Arrested after acceptance. DUI case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whey54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be okay!! Honestly I think people make mistakes all the time , I don't think they will rethink on accepting you into school. I would go the full extent of getting it handled. Also don't mention it to the school just yet ! wait until you here from your lawyer because this could be cleared if it was not that major! but being that you got pulled over if they took you to jail then yes you will have a DUI on your record and I think it takes about 10 years to get those cleared off. So get you a lawyer !! You will be okay !! and CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!
- RKC

I have no sympathy for people who drink and drive.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you might get through school but not through the dental board.. prolly it is either they will give you a hard time to give you a practice license or they won't give you one at all.. If they won't give you a license, you will need a lot of lobbying and letters to get it..

I think more important than that, is the fact that you could have killed someone, or yourself..

The dental board will give me a hard time if I am convicted? What if I am not, or if I get a lesser misdemeanor charge? I understand that my poor judgement could've resulted in a worse outcome, for me or anyone else. Although I was slightly above the legal limit and I felt in control, I know driving and having drunk earlier that night was a really poor decision.

I think you will be fine if you are not convicted. Do not lie about it with your school, be honest, your school is the side you don't want to lose. Check with either the board or your vice dean of student affairs.

goodluck

Our classmate had a DUI record and still graduated and got his license. But then we're in Canada.

You will be able to get a dental license. Also I doubt you will ever get it off your record. This is to prevent you from doing it again.

Last edited:
You will be able to get a dental license. There are tons of physicians and dentists with DUIs. Just be forthcoming about it and do not ever do it again. If you do it again all bets are off. Also I doubt you will ever get it off your record. This is to prevent you from doing it again.
You are jumping the gun until you know what the outcome of the case is. If your lawyer can make this go away with either community service or some other such court prescribed remedy, the case could be dismissed, and then you can pay your lawyer to have the entire thing expunged. Without an expungement you will always have to answer for being arrested, no matter what the disposition of the case is. Talk to your lawyer, examine your options, and move forward. At this moment, in the eyes of the court you are still innocent, so there is no need to inform your school.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of doctors with DUI on their record, but they were already licensed when this happened to them. State boards look more harshly on those applying for an initial license.

You are jumping the gun until you know what the outcome of the case is. If your lawyer can make this go away with either community service or some other such court prescribed remedy, the case could be dismissed, and then you can pay your lawyer to have the entire thing expunged. Without an expungement you will always have to answer for being arrested, no matter what the disposition of the case is. Talk to your lawyer, examine your options, and move forward. At this moment, in the eyes of the court you are still innocent, so there is no need to inform your school.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of doctors with DUI on their record, but they were already licensed when this happened to them. State boards look more harshly on those applying for an initial license.
My classmate applied for his dental license with a dui on his record. Got it no problem.

1) Don't drink anymore
2) Disclose this or the school can drop you
3) Don't drink anymore

Reactions: 1 user
Don't drink and drive anymore. FTFY
At the point that you have driven drunk you have given up moral claim to freedom to drink... if OP ever touches alcohol again, they deserve what comes to them

Reactions: 1 user
i would not keep quiet about it. being honest and upfront, shows that you regret it and full take responsibility. well, if questioned of course. just my 2 cents.

dui record has no expiration date

Yes, I do plan to fully disclose everything once I find out what I am facing at my arraignment date.

Just FYI...
When you submitted your AADSAS application, you had to agree to the ADEA AADSAS Release Statement and Code of Conduct, which includes the following:

I acknowledge my responsibility to inform the programs/schools to which I have applied in the event there is any change in the information I have provided, including, but not limited to, educational information, legal and conduct violations and contact information and in a timely manner. Programs/schools will consider new information submitted and, in appropriate circumstances, reserve the right to change the status of an applicant or student.​

It makes sense to wait until you know what you are being charged with, but I wouldn't wait much longer if I were you... Note that "and in a timely manner" part.

(TMDSAS has the same provision, for anyone wondering.)

You are entering a profession in which you help people...not kill them. Stop being an complete wanker and grow up. Regardless of the outcome, I hope you learn from this mistake.