As a non-trad, what's a truly valid reason for wanting to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alphadorian

Pre-Med, Non Trad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read the article below, which presents some realistic reasons why you shouldn't go to medical school. It obviously wasn't for this person, but the points he made are very worth considering.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinazir/2005/05/23/why-you-should-not-go-to-medical-school-a-gleefully-biased-rant/

In the end he concludes that the only valid reason for going to medical school is 'all you've ever wanted to do in life was become a doctor and the only way you'll find fulfillment personally and professionally is to help sick people get better.'

I'd say that's on target. The trouble is that as a non-trad it's difficult to make that case since I obviously have had other things to do for the last 10 years.

What's your reason for wanting to be a doctor after you've spent a significant amount of time focusing on other things?

I've been thinking about this a lot. I want to be sure my motivations aren't shallow and aren't fleeting. Below is the first time I've really articulated how I ended up on the path I'm on. Feel free to criticize my particular post.

I started out my professional life working in computer-related fields. I've found that my mind works well deducing the root cause of problems with computer hardware and software as well as debugging code that won't compile. My hobbies historically have centered around applying concepts of logic and troubleshooting, such as rebuilding engines in old cars.

The years went by and I saw family members die from diseases such as cancer and heart disease. My professional life eventually led me to work with doctors and office staff on EDI issues. At a convention a few years back an older doctor asked me what I'd be doing in five years. My dad had passed away from lung cancer six months prior to this convention and I'd been considering where my life was going and what I felt would be most life affirming. The only answer I could give him at the time was "probably this convention." He asked me "Why don't you consider becoming a doctor?"

We talked for a while about his life experiences and I knew I'd never be the same. Over the next few months I looked at various medical professions and decided that I would only be satisfied professionally and personally in a leadership role in patient care. (Note - I've worked 10 years for a health care insurance company, so I'm very aware of regulatory and contractual restrictions on what you can and can't do in patient care...)

I have been volunteering with a local hospice provider as a companion and patient advocate for hospice patients. I've seen the struggles and frustrations nurses and aides go through caring for these patients as well as the issues that face the patients. My role often requires me to explain the amount and type of pain our patients are going through so that medication can be adjusted accordingly. Each encounter my desire to do whatever I can to help our patients burns inside me.

Members don't see this ad.

I have two motivations for medical school, one of which directly answers the question below. The "other thing" I focused on were working in biotech and I've reached the pinnacle of my career without a medical degree. For further career advancement within biotech I need a medical degree (ideally).

My other motivation, as cliche as it sounds, is that helping people (kids in particular) has always appealed to me (I taught in the inner-city in Baltimore for a while). I do feel that I can make a difference and would love to be the town pediatrician.

Either way it's a win-win.

One more point where I'm less sure is that I've always wanted to serve in the military and I think the role of military doctor is a good role within the armed services.

What's your reason for wanting to be a doctor after you've spent a significant amount of time focusing on other things?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't buy into the BS.

It can be as simple as, I enjoy working with people and think medicine is cool.

There are fancy reasons and there are sincere reasons. Many like fancy reasons, but in the real world you realize that it isn't the fancy that gets the job done.

I'd say I'm on somewhere on the spectrum of ideas towards Draper. With the caveat that I've worked so many little jobs. Many of them in health care. Thought a lot about what kind of work I'm cut out for and thatould make me a decent living. And medcine is the only thing worthwhile that I could come up with that suits my tendencies and predilections. Only one of which is the enjoyment of working with people and for the benefit of people.

This is not a calling. As a preacher would be called to Jesus. But an extensive process of elimination. Doesn't make for a good revival. No fire and brimstone. But it is true. I couldn't see myself doing anything else. And despite the efforts and stress and price tag. I'm happy to have my seat on the bus.

I think if I was an adcom I would expect to hear sincerity and thought and insight about the match for applicant to career in a nontrad. Whereas if I was listening to a young person I would hear wah-wah-wah and just use my intuition to sense there personality and potential to work well with others.

My younger classmates are very bright and talented and no doubt have the potential to be outstanding physicians. But their conception of what they're getting into is funny. There still thinking about what I was thinking about when I was 20. Girls and beer and football and adventure and whatever else...it's been too long for me to remember.

They have no idea about bills, and no insurance, and dead end jobs, and sickness and mortality, the toils upon toils to come.

So I would just be real. Keep it straight forward and honest. If you're truly one of those called down to the river to save souls then by all means...communicate that. If it's just a grown person's calculus of what would make a good career...fine...communicate that. Effectively in either case. As best you can.