As a % more BioChem majors get in than anyone else ? why ? why not Bio Majors ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aNewManEveryDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is BioChemistry the degree that is most often accepted to med school. I realize there is a biochem class in med school but I would think Biology majors would have a better chance of being better med students. As a biology major I could essentially take all the Anatomy and Phys classes as an undergrad that I will encounter in med school. Phy of Repo, Animal Phys, Neuro Phys, Respiration Phy, Cardiology Phys are offered at my undergrad school as well as a whole ton of anatomy.

I just want to know why BioChem majors are accepted at a higher rate than anyone else .... ideas ?

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty sre that History and Philosophy majors have the highest acceptance rate, where did you get the info?

Most biochem majors are also URMS. How many white or asian biochem majors do you know? Not many I bet. How many black or hispanic biochem majors do you know? Personally I know at least 20 URM biochem majors, and only perhaps 2 or 3 non URM ones. I have asked various friends at several different schools about this phenomena and they have all noticed a similar ratio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though biochem has a higher rate than bio and chem majors, I am pretty sure there are many other majors that have a higher acceptance rate than biochem. The highest I believe is biomedical engineering, followed by others like history, econ, and other types of engineering, although the sample size of these last majors is quite low.

MEG@COOL said:
Most biochem majors are also URMS. How many white or asian biochem majors do you know? Not many I bet. How many black or hispanic biochem majors do you know? Personally I know at least 20 URM biochem majors, and only perhaps 2 or 3 non URM ones. I have asked various friends at several different schools about this phenomena and they have all noticed a similar ratio.

Really? I've never really known that. Why do you think that is? What makes being a biochem major so much different than bio or chem...such that URMs pick biochem instead of the other two? Just curious.

aNewManEveryDay said:
Why is BioChemistry the degree that is most often accepted to med school. I realize there is a biochem class in med school but I would think Biology majors would have a better chance of being better med students. As a biology major I could essentially take all the Anatomy and Phys classes as an undergrad that I will encounter in med school. Phy of Repo, Animal Phys, Neuro Phys, Respiration Phy, Cardiology Phys are offered at my undergrad school as well as a whole ton of anatomy.

I just want to know why BioChem majors are accepted at a higher rate than anyone else .... ideas ?

Where are your statistics coming from -- that biochem is the most prevalently accepted major? And is this a present day statistic (i.e. in recent years med schools have sought out educationally more rounded (i.e. not strictly science majors) individuals). If the statistic is true, I would just tend to assume that more individuals who do biochem have stronger research backgrounds as well, not that the major itself was the distinctive factor. But I somewhat doubt your premise.

What the heck is a URM ? A minority what ?

striped sweater said:
not according to aamc:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/mcatgpabymaj1.htm

biological sciences are highest. history would make no sense at all.

NO, biological sciences have the most students accepted. What we are discussing is percentage accepted from a major. I think History, Bioengineering, and Phil have the highest acceptance rate (highest percentage accepted from those who applied). This could be read to infer that being a history or phil major gives and advantage, or could be infered as that because the majority of applicants are bio sciences majors, a smaller percent of them get in (as almost all bio majors are premed). Anyhow, we're talking about acceptance rates not numbers.

I sure didn't see the URM thing at my school, which has a large hispanic population relatively. I remember only a single minority among the 12 or so biochem majors at my school and she was asian. I think that biochem majors have a higher acceptance rate simply because, at my school anyway, it is far mor academically rigorous than bio. Our bio major seemed to be a staging ground for pre-meds who didn't like or couldn't handle the more demanding sciences. Of course there were exceptions, but that's my 2c.

*ducks to avoid potential flame*

-dope-

Alexander Pink said:
NO, biological sciences have the most students accepted. What we are discussing is percentage accepted from a major. I think History, Bioengineering, and Phil have the highest acceptance rate (highest percentage accepted from those who applied). This could be read to infer that being a history or phil major gives and advantage, or could be infered as that because the majority of applicants are bio sciences majors, a smaller percent of them get in (as almost all bio majors are premed). Anyhow, we're talking about acceptance rates not numbers.

oh, i see.well if you are looking at it THAT way, i think it is because so few history or philosophy majors are actually geared toward medical school in the first place so any who do apply would probably be doing so because they have a particularly strong bent, else they wouldn't even bother. (unlike bio peeps who, as you said, are mainly premed; thus many "wishful thinkers" will apply along with the stars.) interesting to think about, though.

striped sweater said:
history would make no sense at all.

Uh, why? Makes sense to me. They took the pre-med requirements and presumably did at least okay in them, and they have a well-rounded education. And since nearly everybody in biology applies to med school, while only the cream of the crop in liberal arts applies to med school, you would expect the liberal arts folks to have a higher acceptance rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
tharealest said:
Those are MCAT scores vs. Major. There is another document where it has accepted % vs. major...someone here probably has it bookmarked.

true, but as the top chart shows applicants and the bottom chart shows matriculants, you could figure out the percentages that way from the different majors. at least until you find the other doc.

sacrament said:
Uh, why? Makes sense to me. They took the pre-med requirements and presumably did at least okay in them, and they have a well-rounded education. And since nearly everybody in biology applies to med school, while only the cream of the crop in liberal arts applies to med school, you would expect the liberal arts folks to have a higher acceptance rate.

what i meant was (in light of my misinterpretation of the question in the first place) that it made no sense that most matriculants would have been history majors, thinking that most history majors would be seeking other careers. i totally agree with what you have said here.

aNewManEveryDay said:
Biochemists are smarter

MEG@COOL said:

I dunno bout that, at Yale it seems that all the biochem majors are white or asian.....and mostly asian. The biochem major is a lot harder than the bio major here, lot more upper level requirements and hard courses like pchem and multivariable calculus and bio physics......

Biology Majors Suck
Biochem Rules

aNewManEveryDay said:
Why is BioChemistry the degree that is most often accepted to med school?

'most often accepted', hmmm...doesn't that sound more like an overall quantity question than a rate of acceptance for applicants majoring in biochem?

Anywho...the schools I looked at, the majority of medical students majored in Biology.

I think a biochem major would prepare you better than just a Biology major for the MCAT and medical school.

Here the matriculation percentages from the MCAT/GPA by major document:

Math and Stats 58%
Allied Health 34%
Bio 46%
Humanities 53%
Physical sciences 50%
Social Sciences 49%
Other 42%

aNewManEveryDay said:

Your major has NO affect on whether you can get admitted to med school or not. Your observation is probably based on the fact that many people who know they want to go into medicine major in biochem because they feel it will help to prepare them. Therefore, a larger % of the biochem students are applying to med school than other majors. That is it.

Major in the area that you are interested because it has NO affect on your ability to get in. The only thing that is important is that you took the prereqs and got good grades in them. Of course other things like MCAT, experience, etc are important too, but those have nothing to do with your major.

hardy said:

Math and Stats 58%
Allied Health 34%
Bio 46%
Humanities 53%
Physical sciences 50%
Social Sciences 49%
Other 42%

So MATH and STATS have the highest rate of acceptance......

Nice because I was considering math as my major...

Does Biochem go under bio or physical science?

RangerD said:
Your major has NO affect on whether you can get admitted to med school or not. Your observation is probably based on the fact that many people who know they want to go into medicine major in biochem because they feel it will help to prepare them. Therefore, a larger % of the biochem students are applying to med school than other majors. That is it.

Major in the area that you are interested because it has NO affect on your ability to get in. The only thing that is important is that you took the prereqs and got good grades in them. Of course other things like MCAT, experience, etc are important too, but those have nothing to do with your major.

:thumbup:

I'm not sure if everyone realizes this, but the OP was just banned for starting all of these crazy posts. So why do people keep replying to his threads? :confused: :confused:

hardy said:

Math and Stats 58%
Allied Health 34%
Bio 46%
Humanities 53%
Physical sciences 50%
Social Sciences 49%
Other 42%

Let's not forget that within the social science matriculation rate posted above, psychology scores below that average, while sociology and political science score above that average. Psychology majors are accepted at rates similar to general biology, which has acceptance rates lower than the average bio (which is comprised of biochem, mol bio, cell bio, etc.)
The worst of all majors is general pre-med - the acceptance rate is low, and the degree is of low value (it's the American Studies of the sciences - it sucks big time)

docjolly said:
:thumbup:

I'm not sure if everyone realizes this, but the OP was just banned for starting all of these crazy posts. So why do people keep replying to his threads? :confused: :confused:

As long as the original question is valid, I see no point in avoiding the thread if it raises a legitimate question.

Alexander Pink said:

You beat me to the punch! But because I am such a dork I actually took the time to caculate the rates using the info given in the AAMC link. Here are the rates listed in decending order:

Major: (#Applied/#Accept/%of applicants accepted)

1) Math &Statistics:251,146,58.2%
2) Humanities:1368,727,53.1%
3) Physical Sciences:4197,2120,50.5%
4) Biological Sciences:20577,9523,46.3%
5) Social Sciences:3989,1959,49.1%
6) Other:4219,1784,42.3
7) Health Sciences:1134,389,34.3%

So as you can clearly see above, MATH MAJORS REIGN SUPREME!!! hooray :D

EDIT: oops! too late again! sorry to repost what someone already covered. (but seriously, major in what you like. You do better and have more fun that way. Plus its not as if there arent a TON of people in every major getting in.)

ellia08 said:
You beat me to the punch! But because I am such a dork I actually took the time to caculate the rates using the info given in the AAMC link. Here are the rates listed in decending order:

Major: (#Applied/#Accept/%of applicants accepted)

1) Math &Statistics:251,146,58.2%
2) Humanities:1368,727,53.1%
3) Physical Sciences:4197,2120,50.5%
4) Biological Sciences:20577,9523,46.3%
5) Social Sciences:3989,1959,49.1%
6) Other:4219,1784,42.3
7) Health Sciences:1134,389,34.3%

So as you can clearly see above, MATH MAJORS REIGN SUPREME!!! hooray :D

EDIT: oops! too late again! sorry to repost what someone already covered.

so this means there will be a lot of math majors in med school? awesome :love:

by the way ellia, i am in love w/ a guy who's a math grad student at your school. :laugh:

funshine said:
so this means there will be a lot of math majors in med school? awesome :love:

by the way ellia, i am in love w/ a guy who's a math grad student at your school. :laugh:

:) Really! I would ask who but.... hang on.... you wouldnt happen to be in mich medical school? Did I meet you in the brown jug last spring? I was studying for a final with K-----?

ellia08 said:
:) Really! I would ask who but.... hang on.... you wouldnt happen to be in mich medical school? Did I meet you in the brown jug last spring? I was studying for a final with Krastio?

haha, no, i'm still an undergrad. Yeah, I WISH i was in at umich med school though ;)

You will be soon. I have no doubts. Are you applying this year? majoring in math? Im in my LAST math course to complete my major, have been accepted to med school (at u of m, couldnt be happier) and am taking my very first poetry course. It is WONDERFULL! (though I may well turn out to be a lousy poet! :))

SanDiegoSOD said:
As long as the original question is valid, I see no point in avoiding the thread if it raises a legitimate question.

Well, point taken. Proceed.... :D

ellia08 said:
You will be soon. I have no doubts. Are you applying this year? majoring in math? Im in my LAST math course to complete my major, have been accepted to med school (at u of m, couldnt be happier) and am taking my very first poetry course. It is WONDERFULL! (though I may well turn out to be a lousy poet! :))

=). I'm Molbio. Not smart enough to be a math major. You ppl are brilliant.
The guy I am talking about happens to love Russian Lit and plays the viola. Mmm, Jewish, tall lanky , brown hair and glasses. Adorably poetic looking.

Sound familiar? :D

MEG@COOL said:
Negatory. I go to a very diverse school, and I can't think of more than two or three URMs in any of my upper-level chemistry or biology classes (which are usually 80-100+ people). Most of the blacks I see are in the humanities/business schools.

MEG@COOL said:

THis is the most inaccurate generalization I have seen posted on the boards in a awhile. At UW-Madison (A top ten in Biochem), majority of students are caucasian, asian minority, and very few african american and hispanic students. I think most people will agree that biochem majors have a decent acceptance percentage because the classes emphasize critical thinking and not memorization like most biology classes. Furthermore, to say that biochem majors are accepted because they tend to be minorities is highly insensitive.

GOBUCKY!

GOBUCKY! said:
THis is the most inaccurate generalization I have seen posted on the boards in a awhile. At UW-Madison (A top ten in Biochem), majority of students are caucasian, asian minority, and very few african american and hispanic students. I think most people will agree that biochem majors have a decent acceptance percentage because the classes emphasize critical thinking and not memorization like most biology classes. Furthermore, to say that biochem majors are accepted because they tend to be minorities is highly insensitive.

GOBUCKY!

not very sharp today, are we... look who posted that reply. It is not meant to be taken seriously.

GOBUCKY! said:
At UW-Madison (A top ten in Biochem)GOBUCKY!
Rankings are based on grad reputation, research reputation, and funding. This in no way represents the undergraduate education, nor does the undergraduate class reflect the graduate program class. In fact, Wisconsin specifically does not accept students from its own program.

Just thought i'd point out that biochem is about 3x as hard as general bio major....at least here.

Is Biomedical Engineering considered a biological science, a health science, or physical science?

I'm curious about the Engineering statistics in general... they might just be lumped in a tiny corner under 'Other'.

GOBUCKY! said:
At UW-Madison (A top ten in Biochem), majority of students are caucasian, asian minority, and very few african american and hispanic students.
You also don't have hardly any blacks or hispanics there at that lily-white school anyways. I'm at your much darker sister school. ;)

It's probably because biochem majors have to take p. chem....If you can make it through p. chem, you can do anything

Biochemist is like a person who can do biology but ACTUALLY HAS A BRAIN insteading of spitting out garbadge.

skoaner said:
Rankings are based on grad reputation, research reputation, and funding. This in no way represents the undergraduate education, nor does the undergraduate class reflect the graduate program class. In fact, Wisconsin specifically does not accept students from its own program.

THat's because the majority of the best Biochem students are pre-med and the rest of the best end up at better universities. THere is not much left after that.

TheProwler said:
You also don't have hardly any blacks or hispanics there at that lily-white school anyways. I'm at your much darker sister school. ;)

That's true, but I was speaking relatively in comparison to our minority population. Very small percentage enters the sciences. The majority are in business and humanities.