Ask an Admissions Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianaOT

[email protected]
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings from Indiana University and the IU School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences in Indianapolis!

My name is Josh Morrison, and I am Director of Student Enrollment Services. In this role I am the director of admissions for the MSOT program. I'd be happy to help answer general questions about the OT admissions process, particularly for entry-level MSOT and MOT programs.

If you'd like to inquire off the site, I can be reached at [email protected].

Look forward to your questions and helping you through this exciting process!

Best wishes,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings from Indiana University and the IU School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences in Indianapolis!

My name is Josh Morrison, and I am Director of Student Enrollment Services. In this role I am the director of admissions for the MSOT program. I'd be happy to help answer general questions about the OT admissions process, particularly for entry-level MSOT and MOT programs.

If you'd like to inquire off the site, I can be reached at [email protected].

Look forward to your questions and helping you through this exciting process!

Best wishes,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello,
OT will be a second career for me at age 30. In undergrad, I was not as motivated or driven as I am today and only graduated with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. I've since taken my prerequisites and for most schools I'll have a 4.0 prerequisite GPA. My question to you, as an admissions counselor, is how will I be viewed? I've done well on my GRE (153 Q 161V 4.5 AW) and have lots of relevant work/volunteer/observation experience. I'm so afraid my lower GPA will hold me back. Should I be asking schools if I can send in a supplemental essay to explain my lackluster undergrad performance? There's no real one reason aside from I couldn't see the value of hard work back then. What is your advice?

Greetings Josh Morrison;

I am interested in learning more about this MS OT program. Since this program uses a ranking system based on GPA, I would like to know the mean undergraduate GPA of accepted applicants for 2013 so I can assess my competitiveness for this particular program. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ErinOT:

Thanks for your message. Without a better understanding of your overall cumulative GPA it is hard to give solid guidance. Since you are above 3.0, but probably below 3.4, your best chance is to really look at programs and their most recent 2-3 admit classes and see if your statistics are at all competitive. Keep in mind that averages are just that, a very poor measure of one's chances. The better measure is a range of enrolled student GPAs. Indiana University keeps both statistics on the enrolled class.

So you should apply broadly but be sure to apply to only those programs for which you meet their minimum standards. Minimal scores are not often successful, so be prepared for some denials.

In addition, if you are writing personal statements as part of the process, I suggest using these to your advantage and explaining how your performance several years ago does not reflect the dedicated student you are now. If there were external struggles that meant you could not excel, mention those and detail how you've overcome those challenges. If you've just matured, that's OK to state also.

Some programs look at last 60 credit hours as an indicator of academic momentum. This would likely help you. The policies should be indicated on each program's website.

Regarding a supplemental letter. I do not recommend sending this. Admission committees try to view each applicant and all applicants fairly and on the same playing field. I often receive extraneous materials in admission packets. I immediately discard these because we want the process to be transparent and fair to all.

If you are offered an interview I think it pays to open up about your experiences and why that past performance will not show up again. You'll need to articulate this clearly.

Good luck to you!

Josh Morrison
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

@BHSUStudent:

I replied to your other thread as well about "good" OT schools that do not require the GRE. Indiana University does not require or review GRE scores.

As I said above, mean GPA doesn't indicate too much. In addition, these GPA scores vary yearly, so one GPA average is not indicative of the next year's score.

That said, here's a brief profile of our enrolled class. This is subject to revision if further data comes available:

Number of applicants: 281
Number of qualified/complete applications: 201
Enrolled: 36

Average Cumulative GPA: 3.7678
Cumulative GPA Range: 3.5577-3.9655

Average Prerequisite GPA: 3.9042
Prerequisite GPA Range: 3.7000-4.000

I encourage you to apply if you meet our minimum standards. No one can guarantee admission. But if you meet or exceed our 3.2 minimums (in both CGPA and Prerequisite GPA), you have a chance at admission, particularly if you are in the interview pool. We will interview the most well qualified 75 applicants for the 36 positions in the program.

Best,

Josh Morrison
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

Last edited:
@ErinOT:

Thanks for your message. Without a better understanding of your overall cumulative GPA it is hard to give solid guidance. Since you are above 3.0, but probably below 3.4, your best chance is to really look at programs and their most recent 2-3 admit classes and see if your statistics are at all competitive. Keep in mind that averages are just that, a very poor measure of one's chances. The better measure is a range of enrolled student GPAs. Indiana University keeps both statistics on the enrolled class.

So you should apply broadly but be sure to apply to only those programs for which you meet their minimum standards. Minimal scores are not often successful, so be prepared for some denials.

In addition, if you are writing personal statements as part of the process, I suggest using these to your advantage and explaining how your performance several years ago does not reflect the dedicated student you are now. If there were external struggles that meant you could not excel, mention those and detail how you've overcome those challenges. If you've just matured, that's OK to state also.

Some programs look at last 60 credit hours as an indicator of academic momentum. This would likely help you. The policies should be indicated on each program's website.

Regarding a supplemental letter. I do not recommend sending this. Admission committees try to view each applicant and all applicants fairly and on the same playing field. I often receive extraneous materials in admission packets. I immediately discard these because we want the process to be transparent and fair to all.

If you are offered an interview I think it pays to open up about your experiences and why that past performance will not show up again. You'll need to articulate this clearly.

Good luck to you!

Josh Morrison
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

Thanks so much for your answer. That is really helpful advice.
I'm also wondering what kinds of things you see in the best personal statements? What can someone do to stand out in a sea of qualified candidates? Should there be great emphasis on what I hope to do with my degree in the future or more about how I'm qualified to succeed in the program?
Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.59, and a prerequisite GPA that ranges from 3.5-3.6. So my prerequisite GPA is of concern. I also have research experience with the Special Olympics, some volunteer hours with the Special Olympics and Veterans' Health Administration, 564 hours of direct experience with the developmentally disabled as a Direct Support Professional, 100 hours of observation, CPR and first aid certification, and currently work as an OT aide PRN, with 30 hours in so far. I am not sure how heavily this program weighs other criteria such as the above. Lastly, I took vertebrate anatomy as human anatomy was not offered in my area. However, it was essentially human anatomy with cat dissection for the lab.

Last edited:
@ErinOT:

The best personal statements address the question(s) posed directly. Please do not obfuscate or address only tangential questions. Typically the purpose of these is to get to know the candidate better, particularly for programs that do not interview.

You'll want to address the question adequately, and if necessary use that as a point to address an issue you'd like the committee to know about, such as OT experiences that were particularly meaningful to you, or perhaps as a way of explaining previously poor academic performance. It shouldn't be a laundry list of how great you are, but a chance to see how you came to be interested in OT and what it means to you to make a difference in the lives of patients, or whatever your rationale is. In addition you have to back up your claims. You can't just say "I want to help people" and not have any experiences helping people.

Most OT programs are generalist programs because the board exams are general. So I doubt you will know for sure which area in OT you want, and even if you think you know, your plans could change.

The statement is about your interest and background to succeed in OT school, typically, and so extraneous things are unlikely to be too helpful, and you may not have room given word count constraints.

Best,

Josh Morrison
shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]
Thanks so much for your answer. That is really helpful advice.
I'm also wondering what kinds of things you see in the best personal statements? What can someone do to stand out in a sea of qualified candidates? Should there be great emphasis on what I hope to do with my degree in the future or more about how I'm qualified to succeed in the program?
Thanks again!

@BHSU Student:

Please submit a prerequisite course completion form, available here: http://shrs.iupui.edu/occupational_therapy/admissions/ along with all undergraduate and graduate transcripts (if applicable) to [email protected] for review. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for transcript evaluation.

Without looking at your situation in specific, I hesitate to offer advice. It does look like you would be competitive, particularly as we go to an interview process this year. However, we won't know until the application deadline November 1.

We require human anatomy and human physiology with lab in each. Applicants who do not have both will need to complete them. Two prerequisites maximum may be in progress by the application deadline and must be completed by the end of the fall term, before January 1.

Best,

Josh Morrison
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

This thread hasn't received much traffic, but I wanted to write a few pointers about getting through the admissions process with grace and sanity. These hints are generally applicable to most programs:

1. Before applying, be sure that you know why you want to pursue OT education and become an OT. You don't need to decide what specialty you want to pursue or list institutions, but be sure you want to be an OT and have the evidence to back up your desire. If a program admits you and you decide to withdraw, that's an OT in practice that, for all practical purposes, the profession never gets back. Programs are looking for candidates that are fully and unequivocally committed to being a highly qualified and competent OT.

2. Ensure you are familiar with the requirements of each program to which you apply, whether they participate in OTCAS (Indiana University does not at this time), and know the profile of their most recently enrolled class. Though these profiles are not predictive, they can give you clues as to how competitive you might be for admission.

3. Look at OTCAS and non-OTCAS programs. Participation in OTCAS is not an indication of program quality or any other factor.

4. When applying to programs, look at the details that matter. What proportion of their faculty have earned doctorates? Who is responsible for fieldwork? How many fieldwork experiences are required? Do these fieldwork experiences cover the full lifespan? What is the first-time pass rate on the national board exam? How does this compare to other programs you're considering? To the national average?

5. Communicate with OT admissions staff respectfully and for issues that cannot be solved via a website search. Use email and then follow up via phone if you do not receive a reply in a few business days. Please note that the staff who work with OT admissions may also work with other programs, so it is useful to identify yourself and your program via email and phone. Include your OTCAS ID or university ID for an online application if available.

6. Read, then re-read, all admission policies and procedures. Many programs, including IU, require a supplementary campus application. Applicants that omit items for admission and application requirements do so at their own risk. Programs will make attempts to help you and remind you of missing materials. Even so, completing the application process in a timely manner is the applicant's responsibility. Keep a file of all requirements for each program, and be sure to get them in ahead of the application deadline.

7. Make sure you know of interview dates, if applicable, and block those dates off on your calendar. If a program has one interview date, or a set of dates, block them all off and ensure your schedule is cleared. Programs can only devote so many resources to the interview day, and cannot duplicate the experience for a few candidates that cannot attend.

8. Be truthful in all your interactions with the admissions staff and in the admissions process. Unethical behavior, omissions of documentation, and falsification of materials are all grounds for termination of an application. OTs are held to the highest ethical standards, and OT students are as well. Start off on the right foot by doing things the right way from the start. Program admission staff are smart; they've seen many applications and can suss out a suspicious piece of data when presented.

9. Be sure to apply broadly, but not indiscriminately. If you do not meet the minimum requirements for a program, please save yourself the hassle and do not apply. I know this may be tough for some, but the competition for many programs means we simply cannot make exceptions to our admission policies. I know many candidates with less-than-stellar grades who might be excellent OTs. Unfortunately we cannot make consistent judgment calls regarding potential ability. We have to use the evidence we have in order to make admission offers.

I am happy to answer questions about the OT admission process. If you have questions about your competitiveness, what route(s) you should take, what is most appropriate in terms of an admissions process, these I can help you with.

Best wishes to all for a successful admission season!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Last edited:
Do applicants that don't have a common major (by common major I mean Psychology, Kinesiology, Biology, Exercise Science, and Sociology) stand out? Would an undergraduate degree in Speech Language Pathology or Special Education be looked down upon?

@jessjlstar:

Thanks for your message. For many, if not most OT programs, undergraduate major is not a factor. Indiana University does not prefer any particular major, degree (BA/BS), institution, in-state residents, etc. There are no preferences in our program admission process.

There is some benefit to a diverse class, both in terms of visible and invisible diversity (such as socioeconomic status). A different undergraduate major than the norm probably won't hurt, but it may not help.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

I am considering taking Intro to Public Speaking this fall at my community college. I have seen that quite a few programs recommend having the class, and am thinking it might be a good class to have. Plus, it seems like a good skill to have in the OT profession. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the last three days of the Intro to Public Speaking class and I'm not sure if the professor will allow me to complete the final ahead of time. I guess I'm wondering if it would be better to receive a B in a recommended class or to not have taken the course at all. I don't know how much weight is given to "recommended" courses, so I don't know if taking the class but possibly having to receive a lower grade would be better that not taking the class at all. I am not planning on taking the course unless I can receive at least a B without the final. In case this is important, I would guess my GPA is somewhere above a 3.7. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
@RedHeadOT:

Thanks for your question. In my view, interpersonal communication is a much more relevant course, because as an OT you are unlikely to give speeches to a room of clients. You are often in 1-1 or small group discussions where you are trying to obtain feedback from the client(s) about their lives, interests, goals, treatment conditions, etc.

In the Indiana University process there is no weight to recommended courses. They are simply recommended to better prepare students for the program, but they are not on the level of prerequisites. Given the competition for entry into OT programs, anything that harms your GPA is worthy of attention.

On balance, I don't think (a) the course is truly necessary and (b) if you are unable to complete it with an A, then it will harm your GPA. The risks seem to outweigh the benefits for me.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

The OT who is writing my letter of recommendation asked how long I think the letter should be. She says she has a page written, is willing to write more but wasn't sure what the standard is. Do schools take a 'the more, the better' approach to these letters, or does it only matter that the letter gets the point across?

@ErinOT:

IU does not require LOR, but the best letters are specific to the candidate and provide additional relevant evidence of a candidate's preparation for OT school. This can include academic and experiential information, personality, demeanor, etc. The purpose is to provide relevant details on what a student brings to a program besides their academics and demonstrated skills. OT involves both the mind and the heart.

One page is fine, given a small letterhead. I would not opine for more than two pages in any case. You have to keep in mind that the OT committee only has limited time to read these, and only the key points will likely be retained by faculty in their minds when interviewing or reviewing a candidate. So focus on the key differentiators and the things that are most relevant to OT school.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you so much for all your helpful advice on here!

I have an undergraduate degree in an unrelated field, so I've spent the past year taking the required prerequisite classes at community college (I have a 4.0 so far and intend to keep it that way!) I'm not sure if it is the same for your program, but it seems that most allow applicants to have one incomplete prereq at the time of application as long as you have clear plans to complete it before the start date. I am planning on submitting my applications after I have finished Anatomy and Physiology 1, but haven't yet completed A & P 2. Even though its allowed, does this hurt an applicant's chance since its so competitive?

Thanks!
Laura

@lcs2074:

Thanks for your question.

Rules vary regarding outstanding prerequisites, as you've noted. Programs want to get relevant academic and other information on applicants. The question is what is relevant and how much of it is necessary. IU recently moved to two outstanding in fall (summer admission only), but both have to be completed by end of fall term/December.

There is no downside I am aware of when a candidate has the maximum or fewer prerequisites outstanding. What this means is, mathematically, each completed prerequisite counts more in the sense that each course makes up a higher percentage of the overall prerequisite GPA. So for candidates whose GPA is not as competitive, completing all prerequisites with strong, and improving, grades is a good idea.

For those who have strong cumulative and prerequisite GPAs, obviously another A is not going to make much of a difference. But an A with a moderate prerequisite GPA could "move the needle" more.

It sounds like you have a strong preparation. I would not worry about having one prerequisite outstanding. In our process we have many applicants in this situation. This did not factor into our admission decision when that prerequisite could be completed in the spring term before summer enrollment.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Mr. Morrison,

Thank you so much for taking the time to come here and help us.

I have a somewhat unusual situation and I don't know how I should explain it to admissions officers. When I first went to college (over ten years ago) I only last two semesters and I was a truly, truly terrible student. My overall GPA was 1.53 and my second semester GPA was a .53. I didn't know it at the time, but I was suffering from depression. I had a lot of emotional issues stemming from being repeatedly abused as a child. I spent the next few years drinking, working odd jobs, and doing a little writing, which I has some success with. When I was in my late 20s I entered rehab, went into therapy, and now I feel much better and am five years sober. I re-entered college and pulled my GPA up above a 3.0 and have some extremely competitive standardized test scores to boot.

My question is, how should I explain these blank years (and that first stint at college) to interviewers? It's a very uncomfortable topic for me to talk about with anyone. I feel like if I were totally honest it would turn them off, given recidivism rates for persons such as myself. However, I don't know that being evasive is going to help me, either. I was thinking about just saying something to the effect that I had some personal issues when I was 18 and that I had decided to pursue writing but it just didn't work out. However, if I were to respond this way I suspect that my discomfort with the topic will show and the interviewer will glean that I'm hiding something. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again.

@NeeChee:

Thanks for your question. It seems to me that you are assuming interviews that may not yet have been offered. What you need to focus on is improving your application such that your prior performance is minimized. You can't change the past, but only move forward. Your username is rather appropriate given your back story.

You may meet the minimum cumulative requirements, but as many posters have indicated, OT admission is becoming increasingly competitive. Your strategy is not so different from others, namely improving your cumulative and prerequisite GPAs as much as possible, writing strong personal statements, good GREs, and cultivating LORs. It sounds like you've done the non-academic stuff well. I don't believe you mentioned OT observation, which is required for most programs and essential.

You need to be able to answer the number 1 question if granted an interview, which is why you want to become an OT. The second question is how have you prepared yourself to enter the program and profession.

Your past performance may or may not come up in an interview, but you should be prepared to answer questions related to your performance. I do not believe going into your tragic history in great detail is appropriate. Something that indicates your early performance was due to ongoing interpersonal struggles with family may be appropriate. You can certainly say that these are sensitive topics. What's more helpful is explaining how you got yourself on track, recognized that OT was for you, and how you've prepared yourself.

As Nietzsche might say, you've gone through terrible experiences only to truly experience a happy life.

Best wishes,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Just wanted to let studentdoctor.net folks know that the IU MSOT program will be holding an Open House on Friday, September 27th. RSVP is required, and the registration form can be found here: http://shrs.iupui.edu/forms/rsvp/ot-openhouse.html.

Location: Riley Hospital Outpatient Center, Indianapolis Indiana

Agenda:
12:30 pm Sign-In at Riley Outpatient Center Lilly Auditorium
1 pm Welcome and Introductions
1:40 pm Admissions Overview
2 pm Financial Aid/Scholarship Information
2:20 pm Student Panel with Questions & Answers
2:45 pm Program Summary
3:10 pm Depart for Coleman Hall
3:15 pm Four OT Experiential Activities, including:
Activities of Daily Living and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
Driving Simulation/BTE
Occupations of Infants and Children Course Laboratory Experience
Coleman CAVERN Walk-Through
5:10 pm Question & Answer Session, Riley Outpatient Center Auditorium

Current college students and graduates welcome; guests are also (limit 2).

If questions, contact me at [email protected] or 317-274-7238.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

do you know how many people you are planning on interviewing this year indianaOT?

On average, what are the stats of a competitive applicant?

(Cumulative GPA, science GPA, GRE scores, observation hours, extra-curricular activities, etc.)

@ExceptionalSea:

Thanks for your message. Full details on our admission process are here: http://shrs.iupui.edu/occupational_therapy/admissions/. We do have a correction, however. The IU MSOT program plans to interview the most well-qualified 72 applicants to the program. The website currently indicates 75, but that will be corrected shortly.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@jessjlstar:

Thanks for your question. From it I am inferring you are asking about the IU MSOT program at IUPUI in Indianapolis. Let me say that we only review the following items:

1. Cumulative undergraduate GPA, including any graduate course used as a prerequisite.
2. Prerequisite GPA for those prerequisite courses we list.
3. Observation hours completed and verified by an OT or OTA (12 required, split among at least 3 different settings, as documented by our form).
4. Application to IUPUI including the supplementary documents (prerequisite form, checklist).

We do not review GRE scores or letters of recommendation, or personal statements.

Based on the above, for those applicants that are minimally qualified, we will calculate an admission interview score. The most well qualified applicants will be invited to interview. Should we have declines, we'll fill the 72 positions with additional candidates. Those 72 will interview on campus with us December 7th (Saturday).

Upon completion of the interview we will create an interview score. We will also request official transcripts showing fall (2013 in this case) grades awarded. These will be due to our office by January 20th. All 72 applicants will be asked to provide transcripts. We will then calculate a score based on the additional academic data and interview. The most well-qualified 36 will be invited into the class, and we will have an alternate list.

The minimum GPA, both cumulative and prerequisite, is 3.2 for consideration. Those with 3.2 or close are unlikely to be competitive. Recent enrolled classes averaged about 3.7 cumulative, 3.9 prerequisite GPA. Of course, this is an average. Some had higher scores, some had lower scores. Individual consultation regarding your profile may be requested at [email protected]. Submit a prerequisite course completion form, filled out, along with unofficial transcript copies.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

I am wondering how withdrawn courses are viewed during the admissions process. Is there a point where an applicant has too many Ws? Also, does the reason behind a W change how they are viewed? Is this something that would be asked during an interview if an interview is offered?

@RedHeadOT:

Thanks for your question. Excessive withdrawals may cause admission committees to raise a red flag, but I would say this is highly variable among programs.

Personally, and for the OT program at Indiana University, we ascribe no meaning to a W on a transcript. There are dozens of reasons for withdrawals. Some are academic, some personal, and others due to illness, family issues, etc. So there is no one meaning that programs can realistically ascribe to a W on a transcript, or even a set of Ws.

I would say that one should be prepared to generally discuss any significant periods of W grades, such as 1 or more semesters sequentially. Often these are due to health reasons, and that's all that should be shared. So let's say a candidate was in an accident and wasn't able to attend classes. Ws for a term. Came back too early, re-injured herself, and had to withdraw a second semester. That's all the explanation most programs will want or need.

In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but know that an "excessive" number could lead to a question.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Josh, this thread is great! But where were you when I applied a few years ago? lol

I've since finished OT school but just wanted to say thanks for making this thread.

@BowlofSunshine:

Appreciate your feedback! Please do refer any potential OT applicants to the forum and thread. I'm doing all I can to help pre-OT students make good decisions on application and admission, regardless of whether they choose Indiana University or not.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Yes I am also very happy to see an admissions director on this forum. It makes asking questions so much easier for students. I also wish that I had someone like you when I was going through this process. You are giving prospective students such a great gift....people notice:

Appreciate the feedback, OTtoBe2013. The thread has been rather under-utilized, and I don't quite know why that is.

As an update for those interested in the Indiana University MSOT program, our application deadline is November 1. Full admission details are here: http://shrs.iupui.edu/occupational_therapy/admissions/.

In addition, we are holding an on-campus Open House on September 27. Information available here: http://events.iupui.edu/event/?event_id=9150. If you are interested, you'll need to RSVP soon! It's a half-day event and we expect attendees to attend the entire time due to the nature of the event with OT experientials and interaction with students and faculty.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

I have an undergraduate gpa of 2.96, but am currently enrolled in a Masters of Science in Kinesiology program. Would my graduate gpa count towards my cumulative?

Well then, let's make this interesting. :)

2 part question:

1) Let's merge another thread into this one: does being male help one get into OT school?
2) Since I anticipate part of the answer to the above (school-specific): if the university states its intent to include diverse student populations, does this include males?

Some other questions: how far under the avg. GPA are schools willing to go if a GRE is fairly high to the comparative avg. for the school?
How many missing pre-reqs is too many when applying?
Will it hurt if we are in a menial job, especially considering the economy? I have been out of school for a few years and had to take a job to help put my wife through her undergraduate degree.

Don't take silence as people not appreciating this gesture. If they're like me, they're up in it with prereqs and the application process. Thanks!

@OT310:

The policies vary by program. For Indiana University, we only consider undergraduate GPA but include any graduate course that may have been used as a prerequisite. I suggest viewing the websites of those programs to which you'd like to apply and looking at the admissions policies, FAQs, etc. If the answer is not available online, politely inquire.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@Kidamnesiac:

Thanks for your message.

1. The answer depends on the program. I have not seen programs explicitly favor male applicants with application bonus points. The fact is, most programs receive more well-qualified female applicants than male applicants. I cannot speculate on the reasons, but I can tell you that the AOTA is interested in the gender balance of the profession. IU admitted more men in 2013 than in previous years, and they all seem to be doing well.

2. Again, individual program policies vary. Programs may not be willing to share with you their admission formula but I do think it's a fair question to ask if any preferences exist and how if certain populations are preferred about how much weight is given to that factor.

3. I think you're looking at the "GPA" question in a way that is different from how IU, and I would say many, programs view it. What programs are looking for are the most well qualified individuals based on their admission criteria. Certain factors are more heavily weighted in the process. But it's not necessarily a matter of an equal weighting, such that a better performance in X area "outweighs" a poorer performance in Z area.

4. Depends on the program. Too many is one more than the stipulated limit.

5. Regarding current employment, I actually think it's not that relevant. We are interested in the most well qualified people, and that typically has to do with OT-related experience and observation, academic factors, and interviews. It is not uncommon for one partner to support another when in college, and this is easily explained. We have dozens of applicants who come from other careers.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Josh, thanks for the replies! I hope that IU has a great incoming crop to choose from! If my wife didn't abhor the cold, I would definitely take a look at the program. It sounds top notch!

This is an amazing thread!

So here's my question:

What should my goal be as to observation hours? I currently have about 25 in an in-patient rehab setting, 6 in pediatrics, 3 in outpatient neurology. These were all directly observing OTs. I also work about 20-30 hours a week as an aide in a PT clinic, and volunteer with an SLP helping to set up a therapeutic riding center.

I plan to work on acquiring more direct OT observation hours, but am I at a disadvantage since many of my hours are with PTs or SLPs?

I am currently taking my last couple pre-requisite courses and many of my applications are due in December so I don't have a lot of time to gather more observation hours and I want to know how much this will hurt me.

Thank you so much for your time and help!

@WorkingHard16:

Happy to help, WH. I actually do not think there should be a limit or a "magic number" to obtain in terms of observation hours. What IU prefers and what I think a lot of programs like to see, is a variety of observation experiences. No applicant has ever been an OT. Some may be OTAs, but they work in one or maybe two practice settings. So a diversity of observation opens one's eyes to the variety in OT practice, which is a good thing for interviews and for your commitment to the profession.

I actually think you can turn the PT and SLP experience into a positive by saying that you are more familiar with rehabilitation as an umbrella in health care and are familiar with the duties of PTs and SLPs. You've also observed them enough to know that you prefer OT, for the following reasons....

As long as you meet the minimum requirements I do not think you have a problem. Some programs weigh number of hours in the admission decision, but for IU it's more of a check-off requirement to ensure you know something about the OT field before you enter.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you for holding this thread for us! I have a question: If a school is asking "what factors/individuals influenced you to want to attend our program?" would it be bad to include financial reasons if a good public program is cheap as well? Of course there are other factors such as the program having a good rep and me liking it when I visited the school, but I was wondering if including a financial reason would make me seem cheap or level headed?

Again thank you for your advice!

Hello! I would like to know how well students coming from other fields are accepted into OT.

I'm currently finishing my BS in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology, and don't know much about academic requirements or admissions standards for OT.

Thankfully I have a 4.0 and tons of clinic-related experience to back me up! Thank you for your help.

@mreowskis:

Thanks for your question, and I apologize for the delay in response.

I do not advise mentioning cost at any time. Cost is a practical, but not an academic or programmatic rationale. No one wants to be told they're the top choice because they are cheaper than another program. Please emphasize program strengths, such as fieldwork, faculty excellence (in areas such as X, Y, Z), campus life and feel, etc. Being inexpensive is not, in my opinion, a great rationale.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@BrianaGrace17:

Thanks for your note.

No student goes into entry-level OT program having a background in OT at least at a professional level. There may be some OT Assistants that apply, but those are so-called paraprofessional positions.

For Indiana University, and for many other programs, undergraduate major is not relevant to the admission process. Because OT draws on a variety of skill sets, there is no preferred or recommended undergraduate major. You've done great in your program and if you have all the prerequisites, you should be academically competitive.

I would encourage you to spend some time in a variety of OT practice settings, including throughout the lifespan, if you have not already done so. OT is a broad field with a lot of options - you'll want to have some sense of that when applying.

Best of luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi I was wondering if it would be better to send a generic reference letter from an OT, or no letter at all from an OT.

A couple of the schools I am applying to want a reference letter from an OT. However, I am in a bind because I started my observation hours late. (My mistake, I regret it so much!) I asked the one OT I observed for a letter and he said he would be willing to do it but that he does not recommend it because all I did was observe there. He said the letter would not be very detailed, more on the generic side, that I was very motivated, etc.

I cannot get a letter from the other OT I am going to shadow because I cannot start with her until Nov. and based on the time I would need to get to know her and give her to write it, I wouldn't be able to get one in time to apply.

Since he does not recommend it, should I not include a letter from an OT altogether? or just take this letter because it is all I have really?

@tub54228:

Thanks for your question. The guidelines for LOR is that they should be specific and meaningful to the candidate. They should not be generic, should not spend half the page talking about a reference's credentials, or reciting materials that are available on a transcript.

Please follow application instructions explicitly. Programs that require a LOR from a practicing OT really want to see a letter from an OT. Not providing such a letter would be grounds for denial of an application without further review.

So what I suggest you do is work with the OT to draft the letter, and spend additional time with him and provide a broader understanding of your background, interests, and the things you've done to prepare for OT school that may not appear on a personal statement or in other materials.

Your situation is a good one that others can learn from; it is always better to accrue observation experiences early and ensure you develop longer-term relationships with OTs who may be your LOR writers.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,
Another question for you. Say you get applications from two people, male and female, who have the same address (but different last names). They also have some observation sites in common. Would you gather that they might be a couple, and if so, would that have any potential negative effect on accepting them both (given that they are both competitive applicants)? Would there be any worry that accepting a couple into the same cohort (which tend to be fairly small) has the potential for unwanted drama? Obviously it wouldn't factor into any official review/score of the applications but I'm wondering if there would be any subconscious desire to avoid that in the admissions committee members.
I know you can't speak for any other schools, I'm just curious about your opinion.
Thanks!

@rcludo:

Thanks for writing. The status of applicants with regard to relationships is not relevant to an admission decision. It is not the business of an admission committee how individuals are partnered. I doubt the admissions staff will notice or give it much thought, considering the number of applications we receive.

Only the things that matter in terms of admission are considered, and the committees tend to do their best in not considering factors that are irrelevant. Every class has its own peculiarities and those aren't knowable until the class starts. Of all the things to worry about, this is rather minor.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello :)

I recently applied to Brenau University's MSOT program and was invited for an interview next month. The interview process includes a timed writing sample (30 minutes). Are there any pointers you can give for this part of the process? I enjoy writing but have always found timed essays difficult.

Thanks so much for maintaining this thread!

Kari

My question is along the lines of the previous post. What is your best advice for preparing for in person interviews? I've obviously been through job interviews but I'm wondering how an interview for graduate school differs?

@khosford:

Thanks for your question; my apologies for the delay in response.

If you have the question ahead of time, I would practice writing. If not, I would take a couple of minutes to really understand what the questions is asking and the rationale behind the question. Then I would sketch out on another sheet of paper an outline. Introduction - Body - Conclusion.

So let's say the question is about a human service activity you've been involved with. I'd outline it something like this:

Introduction - Human service activities are essential to providing the background needed for OTs, as OT is a health service profession where there is significant patient interaction. Practicing people skills such as listening, empathy, and collaboration are important in OT practice.

Body - My involvement with human services has been extensive, including <example A>, <example B>, <example C>. The most impactful experience I have had in service has been when I and my group <did something fantastic that helped a lot of people or made a significant difference in one person's life, which had positive effects that were lasting...>.

Conclusion - Based on my experiences in human service activities, I have learned <a, b, c> and have grown and matured to understand <d, e, f>. These are experiences I carry with me during interactions with friends, family, and others, ....

Good luck! If you take a couple of minutes to think and plan, you'll likely do a lot better, and it will give you a chance to relax.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]