Asda Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Be positive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Q.A mouth rinse contains 0.05%F ion.which of the following represents the concentration expressed as ppm F ion?

A.5
B.50
C.500
D.5000

Q.Which one of the following explains why the digestive action of salivary amylase continues for some time after swallowing?
A.gasric hcl increases the digestive action of amylase
B.gasric mucin lubricates the bolus n assists amylase activity
C.the amylase inside the bolus is protected from the inactivating action of gastric hcl
D.water absorption by stomach concentrates amylase n makes its action more effective
E.contractions of the stomach distribute amylase more evenly throughout the bolus

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
)The facial surfaces of mand molars compared with the anterior border of the ascending ramus are located
a)medial to the border
b)lateral to the border
c)continuous with the border

i saw this q in another thread..and someone said ans is option a..pls can someone confirm.

Rose, based on several asda papers, that answer is correct.

hey be positive,
I think the answer for that is the left lateral non-workin. Since the mesiolingual movement is shown in the diagram, it would be the non workin. I hope it helps.

Thank u,I too thought the same answer.
onemore Q

lingual height of contour of mandibular 2nd premolar.............

Thank u,I too thought the same answer.
onemore Q

lingual height of contour of mandibular 2nd premolar.............

All posterior teeth have their lingual high of contour at the middle third based on my NBDE first aid book. The rest, meaning all facial highs and lingual highs of anterior teeth are in the cervical third. Please let me know if other sources do not match up to this!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All posterior teeth have their lingual high of contour at the middle third based on my NBDE first aid book. The rest, meaning all facial highs and lingual highs of anterior teeth are in the cervical third. Please let me know if other sources do not match up to this!

Thank you.spazzingpreDMD.
I know this concept,bt in the asda packet-M the key says occlusal third thats why I posted this for conformation.

Thank you.spazzingpreDMD.
I know this concept,bt in the asda packet-M the key says occlusal third thats why I posted this for conformation.

you know, i just went through some of my friend's old boards notes that were written by their professors and this is what it says:

Heights of Contour and the CEJ:
Facial heights of contour are most prominent on mandibular posterior teeth. They are least prominent on mandibular anterior teeth.

All teeth have facial heights of contour in the cervical third, except for mandibular molars (which have facial heights of contour at the junction of the cervical and middle thirds).

Anterior teeth have lingual heights contour in the cervical third of the crown. Posterior teeth have lingual heights contour in the middle third of the crown EXCEPT for the mandibular second pre-molar (which has a lingual height of contour in the occlusal third).

I just found this now, sorry I didn't share it sooner. Besides, the theory is ALWAYS GO BY WHAT THE OLD BOARD QUESTIONS SAY so if thats what the M papers say, then it must be true (in NBDE world).

OH and by the way, N papers say that the mandibular second premolar is also frequently congenitally missing, which I didn't know till I did the N papers! (I was looking for maxillary laterals and it wasn't an option!!!)

you know, i just went through some of my friend's old boards notes that were written by their professors and this is what it says:

Facial heights of contour are most prominent on mandibular posterior teeth. They are least prominent on mandibular anterior teeth.

All teeth have facial heights of contour in the cervical third, except for mandibular molars (which have facial heights of contour at the junction of the cervical and middle thirds).

Anterior teeth have lingual heights contour in the cervical third of the crown. Posterior teeth have lingual heights contour in the middle third of the crown EXCEPT for the mandibular second pre-molar (which has a lingual height of contour in the occlusal third).

I just found this now, sorry I didn't share it sooner. Besides, the theory is ALWAYS GO BY WHAT THE OLD BOARD QUESTIONS SAY so if thats what the M papers say, then it must be true (in NBDE world).

OH and by the way, N papers say that the mandibular second premolar is also frequently congenitally missing, which I didn't know till I did the N papers! (I was looking for maxillary laterals and it wasn't an option!!!)

Thank you very much,It's a nice information.
acc to N paper it is right,In some cases man 2nd pm is a congenitally missing tooth.so we often see retained primary 2nd M clinically.
hope this helps.:luck:

pls answer

sensations from left face n teeth are interpreted in which lobe?

-left frontal
-left parietal
-rt frontal
-rt parietal
- rt temporal

thanks

pls answer

sensations from left face n teeth are interpreted in which lobe?

-left frontal
-left parietal
-rt frontal
-rt parietal
- rt temporal

thanks

sensation from the face crosses, just like from the body. All sensation is interpretated in the parietal lobe (post central gyrus--sensation, homonculus, in the parietal lobe, precental = motor, in the cortex, right in front of the precentral gyrus). so left face = right parietal lobe.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...yrus&hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS335US335&sa=X&um=1

in essential hypertension, which of the following represents the classic autopsy finding in the kidney?
pyelonephritis
glomerulonephritis
benign nephrosclerosis
renal artery stenosis
renal infarction
Pls do post the answer.

Hey spazzing,
regarding the missing teeth, the maxillary laterals are for the premolars and the premolars will be mandibular 2. its given in decks. hope it helps.

in essential hypertension, which of the following represents the classic autopsy finding in the kidney?
pyelonephritis
glomerulonephritis
benign nephrosclerosis
renal artery stenosis
renal infarction
Pls do post the answer.

benign nephrosclerosis.
think of it this way, if the arteries are atherosclerotic (cuasing hypertention), the kidneys will be too...that's how i remember.

pyelonephritis means its pus-y
glomerulonephritis is cuased by secondary beta hemolytic strep
the other two are just silly.

.during a working side movement of the mandible,the oblique ridge of max 1st M passes through which sulcus of permanent mandibular 1st M?

-MB sulcus
-DB ''
-ML ''
-DL ''

for this the answer is DB sulcus..and i know the reason why.But i have another doubt,if the oblique ridge passes through DB sulcus,what does the DB cusp of MAx 1st molar pass through?Since it opposes DB groove of counterpart..what does it pass through?Which leads me to a doubt if DB sulcus and groove is the same or not?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
.during a working side movement of the mandible,the oblique ridge of max 1st M passes through which sulcus of permanent mandibular 1st M?

-MB sulcus
-DB ''
-ML ''
-DL ''

for this the answer is DB sulcus..and i know the reason why.But i have another doubt,if the oblique ridge passes through DB sulcus,what does the DB cusp of MAx 1st molar pass through?Since it opposes DB groove of counterpart..what does it pass through?Which leads me to a doubt if DB sulcus and groove is the same or not?:confused:

Rose, ALSO the distal buccal cusp is the answer! The oblique ridge passes through during non working, the DB cusp passes through working. check it on your typodont if you have one!

crazier still, the ML cusp passes through the DF groove during non working as well (if you think about it, the oblique ridge connect the ML and the DB, right? so if the the oblique ridge goes through, then the ML follows. You can also think about it this way, the non working side moves forward down and medially, so the maxillary cusps on the non working side do the opposite, namely, diagonally backwards and laterally....ml cusp = db groove) :) Am i making sense? lol I am admittedly a spazz after all.

Last edited:
Rose, ALSO the distal buccal cusp is the answer! The oblique ridge passes through during non working, the DB cusp passes through working. check it on your typodont if you have one!

crazier still, the ML cusp passes through the DF groove during non working as well (if you think about it, the oblique ridge connect the ML and the DB, right? so if the the oblique ridge goes through, then the ML follows. You can also think about it this way, the non working side moves forward down and medially, so the maxillary cusps on the non working side do the opposite, namely, diagonally backwards and laterally....ml cusp = db groove) :) Am i making sense? lol I am admittedly a spazz after all.

Thank you so much for the explanation:).I just came across a question,which didnt mention working or non working..and had both the options.guess it was an old paper with a vague q.

edit:the more I think about it,the more i get confused.sorry if i sound stupid,but if the oblique ridge and ML cusp pass through the DB groove,doesnt it mean that DB cusp also follows the same path in the non working side?
Also,the above question mentions the oblique ridge which passes through the DB sulcus in the working side(given in decks)

Last edited:
endochondral ossification is a procedure in the development of bone in which ?
hyaline cartilage is transformed into bone
calcified cartilage is replaced by bone
osteocytes of perichondrium form bone
osteons with cartilage lamellae are formed
plz ans with little explanation .

A broad, flat facet existing on the outer aspect of ML cusp of a max 1st M and running in a ML to DF direction,was probably caused by which of the following contacting movements?

-working
-nonworking
-protrusive
-lateral protrusive

pls explain..

thanks

from wiki:
The first site of ossification occurs in the primary center of ossification, which is in the middle of diaphysis (shaft). Then:
Formation of periosteum: Once vascularized, the perichondrium becomes the periosteum. The periosteum contains a layer of undifferentiated cells (osteoprogenitor cells) which later become osteoblasts.
Formation of bone collar: The osteoblasts secrete osteoid against the shaft of the cartilage model (Appositional Growth). This serves as support for the new bone.
Calcification of matrix: Chondrocytes in the primary center of ossification begin to grow (hypertrophy). They stop secreting collagen and other proteoglycans and begin secreting alkaline phosphatase, an enzyme essential for mineral deposition. Then calcification of the matrix occurs and apoptosis of the hypertrophic chondrocytes occurs. This creates cavities within the bone. The exact mechanism of chondrocyte hypertrophy and apoptosis is currently unknown.
Invasion of periosteal bud: The hypertrophic chondrocytes (before apoptosis) secrete Vascular Endothelial Cell Growth Factor that induces the sprouting of blood vessels from the perichondrium. Blood vessels forming the periosteal bud invade the cavity left by the chondrocytes and branch in opposite directions along the length of the shaft. The blood vessels carry hemopoietic cells, osteoprogenitor cells and other cells inside the cavity. The hemopoietic cells will later form the bone marrow.
Formation of trabeculae: Osteoblasts, differentiated from the osteoprogenitor cells that entered the cavity via the periosteal bud, use the calcified matrix as a scaffold and begin to secrete osteoid, which forms the bone trabecula. Osteoclasts, formed from macrophages, break down spongy bone to form the medullary (bone marrow) cavity.

Secondary center of ossification

About the time of birth, a secondary ossification center appears in each end (epiphysis) of long bones. Periosteal buds carry mesenchyme and blood vessels in and the process is similar to that occurring in a primary ossification center. The cartilage between the primary and secondary ossification centers is called the epiphyseal plate, and it continues to form new cartilage, which is replaced by bone, a process that results in an increase in length of the bone. Growth continues until the individual is about 21 years old or until the cartilage in the plate is replaced by bone. The point of union of the primary and secondary ossification centers is called the epiphyseal line.

endochondral ossification is a procedure in the development of bone in which ?
hyaline cartilage is transformed into bone
calcified cartilage is replaced by bone
osteocytes of perichondrium form bone
osteons with cartilage lamellae are formed
plz ans with little explanation .

Its still hard to say for sure after reading the wiki article, but I think that osteocytes do not from bone, osteoblasts do, and once they are done painting themselves into a room they become osteocytes.
I think that the calcified cartilage (the matrix formed AROUND the apoptotic hypertrophied chondrocytes) is not replaced by bone, but rather is the scaffolding for it.
that leaves me thinking the answer is the first option, hyaline cartilage is transformed into the bone....since endochondral ossification is with hyaline cartilage...which is the most obvious answer with all the buzz words (and sometimes i think the most straightforward buzzword filled option is the best one and you shouldn't over think things too much...)

PS you should know this too!
During endochondral ossification, four distinct zones can be seen at the light-microscope level.
Zone of resting cartilage. This zone contains normal, resting hyaline cartilage.
Zone of proliferation. In this zone, chondrocytes undergo rapid mitosis, forming distinctive looking stacks.
Zone of maturation / hypertrophy. It is during this zone that the chondrocytes undergo hypertrophy (become enlarged). Chondrocytes contain large amounts of glycogen and begin to secrete alkaline phosphatase.
Zone of calcification. In this zone, chondrocytes are either dying or dead, leaving cavities that will later become invaded by bone-forming cells. Chondrocytes here die when they can no longer receive nutrients or eliminate wastes via diffusion. This is because the calcified matrix is much less hydrated than hyaline cartilage.

Last edited:
A broad, flat facet existing on the outer aspect of ML cusp of a max 1st M and running in a ML to DF direction,was probably caused by which of the following contacting movements?

-working
-nonworking
-protrusive
-lateral protrusive

pls explain..

thanks

Key words : running from ML to DF direction on maxillary = DF to ML (a line is a line, who cares which way you read it)
and DF to ML is the direction of the non working side on the maxillary teeth, as the mandible moves forward, downward and medially on the non working side and the pattern of movement drawn is equal and opposite on the maxilla.

I am not sure only because it states that the facet starts on the outer aspect of the ML cusp and I dunno how that would happen in non working...what does the key say?

thank you spazzing per dmd. I also thought that even in dental decks its written thay hyaline cartilage is replaced by bones in endochondral ossification but in asda I-F the answer is no.2 i.e calcified cartilage is replaced by bones

GYTBDC....WTF!!! i dunno what to say....

Also, i thought i did all the questions asda released and I dunno which year is F, as I inherited all the papers... Could you tell me which year F is (maybe the question number also?) I swear I am not being suspicious, just curious.

Key words : running from ML to DF direction on maxillary = DF to ML (a line is a line, who cares which way you read it)
and DF to ML is the direction of the non working side on the maxillary teeth, as the mandible moves forward, downward and medially on the non working side and the pattern of movement drawn is equal and opposite on the maxilla.

I am not sure only because it states that the facet starts on the outer aspect of the ML cusp and I dunno how that would happen in non working...what does the key say?

Thank u.The answer is working.It z from asda I/1989 79th question.
I have explanation also bt I didn't understand.
someone pls explain

-working
-nonworking
-protrusive
-lateral protrusive

pls explain..

thanks

Im not sure about outer aspect of ML cusp...but the logic of spazzing still holds good,only thing is the direction of the line.the line is mentioned as going from ML to DB.Which means the Mand buccal cusp is going in DB direction(laterally)...which is the working.

pls explain,question from pilot exam.359.

Q.A dietary iodine deficiency will increase which of the following?
-T4
-Thyroglobulin
-T3
-TSH

thank u.:luck:

be positive, it is just so! it was also mentioned in the decks. just a strange fact that if you have iodine deficiency, you measure increased thryoglobulin levels, not TSH (thought this would be most people's educated guess i think) and def not T3 or T4 because they cannot be made without iodine (T 3 = 3 iodines, T4 = 4 iodines etc)

i wish i could explain the physiology but its not written in any of my resources and i have no time to read journals! :)

plz ,reply this question
In health, bone is constantly undergoing resorption and formation.
In periodontitis, only bone resorption occurs.
A. Both statements are true.
B. Both statements are false.
C. The first statement is true, the second is false.
D. The first statement is false, the second is true​

plz ,reply this question
In health, bone is constantly undergoing resorption and formation.
In periodontitis, only bone resorption occurs.
A. Both statements are true.
B. Both statements are false.
C. The first statement is true, the second is false.
D. The first statement is false, the second is true​

the answer is C because bone IS constantly being modeled and remodeled. Periodontitis occurs when with both connective tissue attachment as well as bone, and the balance between catbolism and anabolism shifts towards the catabolsim. It doesn't necessarily mean that 1) there is always bone loss or 2) that the bone is not also being formed at the same time.

please correct me if i am wrong! :oops:

Ashi, if you have anymore interesting and refreshing questions like this, please share, even if you know the answer! It is so good to see new things!

Thank you :) :) :) :) :)

plz answer this quest.
which of the following cells are thought to be most important in the control of metastasis
B cells
macrophages
killer cells
cytotoxic T lymphocytes
natural killer(NK) cells

plz answer this quest.
which of the following cells are thought to be most important in the control of metastasis
B cells
macrophages
killer cells
cytotoxic T lymphocytes
natural killer(NK) cells
hi,
i think it should be cytotoxic T lymphocytes, because they are more specific in detecting foreign antigen by MHC class1.
natural killer do not express any antigen specific receptors,
killer cells same as natural killer cell
Bcells r involved will humoral immunity
macrophages in phagocytosis and in chronic granulomatous inflamation

plz, correct me if i m wrong:)

plz help me with this

when examing the normal dental mandibular arch from sagittal veiw, what inclination of teeth can be observed?
a.anterior teeth are distally inclined, posterior teeth are mesially inclined
b.both anterior and posterior are distally inclined
c.both anterior and posterior are mesially inclined
d.anterior teeth are mesially inclined , posterior teeth are distally inclined
e.anterior and posterior teeth are straight

from decks,mandibular molars are inclined distally.
i think d should be right choice.
wts answer

Hi ashi,
thank u for your ans
did u got it from decks?

one more DA question 2001 asda 126th question
Each of the following affects heights of cusps and depth of fossae on restorations except one. which one is the exception?
a. curve of spee
b. intercondylar distance
c. vertical overlap of anterior teeth
d. horizontal overlap of anterior teeth
e. steepness of articular eminence

one more DA question 2001 asda 126th question
Each of the following affects heights of cusps and depth of fossae on restorations except one. which one is the exception?
a. curve of spee
b. intercondylar distance
c. vertical overlap of anterior teeth
d. horizontal overlap of anterior teeth
e. steepness of articular eminence

Intercondylar distance

thank u be positive,
r u sure its intercondylar distance,
buz i was thinking it might be horizontal overlap of anterior teeth
can u plz explain?

one of the most prevalent consequences a/s with ageing is that
-collagen is not synthesized
-there is more cross linking in collagen
-there is less cross linking in collagen
-turnover of connective tissue is more rapid
-none
plz give ans with explanation.

plz help me with this

when examing the normal dental mandibular arch from sagittal veiw, what inclination of teeth can be observed?
a.anterior teeth are distally inclined, posterior teeth are mesially inclined
b.both anterior and posterior are distally inclined
c.both anterior and posterior are mesially inclined
d.anterior teeth are mesially inclined , posterior teeth are distally inclined
e.anterior and posterior teeth are straight

Ithink c is the right answer,pleaseeeeeeeeeeee correct me if I'm wrong.

hi,
i think it should be cytotoxic T lymphocytes, because they are more specific in detecting foreign antigen by MHC class1.
natural killer do not express any antigen specific receptors,
killer cells same as natural killer cell
Bcells r involved will humoral immunity
macrophages in phagocytosis and in chronic granulomatous inflamation

plz, correct me if i m wrong:)

U R right!

be positive, it is just so! it was also mentioned in the decks. just a strange fact that if you have iodine deficiency, you measure increased thryoglobulin levels, not TSH (thought this would be most people's educated guess i think) and def not T3 or T4 because they cannot be made without iodine (T 3 = 3 iodines, T4 = 4 iodines etc)

i wish i could explain the physiology but its not written in any of my resources and i have no time to read journals! :)

welldone!correcto!