ASTRO Spring Refresher worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knucklehead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dudebros--

Are the Spring refresher courses worthwhile? What about the online content? I was thinking about purchasing the 2012 onlne content. I'm tired of reading today and I just want to hear some lectures.

Members don't see this ad.

Dudebros--

Are the Spring refresher courses worthwhile? What about the online content? I was thinking about purchasing the 2012 onlne content. I'm tired of reading today and I just want to hear some lectures.

I think the refresher courses are awesome. The true ASTRO lectures are even better. I personally think these lectures were the greatest single educational discovery I made during residency, and I know my colleagues felt the same way. They are also great for cutting and pasting for departmental lectures!

I found them to pretty worthwhile to get you up to speed to current trends in cancer management and radiation oncology. In terms of boards prep, I found them to be most helpful for the written exam (and then when you take the orals a year later, the material is still somewhat fresh, and you can potentially purchase continued access to the online lectures/mp3s)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the refresher courses are awesome. The true ASTRO lectures are even better. I personally think these lectures were the greatest single educational discovery I made during residency, and I know my colleagues felt the same way. They are also great for cutting and pasting for departmental lectures!

Hah! totally agree. They're really good for quick overviews on expansive topics. The real ASTRO lectures tend to be more in depth and focused but you can't beat the spring refresher for concise overviews. It might be kinda hit or miss depending on the lecturer but for the most part they're great.

re: Reaganite

when you say "true astro lectures" are you referring to lectures at the ASTRO annual meeting or ASTRO designated lectures at the spring refresher course?

regarding getting electronic access to the lectures/mp3s etc... How much does it cost and where do you go to purchase it?

johnthomas75
http://the-d-o-c-t-o-r.blogspot.com/

re: Reaganite

when you say "true astro lectures" are you referring to lectures at the ASTRO annual meeting or ASTRO designated lectures at the spring refresher course?

regarding getting electronic access to the lectures/mp3s etc... How much does it cost and where do you go to purchase it?

johnthomas75
http://the-d-o-c-t-o-r.blogspot.com/

yeah, sorry, by "true lectures" I mean that annual Oct/Nov meeting lectures. The Refresher lectures are good, although a bit short, while the annual meeting lectures are more in depth and there are other sessions like the difficult case presentations that are really good. To buy the lectures, go to the ASTRO website. I may be wrong here, but I think if you attended the meeting, you can buy the lectures at a discounted price, so you may want to talk to someone who attended the meeting.