ASHP Midyear in less than 3 weeks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Midyear in Anaheim, CA is in less than 3 weeks (Dec 7-11). Are you going? What's your goals when you're there?

I'm personally doing PPS and extremely excited about it. What about you? Planning hasn't been easy either. Its extremely expenssive, especially being a pharmacist (not to say its not for students because you have no income) but $1100 for early registration is certainly no discount!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1100 just to be there, no flights, foods, or room board included! LoL its highway robbery for sure
Did you end up paying for a lot of fees for some reason, or are you including PPS registration? The meeting was only $599 early bird.

Did you end up paying for a lot of fees for some reason, or are you including PPS registration? The meeting was only $599 early bird.
Thats if you're a member. If not you have to get membership.

Thats if you're a member. If not you have to get membership.
Which is $285. So I guess that probably is the price of membership + PPS + registration. I think that PPS is the thing that is overpriced. The meeting is much less than many other industry/professional meetings in other professions.

Also, just in case someone didn't notice, the non-member price is more than the member price + membership even if you wait to register on-site. Don't ever pay the non-member price.

I thought PPS was just for fellowships and whatnot.

Looking back at going to the residency showcase, it looks more and more like a store on black friday. Students running around everywhere desperately trying to pass around their CVs and business cards. I'm pretty sure all of those CVs were sitting in the recycling bin the next day.

I'm probably going to APhA this year. Get my CEs done. They throw better parties too.

I thought PPS was just for fellowships and whatnot.

Looking back at going to the residency showcase, it looks more and more like a store on black friday. Students running around everywhere desperately trying to pass around their CVs and business cards. I'm pretty sure all of those CVs were sitting in the recycling bin the next day.

I'm probably going to APhA this year. Get my CEs done. They throw better parties too.
PPS does residency, fellowship, and job interviews. Also, we brought home all the CV's that were given to us. Business cards came back too. We used them as a place to make notes about our interactions with the students. CV's, business cards(just as reminders), and even thank you notes were taken into account with the application when selecting people to interview.

PPS does residency, fellowship, and job interviews. Also, we brought home all the CV's that were given to us. Business cards came back too. We used them as a place to make notes about our interactions with the students. CV's, business cards(just as reminders), and even thank you notes were taken into account with the application when selecting people to interview.

But asides from a couple of students, you probably didn't remember them by face/name?

Reactions: 1 user
But asides from a couple of students, you probably didn't remember them by face/name?
Probably not, though there were several stand outs last year. Also, I may not be a good example as I am very bad with putting names and faces together until after about the 5th time I meet someone.

Probably not, though there were several stand outs last year. Also, I may not be a good example as I am very bad with putting names and faces together until after about the 5th time I meet someone.

What made people stand out? The interactions? Or the resumes? Or the grades? Or the schools?

HAHA ashp midyear is the biggest joke ever. It is for students and pharmacists unhappy with their current situation that think spending 1k or more is going to help their careers...instead midyear is just a pissing contest for residency jobs/fellowships. it is so sad ashp can get away with this...they prey on new grads/students. i bet they make so much from the conference.

What made people stand out? The interactions? Or the resumes? Or the grades? Or the schools?
Usually the interactions. The CV's/Business cards give me a way to remember who those people where and connect them with their other stuff later. I don't usually have time to actually look at the CV, never know the grades, and schools aren't a good predictor of a good interaction. I definitely talked to some people who went to top schools that went in the NOPE pile.
HAHA ashp midyear is the biggest joke ever. It is for students and pharmacists unhappy with their current situation that think spending 1k or more is going to help their careers...instead midyear is just a pissing contest for residency jobs/fellowships. it is so sad ashp can get away with this...they prey on new grads/students. i bet they make so much from the conference.
Last year as a resident, I thought we got some good interaction with students, really enjoyed Colin Powell's speech, went to some good educational sessions, and met some really great people at networking sessions. I think people who use meetings to their fullest get something out of them. I also got some good information from the poster sessions and came back with a list of papers to look for if they get published.

Usually the interactions. The CV's/Business cards give me a way to remember who those people where and connect them with their other stuff later. I don't usually have time to actually look at the CV, never know the grades, and schools aren't a good predictor of a good interaction. I definitely talked to some people who went to top schools that went in the NOPE pile.

Last year as a resident, I thought we got some good interaction with students, really enjoyed Colin Powell's speech, went to some good educational sessions, and met some really great people at networking sessions. I think people who use meetings to their fullest get something out of them. I also got some good information from the poster sessions and came back with a list of papers to look for if they get published.

Thanks for that info. And great response to the very positive comments from our colleagues above :)

LOL. I expect an inbox message when you come back from midyear saying I'm right about how useless it is.....ill wait 2 weeks.

I agree, just be judicious and have reasonable expectations from attending the conference. If you're already a working pharmacist, it costs more than said amount to attend because you won't be working during your attendance, so it actually costs (registration) + (incidentals) + (lost wages).

Midyear is a great excuse to party with your pharmacy colleagues while getting your employer to pay for it, heh heh,

The first director I worked for was going through some pictures from Midyear 2011 in NOLA and he found a shot that included me in the background taking a test tube shot from some random girls boobs, lmao!

I didn't know the director at the time. Luckily that pic was found after I got hired.