At which schools is it realistic to get a RA position that waives or decreases tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

environmentalhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm curious at which schools it is common to get a research assistant (or teaching assistant) position that will ultimately significantly decrease your tuition payment. I would prefer to attend a school where this is common in the first year, but if you know of any where it is super common to get the second year then I'm interested in that as well. I've heard this is common at Cal and Yale makes it seem like this is common as well but I am curious as to what has happened in the actual experience of people who've gone to particular schools and tried to go this route.

Members don't see this ad.

GW offers quite a few GA positions (administrative, research, and teaching). I got a GRA position in March of my first year. It doesn't provide a tuition break, but I'm paid hourly and it covered rent, utilities, and other expenses last year, and covers rent this year.

GRA and GAA positions pay an hourly wage which is dependent on the budget (usually $14) and are 20 hours per week. GTA positions pay a stipend for the semester, which is anywhere from $1,800 to $2,500 depending on class size. I know a couple full-time research assistants who get a tuition break, but they were working before they started school (one graduated last year and was promoted to research associate).

I would suggest calling up the programs you are interested in and seeing what their assitantship situation is for masters students. Don't pick a school based on this factor alone.

GW offers quite a few GA positions (administrative, research, and teaching). I got a GRA position in March of my first year. It doesn't provide a tuition break, but I'm paid hourly and it covered rent, utilities, and other expenses last year, and covers rent this year.

GRA and GAA positions pay an hourly wage which is dependent on the budget (usually $14) and are 20 hours per week. GTA positions pay a stipend for the semester, which is anywhere from $1,800 to $2,500 depending on class size. I know a couple full-time research assistants who get a tuition break, but they were working before they started school (one graduated last year and was promoted to research associate).

I would suggest calling up the programs you are interested in and seeing what their assitantship situation is for masters students. Don't pick a school based on this factor alone.

Thanks! Was it difficult/competitive to get your position? I've contacted some schools but have only gotten very vague answers so I was hoping some students from various programs would have more info. It's not the only factor I'm considering for schools but it's definitely one of the top ones as I'd like to do research and also (like everyone lol) would like to end up with the least loans as possible.

Yeah, I guess it's not surprising since these types of positions are very professor dependent and can just suddenly pop up. I found my job through the departmental listserve. As for competitiveness, it depends on the requirements. For GTA positions, they want you to have taken the class or a similar class at a different institution. If you weren't a public health major, then this is out of the question. For GAA positions, they want you to have had some administrative experience. GRA positions are the most variable in terms of requirements depending on the study. My position requires that you've had prior SAS training, which is very unusual for a first year MPH student (though it's becoming more common as more schools offer college degrees in public health). I would say my position was quite competitive considering that I work offsite at the DC Department of Health (think connections).

If you're interested in doing research, your best bet would be to research faculty at schools you're applying to and contact ones who work in your field of interest. Right now, your interests will most likely be broad; I was interested in infectious diseases coming in and now I know I want to do HIV. You may get lucky and get a tuition break out of it, but it's not guaranteed. Just as an aside, the GAAs in our department get their pick of faculty to do research with, so if you can get a job in your department, you'll get paid and have a lot of research opportunities.