Ask LizzyM (Almost) Anything 2012 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there! :) I've been following this thread and have a few questions that I don't think overlap. Thanks a ton!

1. I participated in a certain performance-based sport all throughout junior high/high school. As I progressed, coaches would choose select athletes to help with the younger girls, coreograph routines, and teach them. We never used the term "captain," but I *did* coreograph and teach to my own division/the team I performed with as well (basically what a captain would usually do). Once I graduated, my coach also invited me to serve as a paid assistant coach to my old team and I was eventually promoted to head coach of my own team in a different city. Would this qualify as leadership?

Yes.

Either way, I'll be writing about my involvement as an EC, but because I was chosen to teach and coach my peers, I feel it was also leadership... I'm only nervous because when I was transitioned a head coach position, I did youth coaching so then it was no longer girls my own age. Should I split up the positions? (Wow, sorry, this is so verbose and hard to explain, lol.)

You can break this into different roles: first athletics as an athlete, then leadership as an assistant coach, and then with the youngsters, employment (or volunteer,non-clinical)
2. For applicants who have ONE borderline measure in their application -- say they have a solid GPA and satisfactory activities but a ~30 MCAT -- is there any number of schools you would suggest they apply to? I know it's unlikely I would get in to your school with my MCAT, but in general... I'd rather go big and apply to many schools WITHIN RANGE (using the MSAR) to lower the chance of reapplication but do you think there's a point of diminishing returns?

Compare your gpa (10)+MCAT (called the LizzyM score) to the average gpa(10)+avg MCAT of the schools you are considering. Apply to up to 15 schools that are at or below yoru LizzyM score and that are friendly to OOS students. Don't bother with the historically black medical schools or the PuertoRican schools unless you have ties to those communities. You could consider 3-5 reach schools but I wouldn't recommend going beyond 20 schools. Too many schools and the secondary burden becomes too much and you don't do as good a job as you should on each one.
3. Reading over the personal statement thread you posted, the main purpose should obviously be WHY MEDICINE. However, one of my friends who interviews students suggested also arguing WHY ME... Would it be appropriate to include interesting aspects about myself and upbringing that I think would contribute to the diversity of the school and strengthen my ability to work within diverse settings? I wouldn't say these things shaped my path to medicine as much as they could have (I was very blessed to divert quite a few obstacles most people with similar situations might not have been able to), but I do think they make me a better candidate if that makes sense.

Write what you want and get someone with some experience read it and give you feedback. The worst that can happen is that you rip it up and start over.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the average amount of shadowing you see in accepted applicants at your institution?

If all the hours are within 6 months of applying, is that frowned upon?

I have a good amount of dentistry shadowing hours back when I was on that path. Should I include it?

What's the average amount of shadowing you see in accepted applicants at your institution?

I don't look at hours... just Yes or No. But other people do notice number of hours but I really don't pay much attention.

If all the hours are within 6 months of applying, is that frowned upon?

For me it is Yes or No.

I have a good amount of dentistry shadowing hours back when I was on that path. Should I include it?

Sure. It also helps you answer the "why medicine" question and gives you another career to discuss if you are asked if you considered other career before you decided on medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi LizzyM,

I was wondering if/how going to a Canadian med school (specifically McGill) would affect my chances at matching for residency in the US. I'm a US citizen and completed undergrad in the US, but am considering McGill as an option if I get in. Thanks for your help!

I have nothing to do with residencies so I can't answer that question for you.

I don't look at hours... just Yes or No. But other people do notice number of hours but I really don't pay much attention.

For me it is Yes or No.

Sure. It also helps you answer the "why medicine" question and gives you another career to discuss if you are asked if you considered other career before you decided on medicine.

Awesome, thanks!

Sigh... the answer to this question is something I struggle with.... I feel that people with stigmitizing conditions including drug abuse are deserving of privacy. He's your father and if you choose to list his name on the application, there it is. Although the information in the application is confidential, in the unlikely event that someone who knows your father, or knows another of your family members will learn something that they might not have otherwise known. I had this happen to me when the grandchild of an acquaintance applied and wrote some rather surprising information about the reason her parents' marriage broke up.

If you can write with a euphemism, that your father has long suffered a chronic illness and he became severely ill and needed constant care... You can always talk about it in an interview but in writing it might be better to be more circumspect.

Thanks for the help Lizzy, I've been struggling with this question. This is a very central theme in my app though, would it be ok to go generic with saying it is a family member?

I see a lot of questions asking if graduate GPA (non-SMP) can make up for a poorer undergrad GPA, and your answer has been no, generally there's some amount of grade inflation, etc that makes graduate GPA kind of an unknown quantity.

Does the same apply to the question of whether a poorer graduate GPA can hurt an applicant with a better uGPA? I did my graduate work in a rather non-traditional manner where I took 18-20 graduate level engineering credits per quarter, for a couple discontinuous quarters (in addition to credits for in-house coursework at my company). As a result my gGPA is about 0.2 points below my uGPA. Will this hurt me?

Hi LizzyM,

How do you guys view withdrawals (is it minor or do you look at it more seriously)?

What kind of attributes (character, extracurriculars, scores) make the applicant stand out most?

I see a lot of questions asking if graduate GPA (non-SMP) can make up for a poorer undergrad GPA, and your answer has been no, generally there's some amount of grade inflation, etc that makes graduate GPA kind of an unknown quantity.

Does the same apply to the question of whether a poorer graduate GPA can hurt an applicant with a better uGPA? I did my graduate work in a rather non-traditional manner where I took 18-20 graduate level engineering credits per quarter, for a couple discontinuous quarters (in addition to credits for in-house coursework at my company). As a result my gGPA is about 0.2 points below my uGPA. Will this hurt me?

It isn't something I see often enough to know whether it will or it won't.

Not sure what your question is... My nephew was diagnosed and treated for asthma as a 2 year old and that was >20 years ago so your story confuses me a bit but I'm not an expert in pediatric asthma.

Have you had any experiences other than with your children? how do you picture yourself working 15 years from now? What would you be doing? Why does that appeal to you?
You can diagnose a younger kid with asthma if 1) he had asthma attack and was hospitalized 2) you can teach 2 year old kid to inhale and exhale with all his lungs when it is asked to ( good luck with it!) Otherwise, you should wait until a new testing will be devoloped. BTW some reserach in new testing for young kids with astham is doing right now at Bethesda, Maryland. Anyway, it wasn't a question. I know that at the interview most of the questions are like you just asked me: where do you see yourself in 15 years? why medicine? etc. I see myself running my on lab and seing patients. However, i have problem answering the question why i decided to become a doctor because honestly I decided become a doctor after seeing all struggles kids with asthma go through just because not enough research in this area was done. However, after 3 months shadowing gen surgeon and working in different labs my interests are not in asthma and inflamatory diseases now. However my initial desicion was done at that time when my kid was going through all his struggles. Question is should I talk about it my personal statement?

Do adcoms hesitate when trying to admit more than a certain number of applicants from each unique undergrad institution? My honors program class at my university has over 20 pre-meds that are very competitive cookie-cutter applicants and it would be reasonable to say that atleast 15 very competitive cookie cutters (3.9+ GPA, 35+ MCAT) will apply from my institution as a whole. If all these applicants applied to one particular med school, would the adcoms still admit based on merit compared to the rest of the population or be more selective from the applicants coming from that particular undergrad institution?

I'm currently a freshman in college. What can I do this summer to make myself a better medical school candidate for the future?

Also, does the fact that I will have had 4 years of personal training with a certification better my chances of medical school?

Thanks,
Zack

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi LizzyM,

How do you guys view withdrawals (is it minor or do you look at it more seriously)?

It depends on how many. If more than two and more than one term, it starts to look like there might be a problem.

What kind of attributes (character, extracurriculars, scores) make the applicant stand out most?

grades and scores well above the school's average stand out. Passion, curiosity, teamwork, willingness to work hard, humility, compassion, enthusiasm, charm/charisma/sparkle. It almost doesn't matter what you do if you do it with enthusiasm and not because you are "supposed" to do it.

You can diagnose a younger kid with asthma if 1) he had asthma attack and was hospitalized 2) you can teach 2 year old kid to inhale and exhale with all his lungs when it is asked to ( good luck with it!) Otherwise, you should wait until a new testing will be devoloped. BTW some reserach in new testing for young kids with astham is doing right now at Bethesda, Maryland. Anyway, it wasn't a question. I know that at the interview most of the questions are like you just asked me: where do you see yourself in 15 years? why medicine? etc. I see myself running my on lab and seing patients. However, i have problem answering the question why i decided to become a doctor because honestly I decided become a doctor after seeing all struggles kids with asthma go through just because not enough research in this area was done. However, after 3 months shadowing gen surgeon and working in different labs my interests are not in asthma and inflamatory diseases now. However my initial desicion was done at that time when my kid was going through all his struggles. Question is should I talk about it my personal statement?

Someone you know in real life who is at mayo, IIRC, has already told you not to mention your kids in your personal statement. I agree. What more do you want us to say.

Some experiences with family members going through some struggles with chronic illnesses piqued your interest in medicine.

You've tested this interest in medicine through shadowing and working in labs and you have decided to pursue medicine as a career and see yourself working in laboratory research and patient care.

That's a perfectly reasonable start on a personal statment without getting into details about the exact relationship between you and these "family members".

And yes, my nephew was hospitalized as a little guy. He did beautifully, played a wind instrument in marching band and has done some intense hikes in the back country of Yellowstone, etc as a teen. It can get better.

Do adcoms hesitate when trying to admit more than a certain number of applicants from each unique undergrad institution? My honors program class at my university has over 20 pre-meds that are very competitive cookie-cutter applicants and it would be reasonable to say that atleast 15 very competitive cookie cutters (3.9+ GPA, 35+ MCAT) will apply from my institution as a whole. If all these applicants applied to one particular med school, would the adcoms still admit based on merit compared to the rest of the population or be more selective from the applicants coming from that particular undergrad institution?

We don't keep score by undergrad institution.

Hi LizzyM,

I currently graduated from college with a bachelors in Neurobiology. I however became seriously interested in medicine two years ago and so i've AP-ed out of one physics class, one english class and both biology classes(I did however take alot of upper division biology classes). My GPA is not that high and i'm planning on going into a medical masters program in Texas. With that said, if I only apply with those AP-ed classes, do i still meet the minimum requirements? or Should I take those classes in a Post-bac fashion?

thanks,
James

I'm currently a freshman in college. What can I do this summer to make myself a better medical school candidate for the future?

Work at a job. Almost any job will teach you about responsibility, human nature, team work, communications, etc. If you can get your foot in the door in a volunteer capacity at a hospital or nursing home, go for it. This can take some time so start the ball rolling at least 4 weeks before you wish to begin.

Summer after sophmore year, consider research either at your own campus or at a medical school or reearch university near your home. there are research fellowships that pay a modest stipend to help you cover living expenses if you are staying on campus for research during the summer. Look into getting one.

Also, does the fact that I will have had 4 years of personal training with a certification better my chances of medical school?

No.

Thank you for doing this LizzyM! We will most likely have the budget to bring in a speaker late next year and, if the plan is approved, I hope you will be interested in visiting our college for a talk sometime in the future!

Hi LizzyM,

I currently graduated from college with a bachelors in Neurobiology. I however became seriously interested in medicine two years ago and so i've AP-ed out of one physics class, one english class and both biology classes(I did however take alot of upper division biology classes). My GPA is not that high and i'm planning on going into a medical masters program in Texas. With that said, if I only apply with those AP-ed classes, do i still meet the minimum requirements? or Should I take those classes in a Post-bac fashion?

thanks,
James

I have no idea and I bet the answer varies by school. Buy the MSAR. It is worth the modest cost. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

Given the wide range of time across which an applicant can receive acceptances, if the applicant's safety school only offers a window of 2 weeks to accept/decline an acceptance, how would it be possible for the applicant to even consider applying to other programs that send acceptances later during the cycle?

Given the wide range of time across which an applicant can receive acceptances, if the applicant's safety school only offers a window of 2 weeks to accept/decline an acceptance, how would it be possible for the applicant to even consider applying to other programs that send acceptances later during the cycle?

Up through May 15, you may accept and hold as many offers as you wish. By May 15 you must withdraw from all but one school that has made you an offer but you may remain on as many waitlists as will have you.

After May 15, a school that takes you off its waitlist gives you two weeks to make up your mind (much less if you get the call just days before classes begin). Then you either keep the offer you had or withdraw from that school and accept the newer offer.

So sorry. I value my privacy and I don't make personal appearances.

Anyone LOL'd at the fact that LizzyM is claiming so hard to protect her privacy - yet just drops clue after clue, hint after hint, about her identity?

Lets see:

Clue #1: An elite private school on the east coast

Clue #2: Median MCAT: 36

Clue #3: Median GPA: 3.8+

Harvard, Brown, or Yale.

Anyone LOL'd at the fact that LizzyM is claiming so hard to protect her privacy - yet just drops clue after clue, hint after hint, about her identity?

Lets see:

Harvard, Brown, or Yale.

This post is why we can't have nice things.

Lets see:

Harvard, Brown, or Yale.

You do realize that it is against the TOS to try to give up someone's identity? Drop it

I'm almost positive she's for St. James and that she's actually created that king kong account to draw people in.

HI Lizzy! I interviewed at my top choice recently (DO school) and mentioned to them that if accepted i would go 100% to their school, i saw them write that down. I felt like the interview went well and i really got along and even laughed with my interviewers and sent thank you's after. I still must wait a few weeks for the decision to come in the mail. I'm just worried about getting a wait list (i'm over thinking everything). If you interviewed a student who did well in the interview and would commit 100% to your school but had a lower than average MCAT for your school, what would you do? accept or waitlist? Are they more inclined to accept because they know they will have your money 100%? Thank you! :)

I have two questions on behalf of close relatives.

- Not related to medicine but <deleted as LizzyM never replied>

- My younger sister is a student at Harvard Extension's deliberately-grueling ALB degree program where their strategy is to force you to drop out by assigning insane amount of work and damaging your transcripts - thus making you "pay your dues" for a Harvard degree. So the only time she can focus on pre-med classes is over the summer. But she cannot afford to pay the very expensive Harvard Summer tuition, so she will be forced to take classes at a much cheaper college. The problem is everyone has been advising her to not take classes below Harvard's league and any less expensive college is below Harvard's league. I believe you too said that people should take summer classes at the same league. What are her options, given that she is forced to take classes at a much cheaper college?

Thanks LizzyM!

Last edited:
My very favorite applicant of all time (who got into some amazing schools) was 33. I've heard some reservations expressed when applicants get to 38 or older although I seem to recall that we've matriculated students 10 years older than that on rare occasion (let's face it, those applicants are scarce).

What qualities does this person have that made them your favorite applicant?

Also, how do you feel about Health Corps? Have any of your interviewees done it before? On the note of Health Corps, do med adcoms have opinions on Dr. Oz? If yes, what are they? I always wonder if others in medicine "hate" on his celebrity.

Thanks, LizzyM.

Lets see:
Harvard, Brown, or Yale.

You know, she may selectively and consistently alter specific details to further obscure her identity to mislead those nutters stalking her. As in posting like she's out of the North East at Harvard or Penn, when she's really at Stanford or Wash U.:eek:
Liar.;) It's actually called disinformation.
Who really cares?

Last edited:
1. If an applicant's entire family (mom, dad, siblings, etc.) were to accompany him/her to the applicant's interview, would it be detrimental to his chances? Not into the interview itself, but all the way up to the door, with the applicant's mother loudly wishing him luck as he enters the room in a typical helicopter parent way.

2. How would an applicant who stayed in college as an undergraduate for an unusually long time (i.e., more than 9 or 10 years) while racking up several majors and minors, several high-impact publications, and having a generally outstanding application be looked at?

3. Suppose an outstanding applicant who just finished his interview (which happened to be stellar) farts extremely loudly and vulgarly on his way out. How would that affect his chances?

How much attention do you pay to the undergraduate major?

Also, is shadowing a doctor necessary, or is volunteering at a hospital fine as an alternative?

Would it make an applicant more competitive if he was the president of his fraternity with over a 100 man chapter?

THANK YOU

hi LizzyM!

it seems like you and the rest of the admissions committee read through thousands of applications and spend hours interviewing applicants. i was wondering how important the personal statements and interviews really are. to me, it seems like most applicants probably end up sounding similar at the end of the day. is that true in your experience? how often do personal statements/ interviews end up making or breaking the application?

thanks!

LizzyM, I have a question. What do you call an applicant's LizzyM score when you discuss it with other people? Surely calling it by its SDN name would be a little odd and out of context, and might also give you away to other faculty at your university. I'm wondering because I realized I would have no idea what to call the concept if I discussed it with friends who weren't familiar with SDN, given that I don't want to take the time to explain the name.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

HI Lizzy! I interviewed at my top choice recently (DO school) and mentioned to them that if accepted i would go 100% to their school, i saw them write that down. I felt like the interview went well and i really got along and even laughed with my interviewers and sent thank you's after. I still must wait a few weeks for the decision to come in the mail. I'm just worried about getting a wait list (i'm over thinking everything). If you interviewed a student who did well in the interview and would commit 100% to your school but had a lower than average MCAT for your school, what would you do? accept or waitlist? Are they more inclined to accept because they know they will have your money 100%? Thank you! :)

This sounds like a hypothetical question.... but on that theme:

The interviewer doesn't make the admission decision although the interviewer certainly has a say. It comes down to this: we can admit x% of the applicants we interview. Is this applicant among the top x% of those we've seen taking everything into consideration?

The only time I see the committee swayed by "if I'm admitted I will come here" is when we see someone exceptionally talented who appears headed toward one of our peer institutions due to geography, family connections, etc.

I have two questions on behalf of close relatives.

- Not related to medicine but to academics. <snip>

This is the pre-allo board so this question is not really something I should answer here.

- My younger sister <snip>cannot afford to pay the very expensive Harvard Summer tuition, so she will be forced to take classes at a much cheaper college. The problem is everyone has been advising her to not take classes below Harvard's league and any less expensive college is below Harvard's league. I believe you too said that people should take summer classes at the same league. What are her options, given that she is forced to take classes at a much cheaper college?

I don't of any options that are
  1. as prestigious as Harvard, and
  2. cheap

there are the so-called "Public Ivies" (there's a wikipedia article about them, google it) but I don't know if their out of state tuition is cheap and if they offer summer classes that fit the bill.

What qualities does this person have that made them your favorite applicant?

Courtesy, a sense of fun, a good balance of humility and pride, bootstrap story, flexibility, gratitude, no sense of entitlement, a sincere desire to serve and give back to the community that raised him.

Also, how do you feel about Health Corps? Have any of your interviewees done it before? On the note of Health Corps, do med adcoms have opinions on Dr. Oz? If yes, what are they? I always wonder if others in medicine "hate" on his celebrity.

Thanks, LizzyM.

I have a vague recollection of seeing "Health Corps" this year. I think it is just one more organization that takes students as volunteers.

I've never heard any adcom comment on Dr. Oz. I guess we don't have time for daytime TV.

1. If an applicant's entire family (mom, dad, siblings, etc.) were to accompany him/her to the applicant's interview, would it be detrimental to his chances? Not into the interview itself, but all the way up to the door, with the applicant's mother loudly wishing him luck as he enters the room in a typical helicopter parent way.

2. How would an applicant who stayed in college as an undergraduate for an unusually long time (i.e., more than 9 or 10 years) while racking up several majors and minors, several high-impact publications, and having a generally outstanding application be looked at?

3. Suppose an outstanding applicant who just finished his interview (which happened to be stellar) farts extremely loudly and vulgarly on his way out. How would that affect his chances?

Suppose I said I wouldn't answer hypothetical questions. If someone asked 3 hypothetical questions, how would I respond?

:thumbdown:

If you are a perpetual undergrad with helicopter parents and a flatuence problem own up to it and write, "this happened to me. Is there any hope of getting admitted now?"

How much attention do you pay to the undergraduate major?

A little.
Also, is shadowing a doctor necessary, or is volunteering at a hospital fine as an alternative?

Do you feel that your volunteering has given you an adequate idea of what medicine involves as a career? If so, you're fine. If you feel that you haven't had enough exposure to the doctor's role in the delivery of health care, then some shadowing might help fill that gap.
Would it make an applicant more competitive if he was the president of his fraternity with over a 100 man chapter?

THANK YOU

If you are the frat president and wondering if you should put it on your application or not, I would say list it as it could be indicative of your leadership qualities.

hi LizzyM!

it seems like you and the rest of the admissions committee read through thousands of applications and spend hours interviewing applicants. i was wondering how important the personal statements and interviews really are. to me, it seems like most applicants probably end up sounding similar at the end of the day. is that true in your experience? how often do personal statements/ interviews end up making or breaking the application?

thanks!

Essays are like fingerprints, they have some distinguishing characteristics that make it possilbe to categorize them in some fashion but each is unique.

Most essays neither help nor hurt. Some give us the distinct impression that the applicant won't be a good fit with our school, or seems clueless about what medicine is about, or has character flaws that would be undesirable (egotist, very arrogant). Some are so well crafted that they introduce the applicant in a way that makes the reader want to know more, that makes the reader want to meet this person. Those are the essays that compell us to make an interview invitation (if everything else in the applicatoin checks out).

Every applicant looks and sounds different and has different things to say, perhaps because I don't ask cookie cutter questions about hypotheticals. (eg, what would you do in this possibly unethical situation?)

It is rare for an interview to destroy an applicant's chances of admission. They have to be really bad but it does happen. There are some rare situations where an applicant who was ok but not great on paper turns out to be a gem when interviewed and in those cases, the interview makes it clear that this is a "must admit" applicant.

LizzyM, I have a question. What do you call an applicant's LizzyM score when you discuss it with other people? Surely calling it by its SDN name would be a little odd and out of context, and might also give you away to other faculty at your university. I'm wondering because I realized I would have no idea what to call the concept if I discussed it with friends who weren't familiar with SDN, given that I don't want to take the time to explain the name.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I just call it "their stats" or "their numbers" without specifying that I have my secret way of combining them into a single variable.

Hi
I have a question whether it matters where you go for undergrad. I am currently premed at an ivy league and found the course work to be very difficult. (I am currently a freshman) After talking to my advisor he said there are many students that don't take the science classes at my current school and instead do a post bac after graduation at an easier institution to get a higher gpa.

So my question is whether that would be a good idea?
I know I won't have a high science gpa at my college but yet I feel I should continue premed here because of all the opportunities to do research and volunteer work.

In addition I also have a question to wether admission comittes take into account the EC you did in undergrad if you decide to do a post bac?

Lets see:

Harvard, Brown, or Yale.

Lol, seriously? Why is this so important to you?

, or has character flaws that would be undesirable (egotist, very arrogant).

Despite all these microscopic efforts by medical school adcoms, why are most doctors that do graduate egotist and very arrogant. In addition to being snobbish, mean, lacking in empathy and <add your favorite adjective to describe someone you hate>?

Despite all these microscopic efforts by medical school adcoms, why are most doctors that do graduate egotist and very arrogant. In addition to being snobbish, mean, lacking in empathy and <add your favorite adjective to describe someone you hate>?

most doctors? since when?

LizzyM,

Have you ever had someone cry at the interview when discussing why medicine? I was wondering because a good friend of mine got very emotional while discussing HIS reasons for going into medicine. I told him that he needs to find a way to express his feelings on the subject without losing bearing. I can't see how that would be a positive interview experience. Especially for applying into med school, where you will have to tell bad news to patients on a regular basis.

What prompted your move from comedy films and tv series to bond films?

What would happen in the hypothetical situation in which you answered hypotheticals?

Something that occurred to me from another thread - when people are given interviews because other people declined interview offers, and they wouldn't have gotten an interview had everyone offered an interview accepted it, do you have any ballpark estimate as to how often these people are accepted? I wonder about this due to the general sentiment that declining an interview to a school you won't go to is benefiting someone else by letting them get an interview.

How does a school with a very high average GPA look at applicants with solid (like 3.7+) GPAs that are still well below the school's very high average? That is, is being way up there really important, or do diminishing returns come into play even if a school has a mean GPA of 3.85+?

Just how bad is more than a couple W's (really wish I went to one of those schools that didn't report them...)?

Thanks for doing this again.

Hi
I have a question whether it matters where you go for undergrad. I am currently premed at an ivy league and found the course work to be very difficult. (I am currently a freshman) After talking to my advisor he said there are many students that don't take the science classes at my current school and instead do a post bac after graduation at an easier institution to get a higher gpa.

So my question is whether that would be a good idea?
I know I won't have a high science gpa at my college but yet I feel I should continue premed here because of all the opportunities to do research and volunteer work.

In addition I also have a question to wether admission comittes take into account the EC you did in undergrad if you decide to do a post bac?

Does it matter where you go for undergrad? Yes.

Would it be a good idea to do a post-bac?
See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=956890

Someone who does a post-bac due to a career change is looked at differently than someone whose ECs were directed toward preparation for med school but who took post-bac classes to avoid taking pre-reqs at their undergrad institution. It is easy to spot the difference between these two groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.