ASDOH Volunteer hours/Experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just saw a couple of comments on ASDOH about how they are strict on their Volunteer and shadowing hours.

Do you guys think 150 Hrs of volunteer work and about 60 hours of Dentist Shadowing strong enough for them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I just saw a couple of comments on ASDOH about how they are strict on their Volunteer and shadowing hours.

Do you guys think 150 Hrs of volunteer work and about 60 hours of Dentist Shadowing strong enough for them?

Thanks

I spoke with one of the doctors in the council at ASDOH, and he said 140 hours should be OK! But, the more you have, the better chance you're gonna have! I have about 220 volunteer hours and close to 700 hours of shadowing. To be honest, I wish I had more volunteer hours since they really care about it!
Regarding your case, I think you're good with volunteer hours, but I'm not sure about shadowing hours! Some schools require minimum of 100 hours! I don't know much about ASDOH's shadowing hours! But I think if you have a high gpa and decent DAT score, you should be fine :)

By the way, I talked to the Dean last Thursday, and he said, "I don't even read the letters of recommendation, I just look at the community hours" That's exactly what he said lol which shows how much they care about community service! Why! I don't know! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
700 Hours of shadowing??? Thats so many, that must have taken forever, unless you worked in an office, then its not shadowing... but still thats a lot of Dental Experience

700 Hours of shadowing??? Thats so many, that must have taken forever, unless you worked in an office, then its not shadowing... but still thats a lot of Dental Experience

Well I didn't "work" since I didn't get paid! but I was there for about a year and I was there last summer pretty much 4 days a week! so that's how I got it! But I think even 150 hrs of shadowing or even 100 should be good to go!

well, my mother is a dentist.
I pretty much grew up in her clinic/office...
I didn't write much about my mother and her influence however, and didn't put her down for shadowing, I thought it would be better to shadow my school's dentist instead.

Hey Pooyah, 700 hours ey???
Did the dean give you an interview over the phone or what man?? LOL
that's a hell alot of hours bro. :thumbup:

well, my mother is a dentist.
I pretty much grew up in her clinic/office...
I didn't write much about my mother and her influence however, and didn't put her down for shadowing, I thought it would be better to shadow my school's dentist instead.

Hey Pooyah, 700 hours ey???
Did the dean give you an interview over the phone or what man?? LOL
that's a hell alot of hours bro. :thumbup:

Haha, well last summer I had lots of free time, and I went to my dentists practice about 4 days a week 9 hours a day! And as far as the Dean goes, I know one of the people in the council who is one of the interviewers pretty well and he keeps me updated with events and things like that. There was a dinner last Thurday that ASDOH held here in Phoenix and I attended and that's where I ran into him! lol
But the reason for my shadowing hours is that I don't have a great gpa, so I've been trying to shine in other areas! lol

By the way, I talked to the Dean last Thursday, and he said, "I don't even read the letters of recommendation, I just look at the community hours" That's exactly what he said lol which shows how much they care about community service! Why! I don't know! lol

Take it with a grain of salt, the LORs are still important. They can certainly do damage to your application.

Take it with a grain of salt, the LORs are still important. They can certainly do damage to your application.

Oh absolutely! I'm just saying what he "exactly" told me! It's just that each school is different! But that doesn't mean LORs are not important!!!

will club/fraternity volunteering count? like beach clean up, diabete center visit, relay for life and stuff like that.

So is 140 hrs the minimum cutoff they're looking for (either official or unofficial)? I don't want to waste money applying if I don't meet their cutoffs.

So is 140 hrs the minimum cutoff they're looking for (either official or unofficial)? I don't want to waste money applying if I don't meet their cutoffs.

I don't know if its so much the quantity as it is the quality. I mean I had a friend who had 600 hours of Lifeteen through his church, and he didn't even get an interview. And although everyone seems to think that ASDOH places more emphasis on volunteer work and neglects grades thats not entirely true. I couldn't even get past the secondary until I re-took my DAT.

So who do you know? Dean Dillenberg, Dean Bell, Dr. Cotttam or somebody else on the leadership team?

Haha, well last summer I had lots of free time, and I went to my dentists practice about 4 days a week 9 hours a day! And as far as the Dean goes, I know one of the people in the council who is one of the interviewers pretty well and he keeps me updated with events and things like that. There was a dinner last Thurday that ASDOH held here in Phoenix and I attended and that's where I ran into him! lol
But the reason for my shadowing hours is that I don't have a great gpa, so I've been trying to shine in other areas! lol

So who do you know? Dean Dillenberg, Dean Bell, Dr. Cotttam or somebody else on the leadership team?

I've spoken with Dr. Dillenberg, but the person I know is not in your list.

I don't know if its so much the quantity as it is the quality. I mean I had a friend who had 600 hours of Lifeteen through his church, and he didn't even get an interview. And although everyone seems to think that ASDOH places more emphasis on volunteer work and neglects grades thats not entirely true. I couldn't even get past the secondary until I re-took my DAT.

What were your DAT scores before you retook them?

How does one talk to the dean at these schools? What triggers the need to talk to them and/or what questions does one have?

Thanks!