Army OMFS or Civilian OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyosborne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying for the 2-year Army HPSP (3 year commitment), but I've been interested in OMFS as well. I'm wondering if it's worth it to take HPSP and pursue OMFS if the payback is concurrent anyway or to not take HPSP and just apply for a civilian OMFS. I've roughly crunched the numbers and time spent in both. I've listed pros and cons of both. My rank is top 20% and I'm hoping to crush the CBSE in the summer. I wanted to know if there are any other factors I should consider?

Pros of Army HPSP + OMFS
Minimal debt (~300k since HPSP only covers 2 years)
Possible GI bill (almost 10 year commitment)
Easier time getting into Army OMFS residency
Living in new place

Cons of Army HPSP + OMFS
Loss of autonomy
Delay starting family
Living in new place

Pros of Civilian OMFS
Full autonomy, can start work after 4 years
Higher pay after residency

Cons of Civilian OMFS
Higher debt load after residency (~600k+ full loan amount)
Competitive OMFS residency

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t do it.

The ONLY reason to go Army OMS is because it’s easier to be accepted, although even that’s changing somewhat as they are starting to accept off the civilian match.

This is especially a bad decision for you as you only will have 2 years of school paid for. Your minimum commitment will be 9 years if you get accepted while still in dental school: snow bird year, 4yr residency, 4yr payback. You can work another year for the GI Bill but most people don’t because the quality of life sucks and the civilian pay will be so much higher.

If you go the military route you will be at least $1M and 5yrs behind your civilian equivalent path, not taking into account the opportunity cost of skills attrition, no choice of which ****hole you’ll be sent to, terrible leadership etc.

If you have **** grades but your grandfather was a general or your parents are active high ranking dental officers then go HPSP. Otherwise absolutely not

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t do it.

The ONLY reason to go Army OMS is because it’s easier to be accepted, although even that’s changing somewhat as they are starting to accept off the civilian match.

This is especially a bad decision for you as you only will have 2 years of school paid for. Your minimum commitment will be 9 years if you get accepted while still in dental school: snow bird year, 4yr residency, 4yr payback. You can work another year for the GI Bill but most people don’t because the quality of life sucks and the civilian pay will be so much higher.

If you go the military route you will be at least $1M and 5yrs behind your civilian equivalent path, not taking into account the opportunity cost of skills attrition, no choice of which ****hole you’ll be sent to, terrible leadership etc.

If you have **** grades but your grandfather was a general or your parents are active high ranking dental officers then go HPSP. Otherwise absolutely not
IMG_0286.jpeg

Big Hoss