Army intern: scrubs and fleece?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merd3ster90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of sheer curiosity, will interns at a military hospital be allowed to wear scrubs and a black fleece (no logos)? I know they can wear scrubs+white coat, but what about going sans white coat or pairing scrubs with a black fleece? Is there a "uniform code" interns must strictly follow while in scrubs? I noticed girls don't even have to have their hair in a bun if in scrubs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on department and time of day. When I was at Reed, there was a policy that something must always be worn over scrubs when not in the OR. The anesthesiology residents got together and designed fleece jackets for hospital wear, and got them approved. When I was an intern on IM on call at night, I sometimes wore a light fleece over my scrubs instead of a white coat, and nobody gave me crap. I don't think I would have gotten away with it during the day, however

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

It also depends on department and time of day. When I was at Reed, there was a policy that something must always be worn over scrubs when not in the OR. The anesthesiology residents got together and designed fleece jackets for hospital wear, and got them approved. When I was an intern on IM on call at night, I sometimes wore a light fleece over my scrubs instead of a white coat, and nobody gave me crap. I don't think I would have gotten away with it during the day, however

Ahh, but that was at the Death Star my friend--the Walter Reed of a bygone era. The era of the "Go for Green" daily lunch special, cockroaches scuttling across the floor of the tunnel connecting building 2 to the old hospital, and the too comfy seats of the Lawrence Joel Auditorium that tenderly invited an exhausted resident to visit Hypnos for a few sweet moments while interchangeable NCOs droned.

Our young friend will never know that Walter Reed. He will know only pain. The pain of never being able to find parking. The pain of vegetable quiche and carrot medley in the galley every Tuesday afternoon. The pain of the one-stop-shop.

My wife used to wear a light blue fleece over her scrubs after duty hours while on call at the old Walter Reed, while NNMC is still the only military hospital I've ever worked in where somebody got upset that I didn't wear a t-shirt under my scrub top. Unless things have changed significantly in Bethesda, the idea of creating a department esprit de corps fleece and going through official approval channels is a good one.

Ahh, but that was at the Death Star my friend--the Walter Reed of a bygone era. The era of the "Go for Green" daily lunch special, cockroaches scuttling across the floor of the tunnel connecting building 2 to the old hospital, and the too comfy seats of the Lawrence Joel Auditorium that tenderly invited an exhausted resident to visit Hypnos for a few sweet moments while interchangeable NCOs droned.

Our young friend will never know that Walter Reed. He will know only pain. The pain of never being able to find parking. The pain of vegetable quiche and carrot medley in the galley every Tuesday afternoon. The pain of the one-stop-shop.

My wife used to wear a light blue fleece over her scrubs after duty hours while on call at the old Walter Reed, while NNMC is still the only military hospital I've ever worked in where somebody got upset that I didn't wear a t-shirt under my scrub top. Unless things have changed significantly in Bethesda, the idea of creating a department esprit de corps fleece and going through official approval channels is a good one.

Ahh, nostalgia, turning negative associations into positive memories. The department fleece was at Bethesda, started by two residents (Navy, if I recall correctly) as something just for us, and spread to the rest of the department.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Every department has their own fleece now. Including PT/OT. Don't wear your own though, or the super motivated command master chief will dress you down if he sees you. I was yelled at by him walking by the CDO desk with a steth around my neck. I now wear it around my neck everywhere because **** you if you think that's important. (flea collar jokes aside)

Just out of sheer curiosity, will interns at a military hospital be allowed to wear scrubs and a black fleece (no logos)? I know they can wear scrubs+white coat, but what about going sans white coat or pairing scrubs with a black fleece? Is there a "uniform code" interns must strictly follow while in scrubs? I noticed girls don't even have to have their hair in a bun if in scrubs. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. As the saying goes, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I'll wear a fleece over scrubs until someone gives me crap.

Consider wearing a vest instead. Do you know what the best part of a vest is? No sleeves!

Thanks everyone. As the saying goes, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I'll wear a fleece over scrubs until someone gives me crap.

Most departments have their own fleece. I'd just get that one and call it a day.