Assistant at all appointments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Rising D4 here at a Big Ten school.. A very disappointed rising D4.
Is there anyone on here that goes to a big ten school where they have to have an assistant at all "aerosol producing" procedures?
We started clinic 3 months late due to covid and spent half of our D3 year assisting. Now, our school just implemented a new rule saying we have to assist at least 90 half days during our D4 year so they never have assisting shortages... We are literally getting half the clinical experience and have way less time to finish grad requirements...
And for what? So that we can put another body in the cubicle to "reduce aerosols?" Assisting a 3 hour crown seat appointment or a denture esthetic try in is some of the most depressing hours I've ever spent in my life. It's time I could be seeing my own patients, I get absolutely nothing of it, do not reduce aerosols, and do not even help the provider... It has made scheduling rocket science because we have to get an assistant before we can schedule, our schedule gets adjusted like every week last second by the school making us cancel patients, and patients that need care have to wait months now before getting in for the simplest of stuff.
This is the dumbest rule a dental school has ever come up with. Patients literally do as good of a job assisting as us, we have extra oral suction machines, we have N95s, we've mostly all been vaxed, we have curtains, etc... Why can't they just provide us with isovacs and also stop making us have assistants at dumb procedures that an assistant couldn't even help (crown seat, prophy, dentures, etc..).
I know there are a lot of schools that stopped the assisting rule, but our school likes to follow the Big Ten, so Big Ten people DM me what your school is doing. My class is about to explode.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone on here that goes to a big ten school where they have to have an assistant at all "aerosol producing" procedures?
We started clinic 3 months late due to covid and spent half of our D3 year assisting. Now, our school just implemented a new rule saying we have to assist at least 90 half days during our D4 year so they never have assisting shortages... We are literally getting half the clinical experience and have way less time to finish grad requirements...
And for what? So that we can put another body in the cubicle to "reduce aerosols?" Assisting a 3 hour crown seat appointment or a denture esthetic try in is some of the most depressing hours I've ever spent in my life. It's time I could be seeing my own patients, I get absolutely nothing of it, do not reduce aerosols, and do not even help the provider... It has made scheduling rocket science because we have to get an assistant before we can schedule, our schedule gets adjusted like every week last second by the school making us cancel patients, and patients that need care have to wait months now before getting in for the simplest of stuff.
This is the dumbest rule a dental school has ever come up with. Patients literally do as good of a job assisting as us, we have extra oral suction machines, we have N95s, we've mostly all been vaxed, we have curtains, etc... Why can't they just provide us with isovacs and also stop making us have assistants at dumb procedures that an assistant couldn't even help (crown seat, prophy, dentures, etc..).
I know there are a lot of schools that stopped the assisting rule, but our school likes to follow the Big Ten, so Big Ten people DM me what your school is doing. My class is about to explode.
What’s a “Big Ten” school?

• Haha
Instead of venting here, demand your class president to present your case to the dean

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of venting here, demand your class president to present your case to the dean
We’ve tried, like every hour of every day we attempt to get this rule changed because it’s so brutal.. they want evidence that other big ten schools are not requiring assistants

Last edited:
well, if they don't make you do "assisting" all the time, how can they justify the lack of clinical hours the students have from lower patient volume, lower amount of chairs. this is their way of pumping up clinical hours to satisfy CODA requirement.

one thing I realized from having graduated from dental school is, dental school is a big business and they only look out for their own. to be honest, dental schools do not teach crap. I spend most of my time watching youtube videos or self-explore and learn from a few selected faculties.

that is why you see so many new grad dentist struggling just to do class II or extractions.

Reactions: 5 users
well, if they don't make you do "assisting" all the time, how can they justify the lack of clinical hours the students have from lower patient volume, lower amount of chairs. this is their way of pumping up clinical hours to satisfy CODA requirement.

one thing I realized from having graduated from dental school is, dental school is a big business and they only look out for their own. to be honest, dental schools do not teach crap. I spend most of my time watching youtube videos or self-explore and learn from a few selected faculties.

that is why you see so many new grad dentist struggling just to do class II or extractions.
We all certainly have enough patients to be going at a full schedule all week. I have 30 patients and several of them are angry they can’t get in sooner

We all certainly have enough patients to be going at a full schedule all week. I have 30 patients and several of them are angry they can’t get in sooner
then is it a chair problem? or faculty problem? there must be a bottleneck factor that prevent the maximum efficiency of seeing these patients.

then is it a chair problem? or faculty problem? there must be a bottleneck factor that prevent the maximum efficiency of seeing these patients.
There's no real issues with chairs. They actually think an assistant is reducing aerosols and is making our clinical experience better becasue we get to work with other students... haha Couldn't be further from reality
They made assisting a requirement when covid started, but are slow to change with the times... despite most schools dropping the assisting requirement. They are not reducing requirements or our rotation load, so we are just supposed to finish everything despite starting clinic 3 months late and having half of the time being provider while in clinic

Ask your patients to reach out to Dean and complain

We’ve tried, like every hour of every day we attempt to get this rule changed because it’s so brutal.. they want evidence that other big ten schools are not requiring assistants
Did you suggest the isovacs idea to the administration? Seems like a good solution/compromise to me.

I mean I go to Midwestern AZ and we've always assisted each other cuz we work in D3 D4 pairs and never really work alone, and we still end up doing more procedures than anyone in the country. I've done around 20 indirect restorations and placed 4 implants this year as a D3 even with being shut down, and also our clinic was only open half time for a while
This doesn’t help anyone here.

It’s not hard when the school can fire any faculty not keeping up with production.

Reactions: 1 users
Graduating from Big Ten school, same absolute garbage setup. Admin is convinced we’re getting a better education from assisting. Class of 2021 managed, but boy if the school knew how pissed people are. No idea how Class of 2022 will get by. Everyone hates it here - and I mean HATES. But everyone else I’ve spoken to at East Coast schools feels the same way. It just comes down to 1) Most people running the schools have no idea how their own clinics run, 2) They treat us like children, and instead of asking for perspectives like adults, they hide in their offices and dish out punishments, 3) They get paid big $$$ to not shake up anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Most deans just don’t give a damn it seems. And most students just keep their heads down so dental student governments can’t even build collective action. Our faculty (when they were students) used to have walkouts to shut down the school; they got their demands real quick. I can’t even imagine that happening with everyone on here saying “Get through school without them knowing your name”. At one point, we were considering it, but there would have been so many scabs, I’m not sure it would have worked.

I mean I go to Midwestern AZ and we've always assisted each other cuz we work in D3 D4 pairs and never really work alone, and we still end up doing more procedures than anyone in the country. I've done around 20 indirect restorations and placed 4 implants this year as a D3 even with being shut down, and also our clinic was only open half time for a while

bro, when you are done advertising about clinical experience of MWU-AZ, can you start on the cost of attendance (tuition + fee + living expense)

last time I check it is around 600k or more with accumulated interest.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Username checks out

Reactions: 2 users