Army Orders for OBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WACAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone doing Army OBC this summer gotten their orders? I was going to made a trip up to the PX for my ACU's next week and apparently I need my orders to get my ID card (at least the cac). I was hoping to do it all in just one trip since it is a few hours drive from where I live.

Members don't see this ad.

WACAT said:
Has anyone doing Army OBC this summer gotten their orders? I was going to made a trip up to the PX for my ACU's next week and apparently I need my orders to get my ID card (at least the cac). I was hoping to do it all in just one trip since it is a few hours drive from where I live.

You know it's really straight up wrong that the military gets folks to sign for military medicine up without any prior service.

The best of the luck to you, among the lessons you'll shortly be learning, orders are similar to a driver’s license, especially at a new duty station, you'll use them as often as toilet paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the reporting uniform to OBC was flip flops, Hawaiian shirt and a Budweiser trucker hat ?

alpha62 said:
I thought the reporting uniform to OBC was flip flops, Hawaiian shirt and a Budweiser trucker hat ?

Maybe for you medical guys. I went through the real thing (Infantry) via Ranger, Airborne & Air Assualt School.

One of the docs I met in the sandbox said a few guys at his OBC showed up with golf clubs.

My understanding is that most of the Medical & Legal OBCs are a different type of instruction. Like what to wear at the Christmas Ball or the Commanding General's Party.

MeBen said:
Maybe for you medical guys. I went through the real thing (Infantry) via Ranger, Airborne & Air Assualt School.

One of the docs I met in the sandbox said a few guys at his OBC showed up with golf clubs.

My understanding is that most of the Medical & Legal OBCs are a different type of instruction. Like what to wear at the Christmas Ball or the Commanding General's Party.

There IS a week-long FTX ;)

Yeah, and I'm still having flashbacks about the air conditioning going out :smuggrin:

HooahDOc said:
There IS a week-long FTX ;)

alpha62 said:
Yeah, and I'm still having flashbacks about the air conditioning going out :smuggrin:

I can remember the TV going out in the dayroom (the only time I was in there). That was almost as bad as the three weeks in the field..

alpha62 said:

I can remember the TV going out in the dayroom (the only time I was in there). That was almost as bad as the three weeks in the field.

MeBen said:

Try doing that enlisted. Now that's an eye opener. Reporting to 6th RNG TRN BN as a leg. Oh the memories...

I was straight-leg enlisted infantry before I got that butterbar. The Army likes it grunt officers to have all this fancy schooling. Since I left OBC I have been in all straight-leg infantry companies. The Army, go figure.

Just got my order today. I guess you all will be getting them soon.

I went to OBC in 2000 between 1st and 2nd year of Med School. It was one of the most shamtastic experiences I have ever had in the Army. One 6 week long party- with a few days of silliness put in for the FTX. Now that I am in the operational army, I realize that my buddies in Infantry and Armor OBC had to do do work during their OBC. I am not sure what is being taught now, but I did not learn anything of any value there and even less worth remembering.
I do remember the BOOZE and fun though.

HAVE FUN THERE- it might be the best experience you have in the Army (until you go to the Advanced course, the Flight surgeon course, and some other sham schools the AMEDD runs). You won't have nearly as much fun on deployments or residency (trust me I know).

I think you were in one the last "fun" classes they had. I think they went to "small groups" after that. Didn't seem like a party. Just a lot of BS. Being prior service and prior enlisted, which many of us were, probably set up some lack of class cohesion.

Just my own opinion, and maybe just my particular class, but it became an exercise in pettiness, a lot of REMF type BS, being treated like a high school student and I looked forward to going to a line unit and far away from some cadre that had never been on the line or operations and really needed to be sent straight to Iraq. I had way more fun overseas and away from MSCs.

hosskp1 said:
I went to OBC in 2000 between 1st and 2nd year of Med School. It was one of the most shamtastic experiences I have ever had in the Army. One 6 week long party- with a few days of silliness put in for the FTX. Now that I am in the operational army, I realize that my buddies in Infantry and Armor OBC had to do do work during their OBC. I am not sure what is being taught now, but I did not learn anything of any value there and even less worth remembering.
I do remember the BOOZE and fun though.

HAVE FUN THERE- it might be the best experience you have in the Army (until you go to the Advanced course, the Flight surgeon course, and some other sham schools the AMEDD runs). You won't have nearly as much fun on deployments or residency (trust me I know).

alpha62 said:
I think you were in one the last "fun" classes they had. I think they went to "small groups" after that. Didn't seem like a party. Just a lot of BS. Being prior service and prior enlisted, which many of us were, probably set up some lack of class cohesion.

Just my own opinion, and maybe just my particular class, but it became an exercise in pettiness, a lot of REMF type BS, being treated like a high school student and I looked forward to going to a line unit and far away from some cadre that had never been on the line or operations and really needed to be sent straight to Iraq. I had way more fun overseas and away from MSCs.

Were you in the USUHS/HPSP class? because I went through in 2005 and it was a cakewalk. yes, there was plenty of BS and death-by-powerpoint, but all-in-all it was pretty harmless, and there was PLENTY of free time to party it up for 6 weeks (ok, 5, because of the Camp Bullis "experience"). We went out most every night, and weekends were completely free. I was prior service as well, and fully expected to get the s#!t beat out of us, so I was pretty giddy when it was such a cakewalk.

to the OP: some people got their orders the day before, although they were the exception. if you are driving (which I recommend), you really don't need them before then, and you really don't need that much advance planning if you are flying, either. most people didn't have uniforms or ID cards. they had us buy PT gear monday morning and we wore that until every last person could get their BDUs squared away (which took forever). we got our ID cards sometime during that first week. the whole inprocessing was one big CF.......

alpha62 said:

We had a lot of the same pettiness and nitnoid stuff go on. I was not prior service so this was all new to me. WE also had small groups as well, but it was really easy. I have fond memories of hanging out in San Antonio and partying it up. To me it was a paid vacation after going through the torture of 1st year medical school. You are right though- I am having way more fun overseas in a real line unit- but that is going to change for me now as I head back to residency. Personally, I hope the curriculum has changed and kept up with what is going on in the Army now and the students are learning things that they can use on deployments to better integrate with the line units.

Anyone have any experience with OBC after school? I'm kinda worried that it'll create problems with internship. VCOM's year round and my scroll hasn't come in yet to get me to OBC by June 11th. Thus, after school OBC is the only option. Any help/ideas?

J-Smitty