Ask a neurosurgery resident anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your thoughts on brain-machine interfaces?

Love them. We're really only on the beginning of the frontier of discovering how to interface machines and biologic structures. There are so many possibilities, we just are not devoting enough resources to understanding this field.

Members don't see this ad.

would you say that taking a year off to do research in medical school is mandatory to match? Or would the summer between M1 and M2+4th year elective time be enough?

Not at all mandatory. If you are motivated and proactive you can get on projects early on in medical school and continue to handle them when you have time throughout. There are plenty of opportunities to publish, one of my favorite is the JNS Focus. It is basically a journal for reviews and studies relating to a topic http://thejns.org/page/foc_papers . Ask the folks in your department to give you case reports or if there is a JNS Focus area of interest to you to write it up and proof-read prior to submission. Ideally, you would be on some long-term project be it basic or clinical science (or translational), but even so, publishing is better than not.

Love them. We're really only on the beginning of the frontier of discovering how to interface machines and biologic structures. There are so many possibilities, we just are not devoting enough resources to understanding this field.
Thank you for your response. I am fairly certain that this tech will be the next major step in humanity and was interested in your distinct perspective as a neurosurgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey neusu- what are your thoughts on a path fellowship between 2nd and 3rd year of medical school?

Would it hurt, improve, or not affect my chances at a neurosurg residency.

This might have already been asked, but can you estimate how many times a week you make a joke involving some derivation of the phrase "...this isn't brain surgery…"

I can't say I have ever really used that joke, sorry. Maybe once during spine conference to poke fun at the spine fellow for bragging about a massive whack they completed.

Thank you for your response. I am fairly certain that this tech will be the next major step in humanity and was interested in your distinct perspective as a neurosurgeon.
Totally agree. We have the right combination of neuroscience interest and understanding as well as tech advancement to make some strides. Very exciting time to be in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if a variant of this has already been asked, but from the neurosurgeons you have talked to and worked with, how common is it for them to work abroad for a span of time? Are neurosurgeons able to do work in developing countries, and are they in high demand? In other words, how restricted are you to practice in less technologically developed parts of the world?

Sorry if a variant of this has already been asked, but from the neurosurgeons you have talked to and worked with, how common is it for them to work abroad for a span of time? Are neurosurgeons able to do work in developing countries, and are they in high demand? In other words, how restricted are you to practice in less technologically developed parts of the world?

Many programs have an experience abroad built in to the training (UVA going to New Zealand and Wash U going to Ireland come to mind). Also, many programs have an opportunity to go abroad to the developing world during residency (project shunt at Michigan). After graduation, it certainly is a possibility to continue to volunteer or work abroad. The difficulty can lie in getting licensed in foreign countries that may or may not accept training and licensing in the US. I'd check out organizations like Operation Smile and Health Volunteers Overseas if you're interested in international volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
@neusu If you listen to music in the operating room, what music do you listen to?

Hello neusu, I am currently a junior in high school and I will be applying for colleges later this fall. I was wondering:
  1. What major should I take to be a neurosurgeon?
  2. About how much did you spend for college and medical school?
  3. Do you get paid in an internship/residency?

Hello neusu, I am currently a junior in high school and I will be applying for colleges later this fall. I was wondering:
Hey buddy, some of these questions are easy to find the answer on your own. I think he can answer #2.
What major should I take to be a neurosurgeon?
You should major in something you think you will excel on and like. When the time comes you would have to worry about your USMLE step 1 score and research during medical school.
Do you get paid in an internship/residency?
Yes. As the years of residency goes the salary goes up. Typically you start at 45k a year.

Hey buddy, some of these questions are easy to find the answer on your own. I think he can answer #2.
What major should I take to be a neurosurgeon?
You should major in something you think you will excel on and like. When the time comes you would have to worry about your USMLE step 1 score and research during medical school.
Do you get paid in an internship/residency?
Yes. As the years of residency goes the salary goes up. Typically you start at 45k a year.
Thanks man. The reason I ask the first one is because everywhere I look, I keep getting different answers and it confuses me because I want to chose the best one. And the third one seemed like a good idea at the moment.

Thanks man. The reason I ask the first one is because everywhere I look, I keep getting different answers and it confuses me because I want to chose the best one.
Yeah dude, don't sweat it. Some people love English and major in it and go to medical school, but of course they take the require pre-reqs. Right now just focus on kicking ass on the SAT or ACT.

Yeah dude, don't sweat it. Some people love English and major in it and go to medical school, but of course they take the require pre-reqs. Right now just focus on kicking ass on the SAT or ACT.
Okay! Time for a Rocky montage!

It varies, mostly on the attending I'm with. Most of the time it's top 40s or music from 70s/90s/90s. I've had attendings who listened to heavy metal, jazz, or techno.
Hahaha that's awesome and a little bit odd.

For a guy like me who does like neurosurgery but is scared to lose his future wife and seeing his future kids everyday, would you still recommend neurosurgery residency? Also, I would be like 30 or 31 when I plan on graduating medical school. -_-

1) Whatever interests you. If you can, get your medical school pre-requisites out of the way during undergrad. If you are interested in biological sciences, that often covers many of the pre-reqs. If you are interested in something else (social sciences, engineering, arts), it may be additional work, but you'll be more rounded.
2) This varies widely, some people spend nothing, others close to $300,000+. I was lucky and had some scholarships/funding/etc so it certainly could have been worse for me than it was.
3) Most interns and residents get paid. Each program should have an ACGME website which details the compensation and benefits.

1) Whatever interests you. If you can, get your medical school pre-requisites out of the way during undergrad. If you are interested in biological sciences, that often covers many of the pre-reqs. If you are interested in something else (social sciences, engineering, arts), it may be additional work, but you'll be more rounded.
2) This varies widely, some people spend nothing, others close to $300,000+. I was lucky and had some scholarships/funding/etc so it certainly could have been worse for me than it was.
3) Most interns and residents get paid. Each program should have an ACGME website which details the compensation and benefits.
Thank you.

Hahaha that's awesome and a little bit odd.

For a guy like me who does like neurosurgery but is scared to lose his future wife and seeing his future kids everyday, would you still recommend neurosurgery residency? Also, I would be like 30 or 31 when I plan on graduating medical school. -_-

As a neurosurgeon you certainly can have a great family life. While it likely will be more demanding with respect to time and stress than a lot of other medical careers, time is what you make of it. Spending more time with the family vs quality time when you have it counts. During residency life can be tough. There is really no way around working 80 hours/week, being post-call, and having limited days off. Finding someone who understands that and is okay with it is important.

I can't say I have ever really used that joke, sorry. Maybe once during spine conference to poke fun at the spine fellow for bragging about a massive whack they completed.

Props man. I had a few lectures from a neurosurgeon a while ago. The number of times I heard "this is easy right? it's not like it's brain surgery" or "how many neurosurgeons does it take to ..."
Started to have homicidal ideations halfway through

I'm betting on the Seahawks.
43-8 :highfive: If you want a good laugh go on Facebook and search NFL memes.

As a neurosurgeon you certainly can have a great family life. While it likely will be more demanding with respect to time and stress than a lot of other medical careers, time is what you make of it. Spending more time with the family vs quality time when you have it counts. During residency life can be tough. There is really no way around working 80 hours/week, being post-call, and having limited days off. Finding someone who understands that and is okay with it is important.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking (my bad if it this ? has been asked already) and what year are you in your residency?
Which cases do you see/do the most, like more cranial or spine surgery?

Props man. I had a few lectures from a neurosurgeon a while ago. The number of times I heard "this is easy right? it's not like it's brain surgery" or "how many neurosurgeons does it take to ..."
Started to have homicidal ideations halfway through

Probably just trying to be funny. Not all of us have a great sense of humor

43-8 :highfive: If you want a good laugh go on Facebook and search NFL memes.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking (my bad if it this ? has been asked already) and what year are you in your residency?
Which cases do you see/do the most, like more cranial or spine surgery?

I'm in my early 30s, PGY-5.

In academic medicine we see a pretty even volume of cranial and spine. I personally like the cranial stuff better and am interested in doing a vascular fellowship. That being said, there is nothing like throwing screws in the spine with good purchase, especially iliac. You can finish a case and know the patient will feel better. With cranial, the results aren't often immediate.

Woo, I think I finally answered all of your questions!

Thanks guys, I had fun, I'll keep watching should other questions come up. It has been fun.

Reactions: 2 users
While I don't have a particular interest in neurosurgery, I enjoyed reading this thread on and off. Thank you, @neusu , for taking the time to answer all these questions! You've been a great contributor to these forums, and I'm sure you've inspired some future neurosurgeons :)

Reactions: 1 users
While I don't have a particular interest in neurosurgery, I enjoyed reading this thread on and off. Thank you, @neusu , for taking the time to answer all these questions! You've been a great contributor to these forums, and I'm sure you've inspired some future neurosurgeons :)

Thanks for your honesty. FWIW I enjoy reading the other specialties threads myself. In any case, I hope I may have answered some questions that are out there, or, perhaps, made neurosurgery less of an intimidating field. I like to think I may have inspired some future neurosurgeons, but only time will tell.

Hey neusu, just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I know most neurosurgery residencies would like to see research involving neuroscience related projects but do you think a research project involving the anatomy of nerves in the orbit would be related enough for residency directors to be enthusiastic about? I know in the end all research is better than nothing but I was just wondering if this is something maybe intriguing for neurosurgeons or if it will be less cared for because its more ophthalmology related. Thanks.

Hey neusu, just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I know most neurosurgery residencies would like to see research involving neuroscience related projects but do you think a research project involving the anatomy of nerves in the orbit would be related enough for residency directors to be enthusiastic about? I know in the end all research is better than nothing but I was just wondering if this is something maybe intriguing for neurosurgeons or if it will be less cared for because its more ophthalmology related. Thanks.

When I review applications for residency it goes thusly: Board score (near average +/- ?), letters (I know most letter writers, what they write, what they subtly mean), publications (journal, authorship, field, #). Then comes the interview.

We like to see publications, many, in neurosurgery. All of this has a caveat (e.g. if you're buried on 5 neurosurgery papers, or 1st author on a relevant Nature paper). Long and short, we want to know that you'll be productive in your research year during residency. What's that you say? Some programs do not value research? If you have a ton of papers you'll likely not even be considered? This is also true. The goal of academic neurosurgery is to create neurosurgeons. Be it as it may, the majority of the need for neurosurgeons is not academic. Certainly, to get in to a residency, playing your cards right and saying academics interests you (if you want to go to a 'top' program) is the way to go. That being said. I interviewed at places where I was flat out asked "Why are you interviewing here? You clearly have no interest in coming here" (based on my CV). To be honest, I just wanted to match. I would have been happy at any program I ranked. Maybe my academic bent in undergrad was to get to med school, and in med school was to get to neurosurgery and I just wanted to do private practice, maybe it was a step stone to being a chairman. Shouldn't matter in my opinion.

Long and short of it: it depends

When I review applications for residency it goes thusly: Board score (near average +/- ?), letters (I know most letter writers, what they write, what they subtly mean), publications (journal, authorship, field, #). Then comes the interview.

We like to see publications, many, in neurosurgery. All of this has a caveat (e.g. if you're buried on 5 neurosurgery papers, or 1st author on a relevant Nature paper). Long and short, we want to know that you'll be productive in your research year during residency. What's that you say? Some programs do not value research? If you have a ton of papers you'll likely not even be considered? This is also true. The goal of academic neurosurgery is to create neurosurgeons. Be it as it may, the majority of the need for neurosurgeons is not academic. Certainly, to get in to a residency, playing your cards right and saying academics interests you (if you want to go to a 'top' program) is the way to go. That being said. I interviewed at places where I was flat out asked "Why are you interviewing here? You clearly have no interest in coming here" (based on my CV). To be honest, I just wanted to match. I would have been happy at any program I ranked. Maybe my academic bent in undergrad was to get to med school, and in med school was to get to neurosurgery and I just wanted to do private practice, maybe it was a step stone to being a chairman. Shouldn't matter in my opinion.

Long and short of it: it depends

Thank you for the response. I honestly find research interesting but I don't know if academics is where I really want to be. I don't care for top programs as long as I'm in a program thats going to train me well without malignant attendings.

On a side note, its funny because I remember participating in this thread last year before getting into medical school and I was dead set on neurosurgery. Now that I'm in medical school and am able to be around different clinical practices that has changed and I am beginning to realize I'd be happy doing a lot different specialties. Neurosurgery is definitely still something I hold a lot of interest in. I think if I were to choose a specialty based on how much I enjoyed the actual clinical aspect it would be hands down neurosurgery but when I start looking at different factors of all the specialties it becomes a more difficult choice because while I may not find other specialties as intriguing as neurosurgery they have other things like better lifestyles, etc that I'm starting to realize is important for me personally.

Anyways though thank you for doing this, I was surprised to see this thread still active but its great you are offering your insight. I'm sure many people are inspired by some of the things in this thread.

Thank you for the response. I honestly find research interesting but I don't know if academics is where I really want to be. I don't care for top programs as long as I'm in a program thats going to train me well without malignant attendings.

On a side note, its funny because I remember participating in this thread last year before getting into medical school and I was dead set on neurosurgery. Now that I'm in medical school and am able to be around different clinical practices that has changed and I am beginning to realize I'd be happy doing a lot different specialties. Neurosurgery is definitely still something I hold a lot of interest in. I think if I were to choose a specialty based on how much I enjoyed the actual clinical aspect it would be hands down neurosurgery but when I start looking at different factors of all the specialties it becomes a more difficult choice because while I may not find other specialties as intriguing as neurosurgery they have other things like better lifestyles, etc that I'm starting to realize is important for me personally.

Anyways though thank you for doing this, I was surprised to see this thread still active but its great you are offering your insight. I'm sure many people are inspired by some of the things in this thread.

Thanks friend. I encourage you to strongly consider neurosurgery as a career. That being said, as you indicated, it is not for everyone. We work long hard hours in and out of residency. We deal with things on a daily basis that most physicians keep in their "worst experience" catalog. If you think it is for you and there is anything I can do to assist you, or anyone here for that matter, please, just PM me and I'm happy to try to help.

I appreciate that, as I'm sure all the people who have viewed this thread do as well. This is really a great resource for any aspiring neurosurgeon to look through.

Luckily, this year at my school they just implemented a neurosurgery elective during 3rd and 4th year so I am definitely taking advantage of that when the time comes. I think it will end up being one of those things where when I'm actually on the neurosurgery rotation Ill either absolutely fall in love with it or realize I'd be happier in a different field.

I appreciate that, as I'm sure all the people who have viewed this thread do as well. This is really a great resource for any aspiring neurosurgeon to look through.

Luckily, this year at my school they just implemented a neurosurgery elective during 3rd and 4th year so I am definitely taking advantage of that when the time comes. I think it will end up being one of those things where when I'm actually on the neurosurgery rotation Ill either absolutely fall in love with it or realize I'd be happier in a different field.

That's great. I did not have a neurology or neurosurgery elective required. While at my medical school it would have been nice, I do feel that it should be required of all US seniors to have spent some time with the clinical neurosciences services.

Neurosurgery is such a great field, I think every medical student should at least have the opportunity to spend a week observing what it is we do, should they so choose. I agree, we tend to have gallows humor and be inappropriate when you compare us to other services. Nonetheless, we play an important role, often the pivitol role, in many peoples' recovery from acute neurological pathology.

I'd still encourage you to pursue neurosurgery

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the insight on how the admissions committee might evaluate our applications. Obviously board scores, letters and publications are of top importance in neurosurgery.. but what about the other stuff?

e.g.
1. statement of purpose (what do you like to see here?)
2. CV (demonstrated interest in neuro thru conferences, poster presentations, etc)
3. where u graduated from
4. IMG status (I'm an international med student, but US citizen, so no VISA needed)
5. If you don't have a step 2 CK score yet before they send out interview invitations
6. if I have 3 LOR's from great academic neurosurgeons at 3 different away rotations in the US, what do you want to see from the 4th LOR? research professor? general surg? a non-surgical rotation director?
7. if I'm interested in pediatric neuro, is it too early to discuss that in my application, since you don't get that much peds exposure in residency? what if two of my LOR's are from pediatric neurosurgeons?

How do these things play into how they evaluate you?

Thanks for offering your insight with this fantastic thread!

Wow thanks for the insight on how the admissions committee might evaluate our applications. Obviously board scores, letters and publications are of top importance in neurosurgery.. but what about the other stuff?

e.g.
1. statement of purpose (what do you like to see here?)
2. CV (demonstrated interest in neuro thru conferences, poster presentations, etc)
3. where u graduated from
4. IMG status (I'm an international med student, but US citizen, so no VISA needed)
5. If you don't have a step 2 CK score yet before they send out interview invitations
6. if I have 3 LOR's from great academic neurosurgeons at 3 different away rotations in the US, what do you want to see from the 4th LOR? research professor? general surg? a non-surgical rotation director?
7. if I'm interested in pediatric neuro, is it too early to discuss that in my application, since you don't get that much peds exposure in residency? what if two of my LOR's are from pediatric neurosurgeons?

How do these things play into how they evaluate you?

Thanks for offering your insight with this fantastic thread!

1) Try not to be too hokey, or simply recap your CV. In all honesty, I don't place much value in the personal statement
2) CV in its truest form is the most important part of the application. Publication record etc. is important, but expressing commitment to neurosurgery in particular is not a necessity. The CV helps to establish a track record of commitment to projects and success therein. It can be in GI or social sciences, but having experience developing an interest, researching, and publishing is important. That being said, if you initially started outside neurosurgery, having a transition towards neurosurgery is important. Likewise, a reason for this transition to discuss at the interview is important.
3) I'd rather not say for anonymity sake. It is a small field, you could easily find me knowing my position and alma mater.
4) This will be an issue. Even if you went to Oxford, not training in the US system creates a liability with respect to your medical knowledge base and clinical experience. Yes, doing well on Step-1 can offset the question mark regarding clinical knowledge. That being said, there are a multitude of IMGs who crush boards but just can not make the clinical connection on the wards. Likewise, clinical training abroad vastly differs from the US. Make sure you have a broad US clinical exposure, with letters, to verify you can successfully navigate the US medical environment.
5) So far as I'm concerned, Step-2 CK is the same as Step-3. Does not matter. That being said, if you bomb Step-1, take Step-2 early to show you can do well. Unfortunately, if you crush Step-1 and bomb Step-2, your advantage is lost.
6) The 4th letter would best be served as another academic US neurosurgeon. Make sure these neurosurgeons are either chairmen or titans (e.g. senior society members). There is no use getting a letter from someone who is an "academic neurosurgeon" who no one knows.
7) When asked during interviews, indicating your interest in pediatrics is acceptable. I would not recommend putting it in our personal statement. Much like medical school, residency is long and your mind on which sub-specialty to pursue (if any) changes

Have you ever messed up on something and had to go through the scrubbing process all over again? @neusu

Last edited:
1) Try not to be too hokey, or simply recap your CV. In all honesty, I don't place much value in the personal statement
2) CV in its truest form is the most important part of the application. Publication record etc. is important, but expressing commitment to neurosurgery in particular is not a necessity. The CV helps to establish a track record of commitment to projects and success therein. It can be in GI or social sciences, but having experience developing an interest, researching, and publishing is important. That being said, if you initially started outside neurosurgery, having a transition towards neurosurgery is important. Likewise, a reason for this transition to discuss at the interview is important.
3) I'd rather not say for anonymity sake. It is a small field, you could easily find me knowing my position and alma mater.
4) This will be an issue. Even if you went to Oxford, not training in the US system creates a liability with respect to your medical knowledge base and clinical experience. Yes, doing well on Step-1 can offset the question mark regarding clinical knowledge. That being said, there are a multitude of IMGs who crush boards but just can not make the clinical connection on the wards. Likewise, clinical training abroad vastly differs from the US. Make sure you have a broad US clinical exposure, with letters, to verify you can successfully navigate the US medical environment.
5) So far as I'm concerned, Step-2 CK is the same as Step-3. Does not matter. That being said, if you bomb Step-1, take Step-2 early to show you can do well. Unfortunately, if you crush Step-1 and bomb Step-2, your advantage is lost.
6) The 4th letter would best be served as another academic US neurosurgeon. Make sure these neurosurgeons are either chairmen or titans (e.g. senior society members). There is no use getting a letter from someone who is an "academic neurosurgeon" who no one knows.
7) When asked during interviews, indicating your interest in pediatrics is acceptable. I would not recommend putting it in our personal statement. Much like medical school, residency is long and your mind on which sub-specialty to pursue (if any) changes

This advice is like gold to me. Thanks so much!

BTW, for the record, in point #3, I wasn't asking which med school you specifically went to, rather, "Does it matter which med school a candidate went to, from the point of view of the admissions committee?"

So let's say you are a final year med student and have a few away rotations in neurosurgery lined up. Do you have any specific advice on how to make an awesome impression so that they would love to have you as a resident in case you apply there?

What is expected of you?
What is not expected of you?
What is not expected, but will make an awesome impression?
What should you absolutely NOT do?

When and who should you ask for LOR's and how do you approach this? (Chair? Residency Director? Titans? Attendings u work closely with? all of the above?) Should you introduce yourself to that person at the beginning of the rotation, or schedule an appt with them with their secretary, and during your meeting ask them to keep an eye on your progress during your rotation?

Any specific books/chapters to become familiar with before/during the rotation?

Should we research the topic of interest of the local titan/chair/RD and write a case report or prepare a presentation on that topic in case the opportunity arises during the rotation?

Thanks!

If you think it is for you and there is anything I can do to assist you, or anyone here for that matter, please, just PM me and I'm happy to try to help.
I just wanted to extend a sincere and heartfelt thank you neusu for your time and this very generous gesture.

Have you ever messed up on something and had to go through the scrubbing process all over again? @neusu

Not sure if you're speaking metaphorically or physically. To answer the question both ways I'll start with the OR: Yes, have contaminated myself and had to rescrub. As a resident it is just as embarrassing as a student, just less impacting personally. I still get to do the case. As a student, often, especially if it's your first time in our OR, it is a spotlight. I just laugh it off, and try to contain whatever it is I contaminated or was contaminated by (circulating nurses can be vicious!). I've had a couple of research programs get off the ground that I was invested in wherein I lost funding and had to restart the whole process. Again, it is a bit embarrassing, but to save face, just smile and continue. Reapply, broaden your scope, continue.

This advice is like gold to me. Thanks so much!

BTW, for the record, in point #3, I wasn't asking which med school you specifically went to, rather, "Does it matter which med school a candidate went to, from the point of view of the admissions committee?"

Happy to help.

I hate to say it, but it matters which medical school you went to. My attendings drool over medical students from top school. Harvard, not so much. Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, oh yeah. Our SubIs get preference in the match, unless the mess up. Top schools make a difference. Top letters from not top schools also make a reference. I won't out anyone, but there was a guy last year who had a HUGE board score, rotated at top programs, had INSANE letterers. While I can't say for certain, he matched where he wanted to.

So let's say you are a final year med student and have a few away rotations in neurosurgery lined up. Do you have any specific advice on how to make an awesome impression so that they would love to have you as a resident in case you apply there?

What is expected of you?
What is not expected of you?
What is not expected, but will make an awesome impression?
What should you absolutely NOT do?

When and who should you ask for LOR's and how do you approach this? (Chair? Residency Director? Titans? Attendings u work closely with? all of the above?) Should you introduce yourself to that person at the beginning of the rotation, or schedule an appt with them with their secretary, and during your meeting ask them to keep an eye on your progress during your rotation?

Any specific books/chapters to become familiar with before/during the rotation?

Should we research the topic of interest of the local titan/chair/RD and write a case report or prepare a presentation on that topic in case the opportunity arises during the rotation?

Thanks!

To make an awesome impression: Be 1) Affiable 2) Available 3) Able. What this means, is always be positive, do the resident job for them. Never show that you're burnt out/tired/sick of it. Have a smile and a pleasant disposition constantly. Be around. Never leave. Obviously leave if you're told to, but never be far if there's something that can be done. In modern medicine, there really isn't **** you can do as a medical student, the junior resident gets hosed. When I was an intern you could write notes for me etc, Nonetheless, this still doesn't take over the 3) tennet.. Be Able to do anything we ask of you. Tie knots, that should be child's play. throw sutures on a scalp wound neurosurgery was erroneously called? Get R done. Clip a basilar tip aneurysm? If you think you can, you're full of ****, get out of here.. In any case, we let medical students do some things, based on their ability, and if they can't do the basics that is a huge red flag.

To make an awesome impression: Be 1) Affiable 2) Available 3) Able. What this means, is always be positive, do the resident job for them. Never show that you're burnt out/tired/sick of it. Have a smile and a pleasant disposition constantly. Be around. Never leave. Obviously leave if you're told to, but never be far if there's something that can be done. In modern medicine, there really isn't **** you can do as a medical student, the junior resident gets hosed. When I was an intern you could write notes for me etc, Nonetheless, this still doesn't take over the 3) tennet.. Be Able to do anything we ask of you. Tie knots, that should be child's play. throw sutures on a scalp wound neurosurgery was erroneously called? Get R done. Clip a basilar tip aneurysm? If you think you can, you're full of ****, get out of here.. In any case, we let medical students do some things, based on their ability, and if they can't do the basics that is a huge red flag.
This applies to all specialties at all levels! Just had to say it. The more you follow this advice during rotations or volunteering, the better.

Does your school publish class rank? Work hard this year, do well on Step 1, and try to get involved in some research. No single factor will make or break your application (barring any egregious issue).

What kind of class rank is impressive to report on your CV? Doesn't the class size also matter? If you're like rank 11 out of 150, does that stand out or is it better to leave it off the CV or just say top 10% of the class?