Asking for friend: would an applicant for MD/PhD programs have a very different resume than an applicant for straight MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for friend: would an applicant for MD/PhD programs have a very different resume than an applicant for straight MD?

Im guessing that an applicant for MD/PhD needs more bench research and clinical experiences but what about the other extracurriculars?

about how many research hours would be expected as an average? Published research required?

are MD/PhD applicants expected to have high numbers of community involvement/volunteer hours? similar shadowing experiences?

(since Im not familiar with this path, I didn’t know if this was the right section to ask. Please move to the right forum section if necessary. Thanks)

Members don't see this ad.

You can get more insights from the Research Scientists forums where the MD/PhD applicants usually reside with program directors there. I do think for MD/PhD programs you still need the minimums of 150 hours of clinical experience and 150 of community non-clinical service, but the understanding of research norms and expectations is more the focus IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
In essence, you need the experiences expected of MD applicants as well as the experiences expected of doctoral students in whatever academic pursuit one would be undertaking for the PhD. (Usually biological science but other PhDs are possible too, depending on the research activities of the school).

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In essence, you need the experiences expected of MD applicants as well as the experiences expected of doctoral students in whatever academic pursuit one would be undertaking for the PhD. (Usually biological science but other PhDs are possible too, depending on the research activities of the school).
Thank you!!!

My friend is late to the premed path but has the prereqs. Undergrad major and research, and personal interests are in Bioinformatics, artificial intelligence and genomics.

Reactions: 1 user
While you need to "do all of it", my experience has been that students applying to MD-PhD programs can be lower on the clinical experience / volunteer experience side of things than I would expect a straight MD applicant to have at the same school, ASSUMING they have the research experience to counterbalance that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users