As a resident- what to read besides tintinelli and rosen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys read besides the big books for reviews of EM specific topics? My program goes over chapters of tintinelli but I just don't retain as much as I would like. My brain doesn't work well with thick textbooks anymore. I'd prefer something akin to a review book we had as medical students, where theres quick high yield points and some clinical pearls.

Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Intensive Review for the Emergency Medicine Qualifying Exam has bullets.
Last Minute Emergency Medicine.
You could also get articles from the Clinics of North America series.

I read Tintinalli's Just the Facts as an intern. The ICU book or The Little ICU book. Bounce backs. Amal Mattu's EKG books (there are 2). Hippo EM. EM:RAP. Avoiding common errors in Emergency Medicine. Any ACEP Clinical Policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always liked EBMedicine. There's some society (?EMRA) in residency that gives you access if you're a member. It's an evidence based breakdown of an aspect of EM care that you can blow through in 15-20 minutes. Mattu's ECG book mentioned by Times is called ECG's for the Emergency Physician. Solid also.

I love all the suggestions above.

One thing an attending told me was to pull one up to date article on a patient you saw that shift and read it. Was a great source for me.

I read Tintinalli's Just the Facts as an intern. The ICU book or The Little ICU book. Bounce backs. Amal Mattu's EKG books (there are 2). Hippo EM. EM:RAP. Avoiding common errors in Emergency Medicine. Any ACEP Clinical Policy.

Is Hippo mostly video based, or is the content available for mp3 download? I'll subscribe if I can use it on the commute.

Is Hippo mostly video based, or is the content available for mp3 download? I'll subscribe if I can use it on the commute.

It's all video based, but a lot of the actual video is superfluous. I listen to it on my drive/at the gym/working on the lawn.

They have a 1 or 2 day free trial you can check out.

I have no ties to HIPPO:EM, just really like the product - used it to study for inservice and did really well.

My brain doesn't work well with thick textbooks anymore. I'd prefer something akin to a review book we had as medical students, where theres quick high yield points and some clinical pearls.

Two suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Americ...ds=pocket+guide+emergency+medicine+in+service
Geared toward the inservice exam; bullet pointed, basic treatment. Meant as a study guide, not a clinical reference.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Emerge...ds=pocket+guide+emergency+medicine+in+service
A little more in-depth (has drug dosing info, etc), still fits in your pocket. Meant as a clinical reference, not a study guide.

It's all video based, but a lot of the actual video is superfluous. I listen to it on my drive/at the gym/working on the lawn.

They have a 1 or 2 day free trial you can check out.

I have no ties to HIPPO:EM, just really like the product - used it to study for inservice and did really well.

Sounds reasonable. Yeah, they have a 4 hour free trial, which I will do when I have 4 free, continuous, hours. For clarification: Are you able to download and play content, or is it streaming only? Running video will drain my permanent, not large enough capacity phone battery and streaming video will burn my not unlimited high speed data. :sad face emoticon:

Edit: I typed the words sad face emoticon with leading and trailing colons. I guess colon-s is an emoticon.

Sounds reasonable. Yeah, they have a 4 hour free trial, which I will do when I have 4 free, continuous, hours. For clarification: Are you able to download and play content, or is it streaming only? Running video will drain my permanent, not large enough capacity phone battery and streaming video will burn my not unlimited high speed data. :sad face emoticon:

Edit: I typed the words sad face emoticon with leading and trailing colons. I guess colon-s is an emoticon.

As far as I know, it's only streaming...or at least that's all I've done. I just plug my phone into my car charger on the way to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great suggestions everyone I appreciate it. And ooops I misspelled tintinalli

I have Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine Manual (the small pocket version of Tintinalli's), a review for Just the Facts states that it is essentially identical, anyone know if this is true?

I have Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine Manual (the small pocket version of Tintinalli's), a review for Just the Facts states that it is essentially identical, anyone know if this is true?

Is the Manual version riddled with what seem to be chapter author's opinions, odd approaches to topics like cardiac arrest, and inaccuracies regarding effective treatments for common EM diagnoses? I am unimpressed with Just the Facts so far.

You can download all of the hippo videos

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just got turned on to HippoEM and I'm really liking it right now. Mostly just general knowledge acquisition as an intern and in-service prep right now, but its good so far.

I always liked EBMedicine. There's some society (?EMRA) in residency that gives you access if you're a member. It's an evidence based breakdown of an aspect of EM care that you can blow through in 15-20 minutes. Mattu's ECG book mentioned by Times is called ECG's for the Emergency Physician. Solid also.

Co-sign on EBMedicine, great publication, and focused usually on high-yield stuff. Critical Decisions in EM is a similar CME-but-good-for-interns publication by ACEP which is free for residents. Hippo EM has a special through EMRA that is hard to beat - like $150/year or something like that. I have read like 15 pagest of Tintinalli tops, fwiw.

Bouncebacks and Avoiding Common Errors In EM are must reads. I would pick one EM text book and use that. My favorite is the Expert Consult EM text. If you like things in bullet points rather than prose the guys at Intraining/LLSA prep have an EM textbook out using this format. If you don't pick that one you should pick one board review style.book.to prep for your intraining exam and written boards.

I would second Birdstrike's caution about using Rosen now that he has decided to make a buck suing EPs. It makes no sense to feed the hand that bites you.

Co-sign on EBMedicine, great publication, and focused usually on high-yield stuff. Critical Decisions in EM is a similar CME-but-good-for-interns publication by ACEP which is free for residents. Hippo EM has a special through EMRA that is hard to beat - like $150/year or something like that. I have read like 15 pagest of Tintinalli tops, fwiw.

Is Critical decisions free for residents? Can anyone corroborate this ? Thanks.