Asking mentors/PDs to call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svmophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I had a quick question about when to ask a mentor/PD to call. I've received about 12 interview invites without having anyone make calls etc for me. However, a good # of programs that I'm interested in have not sent out invites yet. At this point, is it better to wait for the invites to come out and then ask my program director or my research mentor for 1 yr (who have both offered to call) to make calls. Or should I still wait until interviews come out? I only ask because it seems like the interview invite process is slowly closing out and I don't want it to be too late for anyone to make a phone call.

Members don't see this ad.

*Sorry, to clarify, I meant should I wait for the interviews to come out and then ask my PD/mentor to make a call versus making a call now before interviews for those programs have come out.

I would have your mentors call now. Most programs that offer interviews later on send out all their invites at once. It is obviously less beneficial to have a call made if all the interview slots are filled; it may only help move you up on the wait list