Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey thanks for the reply. I can definitely see the "high strung and always pushing" personality in surgeons, now that you mention it. When they want something, they always want it done right away and done the way they want it. And when something doesn't happen the way they want, they'll call you out and set you straight right then and there (I know from experience haha).

Anyway, so far I've just let it roll off my shoulders and stuck with it because I think surgery is really something I want to do. But, personality wise, maybe I'm not cut out for it. I think I'm too easy going, whatever happens happens, if something doesn't work out the way I want then I'll find another way... etc.

Jalby, do you have any suggestions on specialties that might fit my more laid-back personality? I like procedures, but Anesthesiology isn't really appealing to me at the moment. Anything else I should check out?

There are some forms of sergury that fit a laid back personality. Check out ENT, Urology, and Ophtho. Some other specialties have lots of procedures and it isn't quite the same. Cardiology, Interventional radiology. Even some of radiology has a bunch of simple procedures.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some forms of sergury that fit a laid back personality. Check out ENT, Urology, and Ophtho. Some other specialties have lots of procedures and it isn't quite the same. Cardiology, Interventional radiology. Even some of radiology has a bunch of simple procedures.

ignore the spelling errors. I really just don't care enough to reread my own posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Jalby is back, but I have a question for Long Dong that I just have to ask. Assuming your profile picture is of you, are you aware that your tattoo is not an image of the Staff of Asclepius (which I imagine you intended), but instead of a caduceus ( the symbol of Hermes, who is the god of mercantile, trickery, etc). Although, perhaps you went to business school prior to med school... I am genuinely curious

Last edited:
I know Jalby is back, but I have a question for Long Dong that I just have to ask. Assuming your profile picture is of you, are you aware that your tattoo is not an image of the Staff of Asclepius (which I imagine you intended), but instead of a caduceus ( the symbol of Hermes, who is the god of mercantile, trickery, etc). Although, perhaps you went to business school prior to med school... I am genuinely curious

Worst question of the month.

Jalby, I'm an IMG who will participate in the 2014 match hopefully. I heard new US med schools were built and there will be more US grads participating in the future matches, do you know in which year this will occur?

Jalby, I'm an IMG who will participate in the 2014 match hopefully. I heard new US med schools were built and there will be more US grads participating in the future matches, do you know in which year this will occur?

New Med schools open all the time. Some of them like UCR got delayed because of funding. I don't think it will affect you that much if a new school is open or not.

Jalby, how do I get better-looking without hitting the gym?

Jalby, how do I get better-looking without hitting the gym?

A few suggestions.

Steriods
A new gay hair dresser
Have a gay guy pick out a new wardrobe
Liposuction
Casually drop in conversations that you are a doctor (this has limits)
Pay a hot girl to go out with you around other girls who are more likely to be in your dating range
Buy a nicer car
Socks don't always have to be worn on feet
Start quoting lines from the movie The Notebook (you don't have to see the movie, just google them)

That's all I got for now. I hope that helps.

Which topping do you prefer on nachos?

Steak. I'm not a real fan of anything healthy, so tomatos, guac, onions, etc, etc are out. SO my ideal nachos would be real cheese (not that liquid stuff), cut up steak, chicken, sour cream, and some beans, but not a lot.

And that is Sharp chedder cheese, not this mild crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a hangover right now.

What's the best way to cure it? And did you ever have a hang over during residency? How did that go?

Jalby, the last time a squirrel looked at me, I blacked out and woke up naked next to a decapitated mountain lion wearing it's head for a hat.

Today a puppy gave me a weird look and I felt a surge of rage and burst into a biker bar and started swinging my battle axe. They're all dead but I was aware of what I was doing this time.

Would you consider this progress or do tiny animals simply brandish their hypnotic powers in different ways?

I have a strong obsession and desire for feet. I think about feet, and only look at people's feet. What do you suggest i do?

Why do most schools have a woman's studies class and not men studies?
Is it because men do not study?

Men's studies is just called 'history'.

No room for second best here!

Women's studies can be interesting, though. You found out stuff that was never first-page news, events that didn't really matter and what some women did to screw women and sometimes men for generations to come, destroy families and create the carjackers, muderers, drug addicts, ******* and wife-beaters of the future.

Again, this road to the crapper was paved with good intentions, with the goal being the improvement of the female condition.

Allrite! Bring on the heat. I can take it. Even the name calling. I will respond using logic, reason, facts, accuracies, historical evidence and morals, so get ready to defend your arguments.

By the way, for those who like name calling, the words are spelled "misogynist " (which means a man who hates women almost as much as they hate each other) and "chauvinist" (look up the definition on that one before you use it); neither of which apply to me, but go ahead.

Last edited:
No room for second best here!

Women's studies can be interesting, though. You found out stuff that was never first-page news, events that didn't really matter and what some women did to screw women and sometimes men for generations to come, destroy families and create the carjackers, muderers, drug addicts, ******* and wife-beaters of the future.

Again, this road to the crapper was paved with good intentions, with the goal being the improvement of the female condition.

Allrite! Bring on the heat. I can take it. Even the name calling. I will respond using logic, reason, facts, accuracies, historical evidence and morals, so get ready to defend your arguments.

By the way, for those who like name calling, the words are spelled “misogynist “ (which means a man who hates women almost as much as they hate each other) and “chauvinist” (look up the definition on that one before you use it); neither of which apply to me, but go ahead.

boring

I also don't appreciate having someone who joined SDN before I did on my other thread.......

I also don't appreciate having someone who joined SDN before I did on my other thread.......

Only by four months.
Don't worry. I appreciate the company.
Youth is wasted on the young.

Damn! When did I become such a cliché?

This has probably been answered already, but what's your medical specialty?

Jalby, assuming little debt from school, what are your thoughts on being an independent contractor?

Jalby, assuming little debt from school, what are your thoughts on being an independent contractor?

I really don't have any thoughts on that subject.

When should I start studying for Step 1? (Finally got accepted to NYMC! yay)
And what score would I need to get?
I want to be a CT surgeon in California (SF/SD/LA).

This isn't stuff you need to be worrying about. Enjoy your final year of college/gap year.

This isn't stuff you need to be worrying about. Enjoy your final year of college/gap year.

How long of a vacation should I take before medical school? I was thinking 3 months in South America.

Right now. Quit reading this post and open first aid.

Honestly, so to the Step 1 forum here on SDN. See what they recommend as the best books. Buy those books. If you really want to start studying, I would recommend reading BRS physiology about 2-3 times before you start. You can pick that stuff up and you will need to know it. Or, if you majored in Biochemistry, read the biochem book since you already know a lot of it.

Now, as far as being a CT surgeon in Cali, CT surgery isn't what it used to be. You will probbaly change. But to be honest, coming from NYMC, you probably will not be able to get a surgery spot in Cali. Maybe huntington or a place like that. They normally take local med schools or places with bigger names. All the more reason to get as good a score as you can on step one.

Jalby, I'm an IMG that's currently studying for step 1 and aiming for the 2014 match. This GME talk has started to worry me and I would like to know how much of an effect this will have on me come 2014. I would like to know what you think will happen in the near future.

Jalby, I'm an IMG that's currently studying for step 1 and aiming for the 2014 match. This GME talk has started to worry me and I would like to know how much of an effect this will have on me come 2014. I would like to know what you think will happen in the near future.
I have noooo idea what you mean by GME. Graduate Medical Education???

Which medical school did you attend?

How handsome are you on a scale from one to ten with ten being the best as rated by women?

How many female medical students or nurses have you seduced with your smoldering eyes and winsome personality?

Jalby,

Which specialties have the hottest people?
What did you think of the general personality types of all the other surgical specialties you were involved with?

When are you going to take over Georgetown admissions?

Jalby,

I'm a 2nd year, and wondered where I stood on the totem pole? I also wondered if Doritos were still good once you become a resident?

On a side note, will I still have time to play WoW when I'm in my PGY's?

Which medical school did you attend?

How handsome are you on a scale from one to ten with ten being the best as rated by women?

How many female medical students or nurses have you seduced with your smoldering eyes and winsome personality?

I went to USC medical school

I really have no idea. Let me start this next part by saying I am a huge supporter of gay rights. Some of my best friends are gay. But I feel that by rating myself in handsomeness that would be gay. My fiance is a 10, so therefor I must be kind of high.

I have no idea. I tend to like black women above all others, so it kind of sucks.

Yes. There are talks about cutting funds or even residency slots in the future.

I am all for it. I really don't think the government should be paying hospitals to train FMG's. Essentially hospitals treat it like free labor. There should really only be enough residency spots for every US grad and a couple extra for american IMG's. If there is a certain need for a particular specialty, that should be temporarily increased.

Jalby,

Which specialties have the hottest people?
What did you think of the general personality types of all the other surgical specialties you were involved with?

When are you going to take over Georgetown admissions?

This one is easy. Pediatricians are the hottest people. Generally speaking, all the nice good looking girls who were smart enough to get into medical school but had enough personalty and looks to get invited to non-medical school parties and hence didn't kill themselves to get AOA end up in Pediatrics. The ugly women who don't have a social life because no one would want a social life end up in more competative fields like surgery/derm/etc etc.

Surgery: Alpha male *****holes
Ortho: see above, but all taller males
ENT/Urology: not really in the hospital much
Ophtho: is this considered a subspecialty
Alright, I am bored with this topic

I'm still trying to raise a suitable army to overthrow the admissions department. That hard part of the entire strategy and Georgetown admissions best asset is that fact that it is in our nations capital. So an army marching in the area will raise a lot of suspicions and scrabled jets. I'm working on a solution to this problem. Just yesterday I donated to Obama.