As a non-trad med student, what was the most difficult thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But the rewards when you come out on the other side are great.

Im still years away from even matriculating ( 3 1/2 if it actually comes to fruition), but this is definitely what I like to keep solidified directly in the frontal lobes. :)

Members don't see this ad.

From the perspective of a younger classmate, I don't want to hang out socially with older guys that don't have a PhD or something cool to add to the conversation.

However, in class and such, I treat people equally, so unless your goal of going to med school is to socialize with younger people, I suspect that many of your future classmates would treat you with the same respect in-class.

Wait, am I the only one who thought this was kind of ridiculous? A PhD gives you more to add to a conversation than pursuing other careers, having major life experiences outside of academia?

Also, I won't matriculate until this fall, but coming from a mid-20s nontrad who has dear friends over twice his age, and whose trad friends in med school are relatively close with their nontrad classmates, I think you'll find this is not the norm.

Wait, am I the only one who thought this was kind of ridiculous? A PhD gives you more to add to a conversation than pursuing other careers, having major life experiences outside of academia?

Also, I won't matriculate until this fall, but coming from a mid-20s nontrad who has dear friends over twice his age, and whose trad friends in med school are relatively close with their nontrad classmates, I think you'll find this is not the norm.

:thumbup: Agreed. Having a PhD does not make you a more interesting or stimulating person.

I also have scale back from being jealous of my classmates free time. When I hear one complaining about how stressed about studying they are, or how they don't have time, etc.--I just want to say "Try studying with kids screaming and crying." Or "try studying when your kid's principal calls for a meeting" or "try studying when your wife is pissed about you studying (while she is handling everything)-so you have to stop and help so she wont be so pissed." or "try studying when your kid needs to learn how to spell."- On and on and on...
This is wonderful perspective. Thanks for keeping it real, CATrtb!

I am a non-trad -- not yet started medical school - but so far have gotten acceptances from two schools! Yay!

So far the hardest thing for me as a non-trad applicant (besides going back and studying for the MCAT) has been to really sincerely solidify my answer to the question "Why do you want to switch your career to medicine, at this time in your life" . You will be asked this over and over again. Make sure you believe your own answer and can communicate it effectively.

One of the most difficult things in this decision was to tell my colleagues and mentors in my current career (I am a well-published Ph.D.- research scientist, and am 38 - will graduate when I am 42!) that I want to change careers. This was really difficult to explain. But in the midst of it all, I've grown closer to many of my colleagues and more often than not I have been encouraged to pursue my dream (even though they don't want me to leave our shared research field), and have noted my courage. This has been rewarding.

Hopefully actual medical school, and actually being a physician will be just as rewarding!