Asking for a LOR sophomore year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it typical to ask for LORS sophomore or Junior year? I'm going to be shadowing and researching..etc this year when I'll be a sophomore, is it okay to ask for letters now or should I wait till Junior year and ask whomever I'm volunteering with at the time?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require a letter dated within the year of applying. I would highly recommend waiting until the year you apply. That being said, start making great relationships now and keeping in touch with professors. When the time comes for letters, you can ask then.

If you are doing research, try to keep doing it (only if you like it of course) through until Junior year. I know a lot of people also don't tend to get letters from docs they shadow because it is so passive and you don't always get get to really know you unless you knew the physician before the shadowing.

I also recommend waiting til the year you apply. Just keep in touch with your writers throughout your undergrad years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! How do you recommend I stay in touch with these potential writers?

Just drop by their office once a term or something. If they offer any classes at your school, take their classes. If they are busy people, just a casual "updating you with my life" email wouldn't hurt!