Arrest in p3 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Avoid any rotations at the VA, Public Health Service, Indian Health Service, the FDA, the CDC, and prisons if you can.

Fixed that for you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
^ the difference? Those pharmacists did stupid things after they got licensed. Big difference.

Everyone and their mom are getting accepted nowadays. This also means employers have a lot of pharmacists to choose from.

Please stop making excuses for people who do stupid things. Just because I am depressed doesn't mean I get a pass for driving drunk and hurting someone.

And stop assuming this is the first time this person stole something. It is not the first and won't be the last.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Have you been molested as a child or something? So much conservative and hateful thoughts.
How do you know it is not their first and won't be the last?
Do you even know if OP is a guy or girl? If you don't even know that, just sit down and shut up.
I really wish you won't/don't have children, because if you do, you would not know how to parent or you might end up molesting them as well.

"the difference? Those pharmacists did stupid things after they got licensed. Big difference." <- Such an ignorant comment. So you think all pharmacists did stupid things AFTER they got their license and pharmacy students NEVER committed a crime and went on to become pharmacists.... think before you type kid.

Have you been molested as a child or something?

I really wish you won't/don't have children, because if you do, you would not know how to parent or you might end up molesting them as well

Dude..

OK. We need some Ativan over here, STAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
damn what a beautiful story you told! minimum 5 out 10 pharmacy school students have done something "illegal" from stealing to smoking weed to drunk driving to fighting. most people are lucky enough not to get caught. cmon fess up share your sins?
Weed is not illegal . Well in my state it isn't anyways .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you been molested as a child or something? So much conservative and hateful thoughts.
How do you know it is not their first and won't be the last?
Do you even know if OP is a guy or girl? If you don't even know that, just sit down and shut up.
I really wish you won't/don't have children, because if you do, you would not know how to parent or you might end up molesting them as well.

"the difference? Those pharmacists did stupid things after they got licensed. Big difference." <- Such an ignorant comment. So you think all pharmacists did stupid things AFTER they got their license and pharmacy students NEVER committed a crime and went on to become pharmacists.... think before you type kid.

Did you just sign up to post in this thread?

People don't start to shoplift when they are in the mid 20s. My bet is this person has stole in the past and he/she finally got caught.

No, you don't have the privilege to earn a doctorate degree and make 6 figures.

Don't think about lying. When the board of pharmacy finds out, they will not only reject your licensure application request but they will also post the finding on its website so everyone can read about it and charge you the cost of the investigation. Don't believe me? Look it up.

You are held to a much higher standards because you are a pharmacist. It doesn't have to be criminal. There is a moral turpitude clause.

Reactions: 1 users
Weed is not illegal . Well in my state it isn't anyways .

Good luck arguing that. State law does not supersede federal law no matter what Colorado and Washington think. Your pharmacy law instructor should have explained the difference....

Reactions: 2 users
To the OP: please ignore all the useless, negative and utterly ridiculous comments you've heard here from some of these people! You made a mistake and you're clearly remorseful and are regretting it. Learn from it, don't repeat it again, and move on! And I think you will be fine in the long run with regards to your license/job etc. I've never been in your shoes, but I've got lots of empathy for you, dude.

The world is filled with imperfections and that's the norm, not the other way around. Of course we always strive to do/be better and closer to the ideal, but the path to getting there is through mistakes and learning from them. That's how everyone becomes a better person; that's how everyone learns. This was your mistake. Learn from it and don't ever do it again. We all have made mistakes at various times and under different circumstances and we are all now better for it. If we were to take the stance of someone like BMbiology, there'd be no people living on earth, because he/she'd indict and execute all of them!

Right. This guy is gonna somehow be given a pass when there are thousands of other students without a criminal record begging for a job. Give me a break.

To the OP: please ignore all the useless, negative and utterly ridiculous comments you've heard here from some of these people! You made a mistake and you're clearly remorseful and are regretting it. Learn from it, don't repeat it again, and move on! And I think you will be fine in the long run with regards to your license/job etc. I've never been in your shoes, but I've got lots of empathy for you, dude.

The world is filled with imperfections and that's the norm, not the other way around. Of course we always strive to do/be better and closer to the ideal, but the path to getting there is through mistakes and learning from them. That's how everyone becomes a better person; that's how everyone learns. This was your mistake. Learn from it and don't ever do it again. We all have made mistakes at various times and under different circumstances and we are all now better for it. If we were to take the stance of someone like BMbiology, there'd be no people living on earth, because he/she'd indict and execute all of them!

I am doing this fool a favor by telling him/her the truth. Trying to hide this. Lying about this will lead to worse thing with the board of pharmacy.

Like I said....his/her employer will do a background check and when this comes up, he is not going to get a job offer.

It is time to face the music.

First of all, do not call him a "fool!" It's disrespectful and you're a pharmacist, so you should hold yourself to a higher standard (this last sentence was a taste of your own medicine).

Second of all, it's very clear that you're not here trying to help this guy at all with a comment like "and stop assuming this is the first time this person stole something. It is not the first and won't be the last." Your certainty in making such an assertion makes YOU look like the fool!

If he is not a fool then who is? He put all of that time and invested all that money and he screwed it all up? For what? For some clothes?

I don't want this guy to represent us and work as a pharmacist. Do something else as a career.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone who says it'll be ok answer this: a person applies for a technician job. You call their previous employer to see why they were fired and they say theft. You are telling me you would hire them if they say they have learned their lesson? I'm sorry but if you are willing to steal once, they have a higher chance of doing it again.

There's no reason for this person to be hired when there are so many other options.

My question for the OP is why did you do it? How do we know you won't do it again? What happens when you get in an accident and you run out of your oxys? Will the thought of stealing one run through your head?

Last edited:
For everyone who says it'll be ok answer this: a person applies for a technician job. You call their previous employer to see why they were fired and they say theft. You are telling me you would hire them if they say they have learned their lesson? I'm sorry but if you are willing to steal once, they have a higher chance of doing it again.

There's no reason for this person to be hired when there are so many other options.

My question for the OP is why did you do it? How do we know you won't do it again? What happens when you get in an accident and you run out of your oxys? Will the thought of stealing one run through your head?
I am actually really depressed and was going through a lot in my life. I have been in an emotionally abusive relationship and he constantly was telling me to kill myself and cut myself. I should've cut him out of my life but I thought that I could handle it. We had gotten in a fight that day and it was really hard on me. He told me lots of nasty things and I honestly couldn't take it and I thought who cares what happens to me....it was a first time thing. I realized that I need help and should get counseling. On top of everything my dad is really sick. It's just a lot of things that are piling up and I don't know why I thought this would help me. It has honestly made me feel worthless and I hate myself for doing it.

I am actually really depressed and was going through a lot in my life. I have been in an emotionally abusive relationship and he constantly was telling me to kill myself and cut myself. I should've cut him out of my life but I thought that I could handle it. We had gotten in a fight that day and it was really hard on me. He told me lots of nasty things and I honestly couldn't take it and I thought who cares what happens to me....it was a first time thing. I realized that I need help and should get counseling. On top of everything my dad is really sick. It's just a lot of things that are piling up and I don't know why I thought this would help me. It has honestly made me feel worthless and I hate myself for doing it.

Well I still believe you will be fine. It's just going to be hard to build that trust.

Like I've said above, there are pharmacists with licenses that have done far worst.

Well I still believe you will be fine. It's just going to be hard to build that trust.

Like I've said above, there are pharmacists with licenses that have done far worst.
How do you build trust with someone you are not going to employ? Trust building takes time, and time is something few employers will offer someone who has a blemished record.

When I was a P3, I lived in an apartment with a pre-pharm student, a drummer and an art student. One of the art students' friends came to a party at our place and smoked opium. I sat all my roommates down and told them: "My future will be destroyed if my name is mentioned in any of the documents related to charges for opium posession. That person cannot come into our apartment anymore." If you don't have the sense to protect the investment of time and money you made over the last 3 years...I don't even know.

How do you build trust with someone you are not going to employ? Trust building takes time, and time is something few employers will offer someone who has a blemished record.

When I was a P3, I lived in an apartment with a pre-pharm student, a drummer and an art student. One of the art students' friends came to a party at our place and smoked opium. I sat all my roommates down and told them: "My future will be destroyed if my name is mentioned in any of the documents related to charges for opium posession. That person cannot come into our apartment anymore." If you don't have the sense to protect the investment of time and money you made over the last 3 years...I don't even know.

Well someone will hire her. So over time if nothing happens she'll show she's more trustworthy or better at not getting caught.

I enjoy looking up people's criminal records so the OP shouldn't be too worried I've seen a lot worse and they are still pharmacists. We're talking forged scripts and selling drugs to pay off gambling debts.

But its wrong and I'd never work with the person.
what is funny is most of that happened after they had a license. I don't think getting a license is the Op's biggest issue - his biggest issue is having trouble getting a job as a retail RPh - they see theft as a bigger issue than many other crimes.

The board of pharmacy will probably give you a pass as long as you are honest with them and inform them in a timely manner.

BMBiology just doesn't pull punches and will tell the truth, even if that truth is harsh. The fact is we are held to a higher standard than your average person, and your state board can deny you a license if they see fit. It may not always be fair, but that is how it is.

Fixed that for you. :)

Thank you! I haven't personally experienced the others, but makes a ton of sense.

The point is that this is inexcusable. Not that the OP cannot overcome this, but the fact that some feel it is acceptable for "someone in their young twenties aka still not a real adult" to shoplift and making excuses for OP is pretty disappointing. Is it really considered being on a moral high horse? We're taught from childhood that stealing is wrong...it's just sad that anyone would try to argue that in OP's situation, he or she is not necessarily expected to act with the maturity level of an adult. We need to be accountable for our actions - if OP is lucky, diligient, or a combination of both, he or she may yet overcome this, but it doesn't change that fact that there is nothing that excuses what he or she did. By any means, it's not necessarily the end for OP, but people should not be excusing his or her actions. I'm believer of people's capacity to change, but the burden of having to show that will be OP's to bear.

People don't start to shoplift when they are in the mid 20s. My bet is this person has stole in the past and he/she finally got caught.

Don't think about lying. When the board of pharmacy finds out, they will not only reject your licensure application request but they will also post the finding on its website so everyone can read about it and charge you the cost of the investigation. Don't believe me? Look it up.

You are held to a much higher standards because you are a pharmacist. It doesn't have to be criminal. There is a moral turpitude clause.

you are such a loser wow. your one of "those" pharmacists who barely gets through the day wondering what they did that day that the board of pharmacy deems wrong. i bet your knees shake when the proair isnt covered and you cant reach the doctor to change to ventolin. i bet your hands tremble when the doctor writes 60g on a cream and you only have 30 g or 45g in stock. again you are clearly a loser. and i personally vouch as someone who marked on their application that yes i have been arrested that it in itself is not a big deal. smarten up

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does the BOP care about academic issues (such as if someone was previously dismissed from another graduate-level health professions program), or just legal ones?

So, in typically internet tradition, I'm forced to ask you...if nobody here has met Adolf Hitler, are we keeping the option open that he may have been a great person who made a mistake?
great way to prove your point. you are up there intellectually. lets compare the person who killed millions of my people with someone who shoplifted. you are a loser

great way to prove your point. you are up there intellectually. lets compare the person who killed millions of my people with someone who shoplifted. you are a loser

Can you please tell me what crimes are ok and which aren't?

Next tell me what's the most important trait you look for in a pharmacist? Obviously knowledge and hard working are important but trust is on top.

There are some things I can look over, but if I can't trust you, I'm not hiring you.

Try googling "Godwin's Law" and notice how I started my post. You seriously need to learn how to internet.

Your way of coping with life's difficulties have caught up with you. Shoplifting is a habit whether you admit it or not. Whatever happens depends on your school and the BOP, but regardless you have to do better than relying on criminal behaviors that will put your professional career in jeopardy.

Make no excuses and admit you made a mistake and show that you're willing to do anything to remedy it. Perhaps the decision makers will give you another chance if they feel you are genuine.

Pharmacy doesn't exactly attract the cream of the crop. Can you imagine a medical student or dental student risking his career prospects and possibly throwing away 8 years of education over obviously stupid ****? And what's up with all this white knighting? Internet forums are powered by aggressive posturing, sanctimony and tut-tutting.

The fact is that OP will probably pay the price for his actions, as it should be. Good luck...

Pharmacy doesn't exactly attract the cream of the crop. Can you imagine a medical student or dental student risking his career prospects and possibly throwing away 8 years of education over obviously stupid ****? And what's up with all this white knighting? Internet forums are powered by aggressive posturing, sanctimony and tut-tutting.

The fact is that OP will probably pay the price for his actions, as it should be. Good luck...
LOL, you think medical or dental students never do stupid stuff?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Just out of curiosity, does the BOP care about academic issues (such as if someone was previously dismissed from another graduate-level health professions program), or just legal ones?
I seem to recall having to check a box asking if you have ever been dismissed from a program before, I can't really recall. I'm sure they are not interested in dismissals for ethical reasons and not academic. Check your local state board's website and find the application form. I can't imagine a license being denied if you obtain a PharmD and pass your exams. The PA stuff has nothing to do with being a pharmacist.

To the OP, you may be able to get your license and IMO you will have a better chance getting a corporate job opposed to an independent job. If the latter performs a background check, they are unlikely to higher a convicted thief. I hope whatever you stole was worth it. Larger companies are more forgiving in regards to convicted drug abusers and misdemeanors/felonies on record. Good luck.

To the OP, you may be able to get your license and IMO you will have a better chance getting a corporate job opposed to an independent job. If the latter performs a background check, they are unlikely to higher a convicted thief. I hope whatever you stole was worth it. Larger companies are more forgiving in regards to convicted drug abusers and misdemeanors/felonies on record. Good luck.
I wont have a conviction on my record. It will show an arrest. I stole a "tester" from sephora. I really wasn't thinking. After 1-2 years i will be able to get it expunged hopefully. It was honestly really dumb and I feel terrible if that makes anyone feel better.

I seem to recall having to check a box asking if you have ever been dismissed from a program before, I can't really recall. I'm sure they are not interested in dismissals for ethical reasons and not academic. Check your local state board's website and find the application form. I can't imagine a license being denied if you obtain a PharmD and pass your exams. The PA stuff has nothing to do with being a pharmacist.

Thanks. I was just wondering, because during my meeting I had with the program director when he kicked me out, he explained that they felt I was unsafe to begin clinicals and have any direct human contact, so I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something that could come back and haunt me....

Hey i just needed some advice. Last week, I made this really stupid decision to shoplift and got caught. It is something that I completely regret and I have learned my lesson. I contacted a lawyer and so far I will be enrolled in a diversion program that consists of community service and taking a class. Once this is completed, according to the lawyer, this will be off of my record. Yet, I will still have an arrest on my record. I will not be able to get this expunged for a year or two. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not this will show up on a background check for APPEs/ rotations or if maybe I will get kicked out of school? Also, I was wondering if an arrest for shoplifting will show up on a background check for jobs and if this will effect by chances of getting a job. Thank you in advance.
Well i will never take a chance with you. Very poor judgement . How many times have you stolen and never get caught? As a pharmacist you will be in charge of all narcotics in the pharmacy.

So true. Someone in their mid 20 who shoflited probably has done it multiple times. You dont just learn to steal randomly like that. The op must have become comfortable with stealing and thought it was ok to steal

I wont have a conviction on my record. It will show an arrest. I stole a "tester" from sephora. I really wasn't thinking. After 1-2 years i will be able to get it expunged hopefully. It was honestly really dumb and I feel terrible if that makes anyone feel better.
All that for "tester" from sephora?? Is it really worth risking your career over stupid tester, OP??? Sometime i would be scared to voice my opinion over something never know who records it and where it ends up.I can't imagine being in your shoes right now. Hope you get it sorted out.. Good luck!

Seriously. At least go for an unopened one.
lol.. unopened or opened, one should NEVER steal!! I know there are many cases like Op's or even worse, makes me loose respect for pharmacist..

Last edited:
So true. Someone in their mid 20 who shoflited probably has done it multiple times. You dont just learn to steal randomly like that. The op must have become comfortable with stealing and thought it was ok to steal

Yup, I worked with a coupe of techs who stole things. One was caught on camera stealing from the cash register. They both wanted to go to pharmacy school. With today's easy admission standards, I am sure one of them would have gotten in even with her crappy grades.

Who knows what else she was stealing? Pharmacy schools are doing these people a disfavor and our profession a disfavor by not doing a background check. Even if the board of pharmacy grant them a license, they may not be able to do certain rotations. If I were a preceptor, no way I would accept some random student with a criminal record. The job market is also saturated. Employers have many applicants to choose from. Each applicant needs to disclose it on the application before they are granted an interview. This alone is a big red flag.

People who steal always have a rational reason. They think they can get away with it. Maybe once or twice but soon, it will catch up to them.

So go ahead and do something stupid like stealing. You may go thru 4 years of pharmacy school, become license but end up unemployable.

Avoid any rotations at the VA if you can.

My coresident had an old arrest on record that came up on her background check and it took forever to get clearance

What was the arrest for?

you are such a loser wow. your one of "those" pharmacists who barely gets through the day wondering what they did that day that the board of pharmacy deems wrong. i bet your knees shake when the proair isnt covered and you cant reach the doctor to change to ventolin. i bet your hands tremble when the doctor writes 60g on a cream and you only have 30 g or 60g in stock. again you are clearly a loser. and i personally vouch as someone who marked on their application that yes i have been arrested that it in itself is not a big deal. smarten up

You're......it's you're.

Pharmacy doesn't exactly attract the cream of the crop. Can you imagine a medical student or dental student risking his career prospects and possibly throwing away 8 years of education over obviously stupid ****?

Well, since its been in the news, ya I can:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/med-student-ipad-theft_n_5948500.html

I'm not a psychiatrist, but ya, it seems like there is something psychologically wrong that causes kleptomania, and it is has nothing to do with intelligence.

Well, since its been in the news, ya I can:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/med-student-ipad-theft_n_5948500.html

I'm not a psychiatrist, but ya, it seems like there is something psychologically wrong that causes kleptomania, and it is has nothing to do with intelligence.

Let's not read limited stories on it and start labeling everybody that steals mentally ill. More often than not, it's just a dumb decision. And in the OP's case, it seems to be an isolated case. Some people just seem to be assuming he does it on a frequent basis with no evidence to support it.