at&t wireless blocking firecracker at starbucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegMurry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So starting back in October, my friends and I noticed that we could no longer access Firecracker in any Starbucks coffee shops. We could get on a whole slew of other websites, but Firecracker was verboten. We tried multiple Starbucks, all to no avail. We contacted Starbucks, and they told us to contact AT&T...

It's finally been confirmed that AT&T wireless is blocking Firecracker. Doesn't this seem kinda arbitrary / not cool? At first we thought starbucks was trying to rid its shops of the med student campers. My personal solution to the problem was to stop going to starbucks. But it seems pretty messed up. I don't get why att would want to block FC...it's a useful study tool. And meanwhile, access to facebook, buzzfeed, other timewasters etc is all open. Frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

So starting back in October, my friends and I noticed that we could no longer access Firecracker in any Starbucks coffee shops. We could get on a whole slew of other websites, but Firecracker was verboten. We tried multiple Starbucks, all to no avail. We contacted Starbucks, and they told us to contact AT&T...

It's finally been confirmed that AT&T wireless is blocking Firecracker. Doesn't this seem kinda arbitrary / not cool? At first we thought starbucks was trying to rid its shops of the med student campers. My personal solution to the problem was to stop going to starbucks. But it seems pretty messed up. I don't get why att would want to block FC...it's a useful study tool. And meanwhile, access to facebook, buzzfeed, other timewasters etc is all open. Frustrating.

I've gotten on FC using AT&T WiFi. It's probably just your local AT&T. Perhaps there are security concerns on their end regarding FC's site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird.

Never had that problem, although all the Starbucks around my school have really slow wifi that randomly drops the signal now and then.
Wasn't worth the frustration so I just found new places to study.

How can you guys study at Starbucks anyway? Tiny tables.. Tons of people watching to do.

How can you guys study at Starbucks anyway? Tiny tables.. Tons of people watching to do.

It's important to let other people know that you are a med student and have much studying to get done.

Reactions: 5 users
#firstworldproblems

yeah i don't disagree - again, I don't study at starbucks anymore because of this (FC / Pathoma / UWorld have been my main methods of learning this year because our lectures are terrible and unrecorded half the time).

Weird.

Never had that problem, although all the Starbucks around my school have really slow wifi that randomly drops the signal now and then.
Wasn't worth the frustration so I just found new places to study.
It's the opposite for us. we can't study on campus either because we're under massive construction and the internet is unreliable, sadly. The noise is awful and I can't use my main modalities for studying. My class as a whole has taken to studying at other med schools' libraries in the city...and at home.

I've gotten on FC using AT&T WiFi. It's probably just your local AT&T. Perhaps there are security concerns on their end regarding FC's site.
Nope. Doesn't work on att networks in sbucks in east coast big cities, doesn't work in sbucks in west coast big cities, doesn't work in sbucks in midwest big cities. Go figure.

Try remote VPN.
this, i will look into. danke

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Doesn't work on att networks in sbucks in east coast big cities, doesn't work in sbucks in west coast big cities, doesn't work in sbucks in midwest big cities. Go figure.

this, i will look into. danke

It works (as of ~Nov 2013 - Jan 2014) in Chicago, Cinci, Ann Arbor, St. Louis, and Nashville sbucks (first hand experience)... Probably some of the biggest midwest cities right there.

It works (as of ~Nov 2013 - Jan 2014) in Chicago, Cinci, Ann Arbor, St. Louis, and Nashville sbucks (first hand experience)... Probably some of the biggest midwest cities right there.

...and you didn't even visit me.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey i know it's a little late for you but I just started having this problem myself (MS-1) studying for my mini boards. I FOUND A SOLUTION! It involves downloading what's called a Tor Browser. It basically reroutes your internet through a series of computers and hides the website you are trying to get to (think of a proxy server you used in high school to get on a website while at school) heres the link to it https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en you just download and install the software (I use Mac OSX) and it works flawlessly. If you have any other questions or need help let me know! Good luck! Hopefully someone else can use this information and help them out too.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Oh you mean starbucks wouldn't want people who buy one drink, so let's say 5 dollars camping out there for 4-8 hours, taking up a whole table and then possibly making others feel bad while they are trying to study in a food/beverage establishment? Who knew. Such a joke. They are a business. If you like their food so much, buy it and use their facilities like anyone else. If you just are there to get free crap bought for you by dudes, then go to a bar.

It's important to let other people know that you are a med student and have much studying to get done.
I'm not sure I'm reading your tone correctly but...why do so many people on these boards think that anyone at Starbucks or at the nail salon or anywhere would even have a clue what First Aid is...or what we are studying on our computers? First month of med school I still thought that weird orange blue book was kinda big for teaching someone basic first aid maneuvers.
first aid w sush.jpg

Oh you mean starbucks wouldn't want people who buy one drink, so let's say 5 dollars camping out there for 4-8 hours, taking up a whole table and then possibly making others feel bad while they are trying to study in a food/beverage establishment? Who knew. Such a joke. They are a business. If you like their food so much, buy it and use their facilities like anyone else. If you just are there to get free crap bought for you by dudes, then go to a bar.
What is wrong with you?

I think I've reached a conclusion. You and I just like opposite types of people and opposite types of posts.