Army Uniform Change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has there been any development regarding getting rid of these ineffective (and ugly) ACUs for Multi-Cam across the board? Also, why does it seem that the Army doesn't wear its service uniform regularly like other service branches...even at recruiting events? It looks sharp and more professional!

Members don't see this ad.

Has there been any development regarding getting rid of these ineffective (and ugly) ACUs for Multi-Cam across the board? Also, why does it seem that the Army doesn't wear its service uniform regularly like other service branches...even at recruiting events? It looks sharp and more professional!

I am curious as well!

I am curious as well!
I haven't seen any official date for the next replacement uniform, so I imagine it's still several years away with a period of time where there will be overlapping uniforms.

As far as the service uniform - in the absence of any required uniform of the day you can wear it. In the medical field you are normally in scrubs during the day, but if you wanted to wear your ASU (service uniform) to and from work everyday you can. However, you would probably need a set of ACUs just in case there was some formation you needed to be in where everyone else would be in ACUs.

When I have done recruiting events, the recruiter makes the decision on what to wear. I have done business casual, ACU, and ASUs based on their guidance. It is the recruiters call.

In my current job we are required to wear the ASU every friday, and I have other friends that have to wear them on certain days as well. It depends on what your Command requires. One reason why individuals may choose not to routinely wear it is because of the dry cleaning bill. Your ACUs are wash and wear, not need to iron or do anything special with them. Your ASUs (especially when worn with the jacket) will have to be dry cleaned.

Ultimately you may wear them as often as you want. May as well get your money's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why so much hate for ACU's? I personally don't mind how they look. The only complaint that I've heard about the uniform from my Army buddies was related to the velcro.

Why so much hate for ACU's? I personally don't mind how they look. The only complaint that I've heard about the uniform from my Army buddies was related to the velcro.

Because they look like green pajamas and doesn't work well in any environment.

A girl in my class complained about the color of our school's gloves once. This sort of reminds me of that.
Amen. Look at it this way...you never have to choose what to wear M-F, and your clothing bill will be small because of that. Most of the time you will be in scrubs anyway that are provided by the clinic so you don't have to worry about it.

There was talk of multicam a year or so ago...but I haven't seen ANYTHING since. In all honesty...I would be surprised if anything came up in the near future with us withdrawing from Afghanistan and the current financial constraints.