Ask interviewer for feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkknight9000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is it OK to ask interviewer for feedback about mistakes made in interview after being waitlisted?
2. Would it be better to send dean or interviewer a letter of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

a letter of interest should go to the admissions committee, not the dean or interviewer.
i think you can email the admissions office afterwards if you're rejected to see why you were rejected and how you can improve
i don't think you should ask the interviewer for feedback.

Generally schools won't give you feedback if you're waitlisted, and many schools won't give you feedback at all even if you're rejected.

Don't ask your interviewer for feedback, and definitely don't email the dean. All correspondence should go to the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally schools won't give you feedback if you're waitlisted, and many schools won't give you feedback at all even if you're rejected.

Don't ask your interviewer for feedback, and definitely don't email the dean. All correspondence should go to the admissions office.
Agree. Completely. The interviewer may not even know what became of your application. Contacting them in this context is, at best, awkward; at worst, accusatory.

1. Is it OK to ask interviewer for feedback about mistakes made in interview after being waitlisted?
2. Would it be better to send dean or interviewer a letter of interest?

Some schools will do application counseling if you are rejected. other than that, I agree with previous posters. Do not contact the interviewer. Wait it out, send application updates if you have anything else to add, and address any such updates or LOIs to the admissions office.

Nope. We're specifically told not to give any tip-offs that might give false hope. In an MMI or groups interview, one person's comments would also be worthless, because the AdCom or Dean might overrule that interviewer.

also ask the Admissions Dean for feedback, but ONLY if you get rejected or wait-listed.

Is it OK to ask interviewer for feedback about mistakes made in interview after being waitlisted?

Nope. We're specifically told not to give any tip-offs that might give false hope. In an MMI or groups interview, one person's comments would also be worthless, because the AdCom or Dean might overrule that interviewer.

also ask the Admissions Dean for feedback, but ONLY if you get rejected or wait-listed.

Is it OK to ask interviewer for feedback about mistakes made in interview after being waitlisted?

Same question but wanted to clarify.

So it is OK to call the admissions office and ask for feedback if I'm waitlisted/rejected in the middle of the cycle? Would that reflect poorly on me if it's at a school that I am waitlisted at? Thanks!

Same question but wanted to clarify.

So it is OK to call the admissions office and ask for feedback if I'm waitlisted/rejected in the middle of the cycle? Would that reflect poorly on me if it's at a school that I am waitlisted at? Thanks!
Don't do it.
If the cycle ends badly, and the school offers such counseling, do it then.
Even so, such advice is rarely entirely frank.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do it.
If the cycle ends badly, and the school offers such counseling, do it then.
Even so, such advice is rarely entirely frank.

Thanks for the response. Is it because it's too much of a hassle/they don't have time for it? Or is it supposed to be a secret? I'm always looking for ways to improve myself...and if there's something wrong with my interview technique, I'd rather know now than to keep making the same mistakes. Thanks again!

Thanks for the response. Is it because it's too much of a hassle/they don't have time for it? Or is it supposed to be a secret? I'm always looking for ways to improve myself...and if there's something wrong with my interview technique, I'd rather know now than to keep making the same mistakes. Thanks again!
You can get honest feedback from skilled mock interviewers.
Schools have little to gain and much to lose by disclosing how the interview went. It's not so much that the outcome of a weak interview is secret, it's more likely to be boring, actually!
The majority of people who are not accepted after interview are just not quite as appealing as the ones accepted. How do you tell someone that? What good would it do?

Reactions: 1 users
Or how would tell someone that they were "scary"? Or appeared to be misogynistic? Or full of themselves? Or babbling idiots? Seemed immature?

A lot easier to say "you don't quite fit the mission of our school".

You can get honest feedback from skilled mock interviewers.
Schools have little to gain and much to lose by disclosing how the interview went. It's not so much that the outcome of a weak interview is secret, it's more likely to be boring, actually!
The majority of people who are not accepted after interview are just not quite as appealing as the ones accepted. How do you tell someone that? What good would it do?

Reactions: 1 user
Good points, thank you both for your time!