asking about LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cotinara

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked two science teachers to write letters of recommendation but the thing is i won't be applying now (in 2 yrs). SO, my questions are as follows...

1. If i am not applying until 2 yrs should I still ask teachers to write me a letter and keep a hold of them?
2. Do medical schools want fresh letters with the signiture and current year?
3. Referring to question 1 if I keep them and want to send them to multiple schools do I just copy and send or get a new one per school?

I was just awondering, b/c in the SDN Big guide to med the guy said he got 4/5 of his LOR's his sophmore yr...I don't know I am confused :confused: and any help will do.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If i am not applying until 2 yrs should I still ask teachers to write me a letter and keep a hold of them?

yes

not that i know of

3. Referring to question 1 if I keep them and want to send them to multiple schools do I just copy and send or get a new one per school?

you should use your school's letter service, if it has one. if not, sign up online with a third-party letter service that collects/saves your letters, then mails them out for you at a later date for a fee (can probably find these online). this is how most letter services work, so you only have to ask your letter writers for a letter once.

wei_i said:

I re-applied this year. I originally applied in 2000. My committee letter this time consisted of the old ones written in 1999 and 2005. My pre-med advisor asked me to get a few recently dated ones (I just had professors re-write what they wrote with new date on it).

Members don't see this ad :)
its good that youre thinking about this early. i think youre supposed to ask the teachers while youre still fresh in their memory, which would be now. otherwise, they have tons of students and will realistically forget most things about you. its easier to comment on your standing and performance in the class after having just finished it or currently being in it. if your school has a premed office, you may be able to have it sent there and let them store it for you. i dont know if freshness of letters matters. you cant really copy and send, because that spoils the confidentiality of the letters, thats why theyre routed through other means besides oneself. i think the office does the copying and sending for you, but im not certain.

cotinara said:
I asked two science teachers to write letters of recommendation but the thing is i won't be applying now (in 2 yrs). SO, my questions are as follows...

I was just awondering, b/c in the SDN Big guide to med the guy said he got 4/5 of his LOR's his sophmore yr...I don't know I am confused :confused: and any help will do.

1. Definitely ask now.
2. They do not require current letters if you're a first time applicant. Some may require different letters if you are a re-applicant, I think. However, it is a good idea to keep in touch with recommenders and meet up with them when you're getting ready to apply. That way you can update them on anything new they can add to the letter, and at the very least, they can simply change the date. That will indicate to schools that this person has known you for an extended period of time and will give more weight to the letter.

Ideally, you should never be in posession of the letters at any time, and you should sign a waiver saying you relinquish your rights to see the letter, which you then give to the recommender. The form is sent along with the letter to give it more weight. Definitely check to see if your school has a premed advisor/office/ any kind of letter service, and use it if it's available. You have recommenders send their letters to this office and they will keep them for future use. They will also make copies of letters and mail them along with the waiver forms to all your schools.

Good luck!

wow, thanks so much for the answers ...never heard of a letter service have to look for one or ask the school to start one. Kept the replies coming if anyone else has something to add. Thanks again. :D

Michigan State College of Human Medicine strongly encourages applicants to submit lettters that are less than 1 year old at the time of application

cotinara said:
wow, thanks so much for the answers ...never heard of a letter service have to look for one or ask the school to start one. Kept the replies coming if anyone else has something to add. Thanks again. :D
I've heard of a site called interfolio.com but haven't really looked into it. Look into the school first--they deal with a lot of students in your situation.

If you have already applied and been accepted to medical school, should you hang on to your LORs?