Ask an OMS (Osteopathic Med Student) II Anything

pdxhopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a bit of background, I spent some years in academic biomed research before going to med school. Had some issues due to medical problems in undergrad, but redeemed myself with a self-postbac and high MCAT.

I'm particularly interested in the place of women in medicine (it gets complex, from personal experience) and the health care system in general, and hope -at least at this point- to go into internal medicine.

So... fire away! :D

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to answer them all, but:

Where did you go to undergrad?
How did you pick it? ^
What did you major in in undergrad?

What were your basic stats when applying to med school?
How did you decide to go the DO route vs MD, DDS, DPM?

What specialty to you hope to pursue?
What advice do you have for a senior in high school?

I went to a small liberal arts college in my home state of Oregon with a great science program (I'd prefer not to name it, just to keep a little online anonymity). Said science program was a major factor, but I was also going through some pretty big health issues during undergrad so being closer to home and at a school where I wasn't going to be walking two miles between classes were also important. I probably would have chosen a more urban setting if I'd been healthy, but I wasn't. I was a bio major, psych minor.

I applied some years after graduation with a 3.3 GPA (see above re: health problems in undergrad) having aced a retake and a couple other upper division science classes once I was in better health and a 34 MCAT. I also worked as a research assistant, though I didn't get to publish. I knew I wanted to be a physician, and while I feel confident I could have succeeded at an MD school I knew they were less likely to look past that GPA (and, my AACOMAS GPA was higher anyway, since they factor in only the last retake of a class). I was also interested in learning osteopathic manipulation, which while there are...questionable...aspects ::cough::cranial::cough:: I've found others really helpful in relieving pain or freeing up motion. One DO I know says the MD students he's taught might be slightly more knowledgeable, but that many seem afraid to actually touch a patient into intern year.

I'm hoping to go into internal medicine, since I think I'll like the variety. And, if I find I do want to specialize more, there are a lot of subspecialties under the IM banner I could pursue - cardiology, rheumatology, etc.

My advice? Have some fun, but keep your nose clean. Don't get so caught up in grades a B+ is cause for a full mental breakdown, but recognize your course will be smoother if you do your best and you'll be better prepared. Balance. Most of all, be a considerate and ethical person. That'll serve you wherever you wind up, and if you do go into medicine one of the first things anyone evaluating you for a residency slot or a job is going to ask themselves is 'Can I work with this person day in and day out for the next however many years?'