Asking Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junebug23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some feedback! I've recently received 4 invites to interview for Clinical PsyD programs. I know that asking questions during the interview is very important, however I guess I am struggling with developing questions!

What are some of the questions that you have asked or are planning to ask??

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure to ask about funding at some point--are there opportunities to receive funds outside the psych department, do faculty members have grants they can put grad students on, what is the average debt load and how do students typically deal with this once the loans come due, etc.

I found it helpful to ask what students typically do during their summers, as this information was often not given by programs.

What is their policy for qualifying exams? How many subjects do you take? When? What is the format? What percentage of students pass on the first try? How many students have left the program due to inability to pass quals?

Members don't see this ad :)
How research mentoring works, how the dissertation and master's thesis (if applicable) work? Where/when do you do clinical work (in house clinic, external placements, do you apply or are you assigned, etc)? If you have a particular population that you want to work with, ask about that exposure. Internship match rates in the last few years.

Make sure to read up on the programs and don't ask about something that is obvious from reading their webpage. Also, if you can, try to formulate a few questions that are specific to the program (ex. I hear that School X has a great relationship with Hospital Y for research, can you tell me more, or I'm particularly interested in working with Population Z, how has Professor X been implementing her new intervention with that group).

I don't know whether or not this applies to Psy.D. programs, but I've asked every professor I've interviewed with what ultimate outcome they hope their graduates achieve. The answers I've received have been very informative as to the true orientation of the program, as well as where I would best be suited to go to reach my own outcome goals.

It's important, IMO, to ask questions that show you are thinking critically about the program that would be best for you, and not just asking questions that are flattering to the program.

Ask about what practicum opportunities are available in your interest areas. Are they paid or unpaid? Are there enough to go around?

Are students required to work with people of all ages? Or can you focus on working with adults, kids, etc.? At what point in the program to you have the opportunity to begin focusing on a population of interest?

Last edited:
Ask about how much time/when students are expected to be present in the lab. Some labs require all students to be there pretty much M-F 9-5 even if you do not have a paid GRA or funding. That was not the case in my lab, but have heard from other students that it happens. Also, ask if you will be expected to work weekends at the lab. Some types of research require this.

Ask about the structure of the practicum too. Some programs emphasize assessment, while others do very little assessment and focus on therapy. I was unpleasantly surprised by how many psychoeducational assessments w/kids my program required. I had no idea I would be doing a year of what seemed like "school psych" stuff.

Also ask about how often outside speakers/experts come in to lecture or provide workshops and what topics they have covered over the past several years. This can be a very cool part of grad school, assuming the topics interest you.

Last edited:
A big part of my interview was why I decided to chose a Psy.d. instead of a Ph.d.

Also they asked me why that school, and questions about diversity.

Make sure to read up on the programs and don't ask about something that is obvious from reading their webpage.

Ooh--that's a good one! I recently attended an "infosession" for a masters program where virtually every question other students posed was answered on the webpage. I know because I'd already memorized the info and could have answered them all. Made me think poorly of the other prospectives and the program in general.