ASTRO to CMS: "By the love of all that's holy, PLEASE delay rolling out the APM!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Final decision expected soon. We are all waiting with bated breath. Have to say I agree with ASTRO on this one - most programs need at least one year (1/2021) to implement appropriate infrastructure to meet mandates of RO APM.

Then again, Azar does need to make some cuts ASAP to account for all the immunotherapy/CAR-T products in the pipeline for 2020 . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When do the lucky 40% of us find out if we are getting bent over and APM'd?

Supposed to be before the end of the year....

Per the Elekta webinar last week, they had heard/believed that institutions likely wound't hear until December, and RO APM likely wouldn't begin until April or July 2020.

That's pretty much what it is

I'm concerned their will be mutually assured destruction between surgery, rad onc, and med onc. You will definitely hear more about PIVOT, ORATOR, SBRT studies x infinity from our side and we think it's bad now between lobectomy and SBRT for lung mets, hold on to your seats!

Any high risk prostate patient who will need adjuvant therapy for ECE or +margins is going to get a BIG LOUD "I told you so" from rad oncs now. Do we get the left over scraps of bundling from that or rather take the money from the surgery and put it to XRT?

The incentive structure for bundling almost assures antagonism and in-fighting between specialties. Am I wrong about this? Sad, as we are on the bottom of the totem pole of hospital power.

CMS has been studying our literature like a first-year rad onc resident... probably with the same level of intellectual nuance...
Aligning Payments to Quality and Value, Rather than Volume
For some cancer types, stages, and characteristics, a shorter course of RT treatment with more radiation per fraction may be appropriate. For example, several randomized controlled trials have shown that shorter treatment schedules for low-risk breast cancer yield similar cancer control and cosmetic outcomes as longer treatment schedules. As another example, research has shown that radiation oncologists may split treatment for bone metastases into 5 to 10 fractions, even though research indicates that one fraction is often sufficient. In addition, recent clinical trials have demonstrated that, for some patients in clinical trials with low- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer, courses of RT lasting 4 to 6 weeks lead to similar cancer control and toxicity as longer courses of RT lasting 7 to 8 weeks (EDITORS NOTE: I'M LOOKING AT ME). Based on this review of claims data, we believe that the current Medicare FFS payment systems may incentivize selection of a treatment plan with a high volume of services over another medically appropriate treatment plan that requires fewer services. Each time a patient requires radiation, providers can bill for RT services and an array of necessary planning services to make the treatment successful. This structure may incentivize providers and suppliers to furnish longer courses of RT because they are paid more for furnishing more services. Importantly, however, the latest clinical evidence suggests that shorter courses of RT for certain types of cancer would be equally effective and could improve the patient experience, potentially reduce cost for the Medicare program, and lead to reductions in beneficiary cost-sharing. There is also some indication that the latest evidence-based guidelines are not incorporated into practices’ treatment protocols in a timely manner. For example, while breast cancer guidelines have since 2008 recommended that radiation oncologists use shorter courses of treatment for lower-risk breast cancer (3 weeks versus 5 weeks EDITORS NOTE: I'M LOOKING AT YOU BREAST BOOSTERS), an analysis found that, as of 2017, only half of commercially insured patients actually received the shorter course of treatment.​

How it works...

Model Design
The proposed RO Model would take significant steps towards making prospective, episode-based payments in a site-neutral manner for 17 different cancer types. The Model would further the Innovation Center’s efforts to test site-neutral models and to test patient-centered, physician-focused models that provide an opportunity for physicians to participate in an Advanced Alternative Payment Model (APM) under the Quality Payment Program (QPP.). The Model would also be expected to improve the beneficiary experience by rewarding high-quality, patient-centered care and would incentivize high-value RT that results in better patient outcomes.​
The RO Model would require participation from RT providers and suppliers that furnish RT services within randomly selected Core Based Statistical Areas. Beneficiaries would still be able to receive care from any provider or supplier of their choice. Model participants treating beneficiaries with one of the included cancer types would receive prospective, episode-based payment amounts for RT services furnished during a 90-day episode of care, instead of regular Medicare FFS payments, throughout the model performance period.​
Model episode payments would be split into a professional component (PC) payment, which is meant to represent payment for the included RT services that may only be furnished by a physician, and the technical component (TC) payment, which is meant to represent payment for the included RT services that are not furnished by a physician, including the provision of equipment, supplies, personnel, and costs related to RT services. This division reflects the fact that RT professional and technical services are sometimes furnished by separate providers or suppliers.​
The incentive structure for bundling almost assures antagonism and in-fighting between specialties. Am I wrong about this? Sad, as we are on the bottom of the totem pole of hospital power.

"When I first became the chairman of a Department of Radiation Oncology, the chairman of surgery referred to radiation oncology as a “clinical catfish: the bottom-feeding garbage-eater at the end of the clinical referral chain.'"
- Ed Halperin M.D.

I'm concerned their will be mutually assured destruction between surgery, rad onc, and med onc. You will definitely hear more about PIVOT, ORATOR, SBRT studies x infinity from our side and we think it's bad now between lobectomy and SBRT for lung mets, hold on to your seats!

Any high risk prostate patient who will need adjuvant therapy for ECE or +margins is going to get a BIG LOUD "I told you so" from rad oncs now. Do we get the left over scraps of bundling from that or rather take the money from the surgery and put it to XRT?

You are wrong about this. APM bundling is just for radonc services.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Final decision expected soon. We are all waiting with bated breath. Have to say I agree with ASTRO on this one - most programs need at least one year (1/2021) to implement appropriate infrastructure to meet mandates of RO APM.

Then again, Azar does need to make some cuts ASAP to account for all the immunotherapy/CAR-T products in the pipeline for 2020 . . .

Significant probability it will be pushed back an entire year with significant revisions. 0 chance of go-live before April 2020 at this point. There is a reason nothing is online yet now many days beyond 1 November. When CMS put out the steaming pile of dog**** that was the RO APM proposed rule, they really didn't know what a steaming pile of dog**** it was. They got their doors blown off by the number and quality of well-researched comment letters they received. All of the issues raised in astro's comment letter, by the way, are true in the sense that they are based on the best possible analyses of the policy that one can do a priori. There is no hyperbole.

Reactions: 2 users
Significant probability it will be pushed back an entire year with significant revisions. 0 chance of go-live before April 2020 at this point. There is a reason nothing is online yet now many days beyond 1 November. When CMS put out the steaming pile of dog**** that was the RO APM proposed rule, they really didn't know what a steaming pile of dog**** it was. They got their doors blown off by the number and quality of well-researched comment letters they received. All of the issues raised in astro's comment letter, by the way, are true in the sense that they are based on the best possible analyses of the policy that one can do a priori. There is no hyperbole.

I take it you are not a fan of RO APM? Interesting...

• Haha
I am not a fan of the proposed rule for the same reasons no one is. A bundled ro APM can still be done right. Hopefully that is the final result of all this.

When do the lucky 40% of us find out if we are getting bent over and APM'd?

Supposed to be before the end of the year....

How do we know it is 40%? I have not seen any info on how many will be selected. I heard it will be for 5 years if you are selected.....

How do we know it is 40%? I have not seen any info on how many will be selected. I heard it will be for 5 years if you are selected.....

Based on a sample size large enough to achieve 3% in Medicare savings, the RO Model is expected to include 40 percent of radiation oncology episodes in eligible geographic areas.

Source: CMMI Radiation Oncology Alternative Payment Model “RO Model” Proposed Rule Summary - American Society for Radiation Oncology - American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)

The link actually discusses "practices" which is what I've seen discussed so far, not "episodes" of radiation therapy themselves

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Center issued a proposed rule establishing a Radiation Oncology Alternative Payment Model (RO Model), requiring participation from approximately 40% of radiation oncology practices. ASTRO issued a statement on the RO Model, noting that with modifications, the model as the potential to incentivize higher quality, more convenient radiation treatments for patients

The link actually discusses "practices" which is what I've seen discussed so far, not "episodes" of radiation therapy themselves

This is actually a good point. It will be a true bureaucratic nightmare if you have large practice in multiple zip codes where one is selected for APM and the others are not. If that happens to us, maybe we will see a sudden "drop" in utilization in the "undesirable" zip codes. :D

• Haha
This is actually a good point. It will be a true bureaucratic nightmare if you have large practice in multiple zip codes where one is selected for APM and the others are not. If that happens to us, maybe we will see a sudden "drop" in utilization in the "undesirable" zip codes. :D
Yes, will be interesting, I've heard it will be random selection by zip

Yes, will be interesting, I've heard it will be random selection by zip

I’m almost positive this is correct.*

*unless you’re one of the 10 or so hospitals completely exempt from this whole thing

TABLE 3 – NATIONAL BASE RATES BY CANCER TYPE (in 2017 DOLLARS)
RO Model-Specific Placeholder CodesProfessional or TechnicalCancer TypeBase Rate
MXXXXProfessionalAnal Cancer$2,968
MXXXXTechnicalAnal Cancer$16,006
MXXXXProfessionalBladder Cancer$2,637
MXXXXTechnicalBladder Cancer$12,556
MXXXXProfessionalBone Metastases$1,372
MXXXXTechnicalBone Metastases$5,568
MXXXXProfessionalBrain Metastases$1,566
MXXXXTechnicalBrain Metastases$9,217
MXXXXProfessionalBreast Cancer$2,074
MXXXXTechnicalBreast Cancer$9,740
MXXXXProfessionalCervical Cancer$3,779
MXXXXTechnicalCervical Cancer$16,955
MXXXXProfessionalCNS Tumor$2,463
MXXXXTechnicalCNS Tumor$14,193
MXXXXProfessionalColorectal Cancer$2,369
MXXXXTechnicalColorectal Cancer$11,589
MXXXXProfessionalHead and Neck Cancer$2,947
MXXXXTechnicalHead and Neck Cancer$16,708
MXXXXProfessionalKidney Cancer$1,550
MXXXXTechnicalKidney Cancer$7,656
MXXXXProfessionalLiver Cancer$1,515
MXXXXTechnicalLiver Cancer$14,650
MXXXXProfessionalLung Cancer$2,155
MXXXXTechnicalLung Cancer$11,451
MXXXXProfessionalLymphoma$1,662
MXXXXTechnicalLymphoma$7,444
MXXXXProfessionalPancreatic Cancer$2,380
MXXXXTechnicalPancreatic Cancer$13,070
MXXXXProfessionalProstate Cancer$3,228
MXXXXTechnicalProstate Cancer$19,852
MXXXXProfessionalUpper GI Cancer$2,500
MXXXXTechnicalUpper GI Cancer$12,619
MXXXXProfessionalUterine Cancer$2,376
MXXXXTechnicalUterine Cancer$11,221
Step 2: Application of a Trend Factor

So does this mean that rates will be based on these averages minus 4% on professional and minus 5% on technical? I believe that all groups except the magic 11 will be paid the same case rate with some geographic adjustment. No more increase for being hospital based compared to free standing. Is that correct?

TABLE 3 – NATIONAL BASE RATES BY CANCER TYPE (in 2017 DOLLARS)
RO Model-Specific Placeholder CodesProfessional or TechnicalCancer TypeBase Rate
MXXXXProfessionalAnal Cancer$2,968
MXXXXTechnicalAnal Cancer$16,006
MXXXXProfessionalBladder Cancer$2,637
MXXXXTechnicalBladder Cancer$12,556
MXXXXProfessionalBone Metastases$1,372
MXXXXTechnicalBone Metastases$5,568
MXXXXProfessionalBrain Metastases$1,566
MXXXXTechnicalBrain Metastases$9,217
MXXXXProfessionalBreast Cancer$2,074
MXXXXTechnicalBreast Cancer$9,740
MXXXXProfessionalCervical Cancer$3,779
MXXXXTechnicalCervical Cancer$16,955
MXXXXProfessionalCNS Tumor$2,463
MXXXXTechnicalCNS Tumor$14,193
MXXXXProfessionalColorectal Cancer$2,369
MXXXXTechnicalColorectal Cancer$11,589
MXXXXProfessionalHead and Neck Cancer$2,947
MXXXXTechnicalHead and Neck Cancer$16,708
MXXXXProfessionalKidney Cancer$1,550
MXXXXTechnicalKidney Cancer$7,656
MXXXXProfessionalLiver Cancer$1,515
MXXXXTechnicalLiver Cancer$14,650
MXXXXProfessionalLung Cancer$2,155
MXXXXTechnicalLung Cancer$11,451
MXXXXProfessionalLymphoma$1,662
MXXXXTechnicalLymphoma$7,444
MXXXXProfessionalPancreatic Cancer$2,380
MXXXXTechnicalPancreatic Cancer$13,070
MXXXXProfessionalProstate Cancer$3,228
MXXXXTechnicalProstate Cancer$19,852
MXXXXProfessionalUpper GI Cancer$2,500
MXXXXTechnicalUpper GI Cancer$12,619
MXXXXProfessionalUterine Cancer$2,376
MXXXXTechnicalUterine Cancer$11,221
Step 2: Application of a Trend Factor

So does this mean that rates will be based on these averages minus 4% on professional and minus 5% on technical? I believe that all groups except the magic 11 will be paid the same case rate with some geographic adjustment. No more increase for being hospital based compared to free standing. Is that correct?
Thanks for these. As one might imagine these numbers look good to the 3DCRTist, blah to the IMRTist. The doctor will be paid for a single fx bone met and all the work thereof appertaining about 50% as much as they will for 35+ fx H&N IMRT. I foresee a lot of practices trying to become Single Fraction Palliation Centers of Excellence.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for these. As one might imagine these numbers look good to the 3DCRTist, blah to the IMRTist. The doctor will be paid for a single fx bone met and all the work thereof appertaining about 50% as much as they will for 35+ fx H&N IMRT. I foresee a lot of practices trying to become Single Fraction Palliation Centers of Excellence.

Hence the palliative radiation fellowships you guys have been shaming!

• Haha
In theory based on this chart could single fraction prostate HDR pay $23K global? If so look out for a prostate HDR renaissance in the US. CMS is, wittingly or unwittingly, massively incentivizing (and disincentivizing) certain treatment paradigms with this new model. For better or worse!

This goes without saying but would bet on BK and KO and others publically stating this will not affect the job market, or that we need data before making any conclusions -one way or the other- about that.

• Haha
This goes without saying but would bet on BK and KO and others publically stating this will not affect the job market, or that we need data before making any conclusions -one way or the other- about that.
Heck it will save rad onc lol
Now we can have four rad oncs working at a center treating 2 patients/day and with supervision rules each can work just one day a week and all make 500K+ a year
(I always take things to their ludicrous logical extremes sorry)

Heck it will save rad onc lol
Now we can have four rad oncs working at a center treating 2 patients/day and with supervision rules each can work just one day a week and all make 500K+ a year
Just need a 90% reduction in training spots and every graduate will basically be MD/PhD with multiple nature pubs, a 300+ step 1 score, and peace corp experience while they trained on cello with Yo Yo Ma