Asking about facial plastic surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HishGamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello doctors, I was interested in knowing after fnishing dental school i heard some people say that i could be facial plastic surgeon and it got me very i terested in the field, if anyone knows any i formation about whether this is true or false and what shouldbe done to be a facial plastic surgeon after dental school can illustrate it in the comments for me please, thanks. And sry for my english its my 3rd lang...

Members don't see this ad.

After graduating dental school you go to a 4-6 year oral maxilliofacial surgery residency followed by a plastic surgery fellowship. Then you get to call yourself a plastic surgeon.

Reactions: 1 user
After graduating dental school you go to a 4-6 year oral maxilliofacial surgery residency followed by a plastic surgery fellowship. Then you get to call yourself a plastic surgeon.
Can you illustrate what os the difference between a residency and fellowship please:'D

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: they do a one year facial cosmetic surgery fellowship.

Residency is specialty training immediately following your doctoral degree
Fellowship training is focused training in a particular aspect of a field learned in Residency

What you described would be
3-4 years of Undergraduate Education
4 years of Dental School
4-6 years of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency
1 year of Cosmetic Fellowship training

Some cosmetic fellowships focus on facial cosmetics, while others will teach full body cosmetics

There are some pro's and serious con's associated with this route and you should definitely talk to more than one person who went this route before you embark on your journey frodo.

Residency is specialty training immediately following your doctoral degree
Fellowship training is focused training in a particular aspect of a field learned in Residency

What you described would be
3-4 years of Undergraduate Education
4 years of Dental School
4-6 years of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency
1 year of Cosmetic Fellowship training

Some cosmetic fellowships focus on facial cosmetics, while others will teach full body cosmetics

There are some pro's and serious con's associated with this route and you should definitely talk to more than one person who went this route before you embark on your journey frodo.
So you mean a dentist can end up a full body cosmetic surgeon? Another question is i think it requires md degree before entering this route? If it requires md degree do i have to apply to medical school? Or how it goes

So you mean a dentist can end up a full body cosmetic surgeon? Another question is i think it requires md degree before entering this route? If it requires md degree do i have to apply to medical school? Or how it goes
If you want to be a plastic surgeon, Go to medical school and do a plastics residency.

Reactions: 1 users
@Sublimazing would you be able to legally practice full body cosmetics if you were a 4-year OMFS with a cosmetic fellowship? I know facial stuff would be fair game (e.g. Dr. Niamtu) but I always assumed full body stuff would require a medical license? Just a random question that popped up. Thanks.

@Sublimazing would you be able to legally practice full body cosmetics if you were a 4-year OMFS with a cosmetic fellowship? I know facial stuff would be fair game (e.g. Dr. Niamtu) but I always assumed full body stuff would require a medical license? Just a random question that popped up. Thanks.

It's less of a fight if you have your MD. The full body fellowships (excludes face) is 2 years (1 year gen surg, and 1 year body, breasts and extremities). You'll also want to spend an extra year doing facial cosmetics, so that will be 3 years total.
Without an MD, you'll be less competitive for these fellowship positions. If you do manage to complete it, it will be hard to make a living as a full body cosmetic surgeon without an MD as the public, hospital admin, physicians, nurses etc will still consider you a dentist. Oral surgeons with MDs are already getting beef from the plastic surgeons for doing facial cosmetics, Oral surgeons without the MD doing breasts will get murdered by the plastic surgeons.

http://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/fellowship-route/

Want the MD? just go to Case Western, it's just an extra year.

It's less of a fight if you have your MD. The full body fellowships (excludes face) is 2 years (1 year gen surg, and 1 year body, breasts and extremities). You'll also want to spend an extra year doing facial cosmetics, so that will be 3 years total.
Without an MD, you'll be less competitive for these fellowship positions. If you do manage to complete it, it will be hard to make a living as a full body cosmetic surgeon without an MD as the public, hospital admin, physicians, nurses etc will still consider you a dentist. Oral surgeons with MDs are already getting beef from the plastic surgeons for doing facial cosmetics, Oral surgeons without the MD doing breasts will get murdered by the plastic surgeons.

http://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/fellowship-route/

Want the MD? just go to Case Western, it's just an extra year.

There are 1 year facial and body cosmetic fellowships as well.

Like they said above, you CAN go the full-body route with a DDS, but it'd probably be a little tougher.

The facial cosmetics fellowship can easily be done with only a DDS though.

According to American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery:

They have 2 types of fellowships: facial cosmetic and general cosmetic (full body).

The full body one requires OMFs to have an MD credential as well, but the facial only fellowship only requires a DMD from OMFs.

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.cosme.../resmgr/Docs/110315AACS_Program_Requireme.pdf
- page 14

But who knows, it seems that things are constantly changing in this field.

If you want to be a plastic surgeon, Go to medical school and do a plastics residency.
But i love both so my solution isomfs as its like a bridge between the two schools

According to American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery:

They have 2 types of fellowships: facial cosmetic and general cosmetic (full body).

The full body one requires OMFs to have an MD credential as well, but the facial only fellowship only requires a DMD from OMFs.

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.cosme.../resmgr/Docs/110315AACS_Program_Requireme.pdf
- page 14

But who knows, it seems that things are constantly changing in this field.
So you say i can do omfs residency after finishing dental school? And do facial cosmetic stuff? :'D

What if im not top student is there is any other way to do omfs? I mean non governmental residencies private residencies for $$$?

No,

but if you are just interested in injectables, you can do them as a general dentist :D