As an HPSP applicant, at what point in the process am I actually committed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid set of questions, but here it goes. As the title states, I'm applying for the HPSP this year. After doing some more research and a bit of soul searching, I'm having doubts as to whether I even want to do this anymore. So where is the point of no return for me? When am I actually committed to the program? Do I sign my name on some dotted line after getting accepted to the program and a medical school? Or am I already obligated to follow through with my application after having submitted it to my recruiter?

I ask because I'd like to know if/when I can withdraw my application. As I said, I've submitted it to my recruiter, but that's all I've done so far. I haven't been accepted into any medical school yet, and I haven't been awarded the scholarship either.

Also, what would be the proper etiquette for withdrawing? Do I just send my recruiter an email saying "I am withdrawing my application."?

Members don't see this ad.

You are only committed after signing your contract and taking your oath (although the "real" commitment begins when you start taking money). At this point your email would be fine.

Thanks for the responses.