Asking for a recommendation- should I attach the form to the email or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Attach the 1-page form to the initial email.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Do not attach the form to the initial email.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't attach the form to the initial email, but describe it instead.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Tea Leaf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm applying to a summer research program and I have to get 2 recommendations (science professors preferred). They aren't recommendation letters, they just have to fill out half a page with 4 questions (how long have you known the applicant, check box for how strongly they recommend them) and sign it, and send it to the address. It is winter break and I am in another country (as is one of the professors I am asking) so I was going to email them and ask them if they could please (if they would like to and aren't too busy) fill them out and send them

My dilemma is whether I should attach the form (1 page) to the initial email where I ask them if they would be comfortable filling it out or not. I was thinking I should because then they would see that its very short and not time consuming, and would be more likely to agree. They also would not have to be hesitant to commit because they would know what they are getting themselves into.

However, I don't want to give off the impression that I am assuming they will fill it out by attaching it to the initial email and annoy them.

So, I guess my choices are:
A. Attach the 1-page form to the initial email.
B. Do not attach the form to the initial email.
C. Don't attach the form to the initial email, but describe it instead.

Members don't see this ad.

I voted for C. Every time I’ve asked for something like that, I’ve asked and described what it entailed, and I’ve never been turned down. I think just sending it to them without confirmation that they’ll do it could come off a little presumptuous.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with A. Anyone who would be put out by that wouldn't be willing to fill out a recommendation form for you anyway.

Also: docs are busy people. Most will appreciate you minimizing their e-mail traffic and simplifying things for them, especially when you're asking for a favor.

You may adapt the following template as needed: "I'm applying to be a research associate at Bayou Billy's Bait Shack this summer. Would you be willing to fill out a brief recommendation form on my behalf? I've attached the form for your convenience. You can return it to me or send it directly to my parole officer. Thanks in advance for your help!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user