednesday, but again who knows. At this point, I think I'll know about my air force results before I hear from the Army.

Good to know, thanks for the reply! I was told I would be updated by next Wednesday, but again who knows. At this point, I think I'll know about my air force results before I hear from the Army.

That's so true lol. To be fair, my recruiter said within 5 working days, but that they have often taken two weeks and to not be surprised if it took that long. So this coming Friday would be two weeks (as he confirmed when he called yesterday). Its going to be a slow week ahead, that's for sure!

Did you hear anything, like your recruiter said?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you hear anything, like your recruiter said?
Was told today that the Medical Corps Board Results were released today, which means MDs/DOs and the like. Apparently, all of AMEDD had a huge board, and results will be released over the next few days beginning with the Medical Corps, then the Nurse Corpse, the Dental Corps, and finally the Medical Services Corps (us) on Friday (hopefully!).

Was told today that the Medical Corps Board Results were released today, which means MDs/DOs and the like. Apparently, all of AMEDD had a huge board, and results will be released over the next few days beginning with the Medical Corps, then the Nurse Corpse, the Dental Corps, and finally the Medical Services Corps (us) on Friday (hopefully!).

Which makes sense since they adjourned, on the 16th. Since my recruiter said this Friday, that seems pretty accurate right? Have you heard from the Air Force yet either? Either way, let us know! My other other application was to the Navy, but they don't make their decision until April/May-ish.

By the way, is that supposed to be a morning notification or an evening notification? The anticipation is killer.:D

[QUOTE="xXIDaShizIXx, post: 16123959, member: 423803"By the way, at supposed to be a morning notification or an evening notification? The anticipation is killer.:D[/QUOTE]

Was notified this morning of acceptance, so the list is out. Good luck to you!

[QUOTE="xXIDaShizIXx, post: 16123959, member: 423803"By the way, at supposed to be a morning notification or an evening notification? Thation is killer.:D

Was notified this morning of acceptance, so the list is out. Good luck to you![/QUOTE]

Corrrection: I was notified of board select status. Those names who were selected by the board are now entered on a scroll, which is sent to the surgeon general of the Army, who will then sign his approval. After that, official offers are sent out and a background check is initiated. if your name is on this list, its a great sign. Best of luck to you!

Was notified this morning of acceptance, so the list is out. Good luck to you!

Corrrection: I was notified of board select status. Those names who were selected by the board are now entered on a scroll, which is sent to the surgeon general of the Army, who will then sign his approval. After that, official offers are sent out and a background check is initiated. if your name is on this list, its a great sign. Best of luck to you![/QUOTE]

I called my recruiter and he said they havent been given any of the results for the boards yet. I wonder if its a regional thing?

Corrrection: I was notified of board select status. Those names who were selected by the board are now entered on a scroll, which is sent to the surgeon general of the Army, who will then sign his approval. After that, official offers are sent out and a background check is initiated. if your name is on this list, its a great sign. Best of luck to you!

I called my recruiter and he said they havent been given any of the results for the boards yet. I wonder if its a regional thing?[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure to be honest. The results aren't necessarily "official" until the Surgeon General signs off on them. I'm wondering if your recruiter is holding out on notifying you until that happens? Keep in mind that I'm not sure, but I was told this would be around a 10 day process.

I called my recruiter and he said they havent been given any of the results for the boards yet. I wonder if its a regional thing?

I'm not really sure to be honest. The results aren't necessarily "official" until the Surgeon General signs off on them. I'm wondering if your recruiter is holding out on notifying you until that happens? Keep in mind that I'm not sure, but I was told this would be around a 10 day process.[/QUOTE]

He told me tomorrow for sure. I'm not sure how they are handling it. I'll let you know tomorrow. So the signature and background check takes 10 days then you can do your paperwork/ Oath of Office?

I'm not really sure to be honest. The results aren't necessarily "official" until the Surgeon General signs off on them. I'm wondering if your recruiter is holding out on notifying you until that happens? Keep in mind that I'm not sure, but I was told this would be around a 10 day process.

He told me tomorrow for sure. I'm not sure how they are handling it. I'll let you know tomorrow. So the signature and background check takes 10 days then you can do your paperwork/ Oath of Office?[/QUOTE]

I called a little while ago to clarify some things. I was completely caught off guard/elated when he called earlier. So, someone very high up in the military (secretary of defense, surgeon general of the army, or someone in congress) will receive the list of names (titled Scrolls). He or she then puts a rubber stamp on it approving the candidate for commissioning. This process can take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks, apparently. Once you are approved in this fashion, your background check begins, with no time frame given for how long this can take. I was told that it could take anywhere from 1 month to 4 months to receive the final approval and commissioning paperwork, with some people who were approved in January 2014 commissioning in May/June. If your name is on a scroll, it's almost like an acceptance. You just have to pass through the final hoops to finalize everything. What I think (and hope) is that the board selected 9 applicants for the 9 slots and the rest of the names are place on the Order of Merit list (OML) which is basically a list rank ordering candidates by things like GPA and GRE score. Apparently it's a whole lot of more hurrying up and waiting. I look forward to hearing some good news about your application!!!!

He told me tomorrow for sure. I'm not sure how they are handling it. I'll let you know tomorrow. So the signature and background check takes 10 days then you can do your paperwork/ Oath of Office?

I called a little while ago to clarify some things. I was completely caught off guard/elated when he called earlier. So, someone very high up in the military (secretary of defense, surgeon general of the army, or someone in congress) will receive the list of names (titled Scrolls). He or she then puts a rubber stamp on it approving the candidate for commissioning. This process can take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks, apparently. Once you are approved in this fashion, your background check begins, with no time frame given for how long this can take. I was told that it could take anywhere from 1 month to 4 months to receive the final approval and commissioning paperwork, with some people who were approved in January 2014 commissioning in May/June. If your name is on a scroll, it's almost like an acceptance. You just have to pass through the final hoops to finalize everything. What I think (and hope) is that the board selected 9 applicants for the 9 slots and the rest of the names are place on the Order of Merit list (OML) which is basically a list rank ordering candidates by things like GPA and GRE score. Apparently it's a whole lot of more hurrying up and waiting. I look forward to hearing some good news about your application!!!![/QUOTE]

I spoke with my recruiter and he said he thinks I got it but hes waiting on official results, before he gives me the final verdict lol. But now hes saying not to expect official results until Wednesday. I think you may be right, he knows but is waiting on official word. if I may ask, what part of the country are you in?

I've seen conflicting information regarding when to apply for the HPSP. I spoke to a recruiter for Army who basically told me I cannot apply for the program until my second year. While an Air Force recruiter told me to apply my first year. I really rather go through the Army, but what do you suggest when the Army recruiter is not too certain about the process? What can I do my first year to ensure I am a strong candidate? Also, any suggestions on what I can do to work on my "dreaded" packet? Seemed like the recruiter was more concerned on how long it was going to take him to complete my paperwork.
Thanks

I've seen conflicting information regarding when to apply for the HPSP. I spoke to a recruiter for Army who basically told me I cannot apply for the program until my second year. While an Air Force recruiter told me to apply my first year. I really rather go through the Army, but what do you suggest when the Army recruiter is not too certain about the process? What can I do my first year to ensure I am a strong candidate? Also, any suggestions on what I can do to work on my "dreaded" packet? Seemed like the recruiter was more concerned on how long it was going to take him to complete my paperwork.
Thanks
Make sure you are speaking with a Medical Program Recruiter, not just any recruiter, as the latter tend to be confused about officer commissioning programs. Although the benefits of the Army and the Air Force HPSP are essentially the same, the difference lies within when you are able to apply. I have applied to both this year, however, am the most familiar with the Army's process. For the Army, they offer both 1 and 2 year scholarships, not to include your internship year. So, for example, I applied for the Army's scholarship in the beginning (fall) of my second year in my program, received it, and benefits will kick in for both my third and fourth year. You are not eligible to begin the process until you have one year of graduate education under your belt, and will become eligible to receive benefits after your second year is complete. It's not that your recruiter is unsure about the process, he just might be unconcerned because it is so early in the process for you. You might re convey your strong interest in the program and ask if there is anything you can complete now even though you're not eligible yet.

As for the Air Force, I'm not certain regarding how many years they will cover, but it must be at least two because I was eligible to apply for this January's board selection. If this is the case, the process is the same as above. I'm under the impression that the Navy is the only branch to offer a 3 + year scholarship, but maybe someone else can chime in about this part of your question.

I've never served on a board, but can relay what I have been told and what has seemed to work for me for the Army. (Still waiting on Air Force results). One thing that they look for is STRONG clinical skills. Although they recognize that research experience is important, clinical activities weigh very heavily in their decision. Additionally, if you have any leadership positions, they love to see that. After all, you're going to be an officer first, psychologist second in the military. Also, you want to make sure your grades are in line, all A's if you are able to manage that. Also, community service seemed extremely important in my interview, and I spoke about it more so than my work experience. I was also told that your ability to support yourself through full time employment, both during undergrad and graduate school also is looked upon favorably. Basically, my suggestion is don't just "do school". Have other meaningful activities outside of school and your personal life. Finally, if you can demonstrate a knowledge of what a military psychologist does on a day to day basis, the variability of jobs you will have in the military, and your willingness to be flexible, you're headed in the right direction.

As far as the packet, I'd need a little more clarification about what you mean.

Hope this helps! It is a long and tedious process, try not to get discouraged.

Make sure you are speaking with a Medical Program Recruiter, not just any recruiter, as the latter tend to be confused about officer commissioning programs. Although the benefits of the Army and the Air Force HPSP are essentially the same, the difference lies within when you are able to apply. I have applied to both this year, however, am the most familiar with the Army's process. For the Army, they offer both 1 and 2 year scholarships, not to include your internship year. So, for example, I applied for the Army's scholarship in the beginning (fall) of my second year in my program, received it, and benefits will kick in for both my third and fourth year. You are not eligible to begin the process until you have one year of graduate education under your belt, and will become eligible to receive benefits after your second year is complete. It's not that your recruiter is unsure about the process, he just might be unconcerned because it is so early in the process for you. You might re convey your strong interest in the program and ask if there is anything you can complete now even though you're not eligible yet.

As for the Air Force, I'm not certain regarding how many years they will cover, but it must be at least two because I was eligible to apply for this January's board selection. If this is the case, the process is the same as above. I'm under the impression that the Navy is the only branch to offer a 3 + year scholarship, but maybe someone else can chime in about this part of your question.

I've never served on a board, but can relay what I have been told and what has seemed to work for me for the Army. (Still waiting on Air Force results). One thing that they look for is STRONG clinical skills. Although they recognize that research experience is important, clinical activities weigh very heavily in their decision. Additionally, if you have any leadership positions, they love to see that. After all, you're going to be an officer first, psychologist second in the military. Also, you want to make sure your grades are in line, all A's if you are able to manage that. Also, community service seemed extremely important in my interview, and I spoke about it more so than my work experience. I was also told that your ability to support yourself through full time employment, both during undergrad and graduate school also is looked upon favorably. Basically, my suggestion is don't just "do school". Have other meaningful activities outside of school and your personal life. Finally, if you can demonstrate a knowledge of what a military psychologist does on a day to day basis, the variability of jobs you will have in the military, and your willingness to be flexible, you're headed in the right direction.

Clawless explained it better than I did in other threads. Get a medical recruiter. Now here is the hard part, not only do you need a medical recruiter, you need one who has worked with psychology students before, because we are like magical unicorns to them because we are so few and far between the number they give out to medical and dental students. I also have to agree, they really do like seeing clinical experience, volunteer work, and a decent GPA (3.5+). The Navy is the only 3 year, that I know of. Good luck to you OP!

Clawless,

Sent you a PM with a few questions when you have some free time to check it out. Thanks!

mck

I've never served on a board, but can relay what I have been told and what has seemed to work for me for the Army. (Still waiting on Air Force results). One thing that they look for is STRONG clinical skills. Although they recognize that research experience is important, clinical activities weigh very heavily in their decision. Additionally, if you have any leadership positions, they love to see that. After all, you're going to be an officer first, psychologist second in the military. Also, you want to make sure your grades are in line, all A's if you are able to manage that. Also, community service seemed extremely important in my interview, and I spoke about it more so than my work experience. I was you foralso told that your ability to support yourself through full time employment, both during undergrad and graduate school also is looked upon favorably. Basically, my suggestion is don't just "do school". Have other meaningful activities outside of school and your personal life. Finally, if you can demonstrate a knowledge of what a military psychologist does on a day to day basis, the variability of jobs you will have in the military, and your willingness to be flexible, you're headed in the right direction.

Thank you for your time and your valuable insight. Do you happen to know if there is an age limit?

Thank you for your time and your valuable insight. Do you happen to know if there is an age limit?

You'll have to confirm that with a recruiter, but I believe anything before 42 is fine. After 42, you will have to get an age waiver. I've heard different things about these. One person has stated they are easy to get, as long as you can complete your minimum commitment by 62. However, I've heard others stating its difficult. I never went through the process for any waivers though.

Hello everyone, I am a little late on the thread but I found out on 2/2 of my selection for the 2 year Army scholarship. My scroll was submitted and I got the approval. Will be commissioning within the next few days (ceremony is being set up). The background check will proceed and if you do not pass the background check you will be honorably discharged. If you pass it, all will proceed as normal. Hope this helps.