Associated Lab Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlouw1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm sure we all know extensively by now, most medical schools at least require 1 year of biology with laboratory. My question is how do you pick which lab to take?

I registered for courses in the fall this past week, and there's two potential options that could fulfill biochemistry lab (which I'm using as my biology requirement): the one is called "Biochemistry Lab" whereas the other is called "Protein Engineering and Biochemistry Lab"

The "Biochemistry Lab" at my school is graded very harshly making it incredibly difficult to get above a B+. Most people I know, smart hardworking people, got Bs cause of the grading scale hence why I want to take the "Protein Engineering and Biochemistry Lab" class.

My instinct was to email my premed office and ask if I could use the "Protein Engineering Lab" as my biochemistry lab requirement. One adviser told me to take Biochemistry Lab since it is the "associated lab" whereas the other said that "Protein Engineering and Biochemistry Lab" shouldn't be an issue since it has Biochemistry Lab in its title.

So my question is: Which lab do I take, and does it really matter that much if the lab is "associated" with the given course i.e. associated with Biochemistry?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pick what's interesting to you, not us.

Very cool to hear someone on an ADCOM say this @Goro.

The pursuit of medicine is filled with enough prerequisites to dictate a large portion of your undergraduate experience. When you get the opportunity to make decisions like this, err with your interests.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pick what's interesting to you, not us.
Thanks for the help. I like the idea of Protein Engineering Lab more because we get to mutate a gene and then study its effects over the course of the semester. I was just unsure because my pre med office (which is normally very spot on) was giving me mixed messages about taking the class.

Does it matter that the "Protein Engineering and Biochemistry Lab" is in the Biophysics department as opposed to the Biology department?

This is a textbook example of overthinking.

The answer is no. We never see things that granular.

Does it matter that the "Protein Engineering and Biochemistry Lab" is in the Biophysics department as opposed to the Biology department?

This is a textbook example of overthinking.

The answer is no. We never see things that granular.

Alright. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it !